Mushrooms - DIY, spores, etc 🍄 (Part 1)

Ive grown the lions mane in 3 gallon buckets on sterilized hardwood pellets. Only done it twice so far but with decent results.

2 Likes

Nice. I should give that A try. Have been using grow bags. But then again just starting my hobby back up. After a Soft start up two years ago. With a twenty year break before that l o l. That being said almost all the liquid culture. I made two years ago was still viable and uncontaminated. Lost a jar of shitaki and black pearl oyster king. Still Have the original.Liquid mycelium syringes. Knocked up more jars of LC. We will see if the original Syringea are still uncontaminated. Something’s growing in those looks like Mycelium. Well run it on Petri dish.
To check for contaminatio soon.

5 Likes

Gotta love agar right?

6 Likes

Well I struck out on my outdoor hunt tonight, only a few tiny oysters. Have some backups back home though.

29 Likes

Very nice! They look really good to me!
Lions mane? Yes?
Pink oyster?

3 Likes

Thanks, I hope I can get my nugs to look as good as my shrooms someday lol!
1st pic: a blue oyster culture( i have a few this is more grey)
2: chestnuts
3: Yes, Lions mane coming along nice fat poms
4. Pink Oyster rdy to harvest

6 Likes

woah, those are beautiful!! I’ve only run 4 strains of p.cubes so far, I got 4 more inoculated grain bags slow goin due to the cold, I definitely enjoy growing them waaay more than I thought. More fun to grow than eat I think so I ended up with too much for myself so I’ve given out about a qp so far. I plan on moving on to edible mush this summer, good chance I’ll need some advice to thanks in advance cause yall be helpful AF

4 Likes

This is great! I’ve wanted to give growing shrooms a try as I’ve been micro dosing for a couple years now

6 Likes

Just came home from a 4 day trip to see some family and my wife threw both buckets that were colonizing in the freezing garage. she was cleaning the house thinking it was my organic cannabis and garden amendment mix that I keep in the same buckets out there. It’s been minus 15 C for the last week straight in the garage so needless to say the pink oyster buckets are dead as they completely froze solid. This is why communication in a marriage is important! Lol, oh well, live and learn. I’ll be starting over next week. See what my buddy brings me. Just gotta laugh at some things in life.

8 Likes

It’s the only way to get through this world alive.:+1:

6 Likes

i made one for my diy still air box, best to cut to arm holes in it, and set it on a towel that has been sprayed with bleach… with out it you still risk contamination. the bleach spray kills everything the beach fumes come in contact with, making your box sterile as can be. make sure to wear a mask when using bleach, those fumes are harsh.

2 Likes

also had no damn clue that overgrow had a fungi section, shows how much i venture from my threads lol. Ive been playing with fungi for a while now, not an expert by any means, but it kinda comes natural to us myco/soil cannabis nerds. glad i found this

4 Likes

yo check craigslist in your area, you would be surprised how cheap people are letting used flow hoods go for. you can get commercial setups for a couple hundred, but honestly diy and labor of love is more rewarding. i have a diy and a commercial that my wifes grandpa gifted me when he sold his pharmacy and retired. got a bunch of cyro stuff for freezing and sterilization too.

3 Likes

Bleach is a disinfectant and needs extended contact to sterilize. Alcohol will sanitize faster than bleach, also it evaporates with no residue.

6 Likes

ya then its probably bro science that was passed on to me, but either way the bleach spray on the towel def helps cut contam rates… also an acohol lamp works just fine too… simple to make with a tiny mason jar

3 Likes

Yes your towel on the bottom of you SAB is fine it will work greatly. I was just fyi about other sanitizing that’s all brother. Bleach towel is great idea I use alcohol for that either way. It keeps dust down and contams stick to the wet instead of getting mixed in the air.

2 Likes

Yeah I used to bleach bomb My still air room.I always find still air boxes to be too small and cumbersome. I do everything liquid culture nowadays. Even my petri dishes are little PC Friendly air tight cups with injection ports. The only part that is not liquid culture is grain transfer into final growblock. So far, i’ve been able to do all the work in front of the DIY flow wall. No contamination YET. i’m sure there will be. But that is to be expected. Thanks for the craigslist idea I will keep my eye out.

3 Likes

I do use alcohol it is preferable in my opinion. But if I remember correctly. When bleaching evaporates The chlorine outgasses and sanitizes the air.

3 Likes

That makes sense. I’d spray with alcohol then spray with Lysol in the air.

3 Likes

Lololol, I’m a huge stoner and I totally forgot about a third bucket I used with the extra Aspen shavings I had boiled off as I initially intended to do 4 buckets, so forgot I filled it and put it in a different spot to colonize and my wife didn’t see this one. they have started to pin. At least I’ll be able to clone some and get some sort of harvest at least.

Wow, need to work on the memory apparently.

16 Likes