Mushrooms - DIY, spores, etc šŸ„ (Part 1)

I did Ecuador and golden teachers and one called jedi mind fuck. those Ecuador ones were no joke. a buddy of mine grows APEs and they are the most potent mushrooms ive ever had. its fun but I donā€™t eat them near as much as I used to and will probably only need to do it a few times a year to get the few ounces I need for microdosing and a big trip maybe once a month.

3 Likes

Ive been eating them about once a month on saturday nights. The ones i have been eating i was told were ape and it only takes a gram at the most to get me off pretty damn good. Source has ran dry and im ready to grow my own. Think i might try the albinos or golden teachers. Ive heard the teachers are a nice mellow trip.

4 Likes

yeah, I donā€™t even try to micrdose the ape my buddy grows because I tend to catch myself having the giggles at 9 in the morning at work. a little go a long way with those guys. I like gt and I really like B+. B+ are easy to grow and always get me exactly where I need to be even if I donā€™t know where that is going in to it

3 Likes

I ordered the ecuator and the penis envy uncut. I seen the b+ but thought that was some kind of rating system. Lol.

5 Likes

haha. youll be happy with what you ordered. I was shocked at just how easy it was to get going. im just getting started at it but I get good flushes and decent yields so far. im sure youll pick it up quickly

4 Likes

Hell yea man. You got me excited now. Lol. Sterile, sterile and sterile is my plan. Im sure if i can get my cakes to inoculate im good to go.

2 Likes

I, too, can give you good recommendations on vendors on reddit. There is one that I (and everyone I know) deal with exclusively. Iā€™ve never ever had contamination or a lack of colonization. I never used more than 1cc per 1qt jar, either. Iā€™ll shoot you a PM. Iā€™d also love to walk you through anything. Iā€™ve used almost every medium and method, but prefer large monotubs.

6 Likes

Iā€™ve used sporeworks and reliable spores. Iā€™d suggest getting Petri dishes off amazon and putting spores to agar first!

Have fun. Itā€™s very easy and rewarding once you got it.

6 Likes

I have not researched any at all about reproducing my own spores. Only about cultivating. Ive heard agar mentioned but have not looked into it yet.

4 Likes

Culture (AKA: Agar.) & Liquid Culture is the key.

4 Likes

I donā€™t disagree, especially when it comes to getting those amazing canopies, but Iā€™ve always found newcomers have an easier time learning cultivation first and then circling back around and learning microscopy and agar work.

6 Likes

Yes, with all the different recipes for Culture (Agar.)it can be a bit daunting.
But, Liquid Culture is a rather simple recipe to learn (Distilled Water & 4% Sucrose never to exceed over 10% PC for 30 min @15 PSI.).

4 Likes

All you have to do to reproduce spores is have a successful grow than make Spore Prints.
There are a few spawning methods Liquid Culture, Agar, Cardboard & Grain to Grain Transferring.

3 Likes

I got a Culture question.
All the recipes for Culture (Agar) that Iā€™ve collected that require Malt Extract (LME & ELME).
But, I know of a lot of people who canā€™t make those types of Culture because they only have access to regular ME (Malt Extract) and are afraid that it will be to strong.
So, the question is:
Is there any type of adjustments that need to be taken in order to use regular Malt Extract or is it not possible to use?

2 Likes

Good luck! BRF or uncle benā€™s tek are the best to start with. If you do BRF, donā€™t do PF Tek (with a shotgun fruiting chamber) but instead spawn to bulk as thatā€™s what youā€™ll end up doing if you decide to go bigger.

Dont worry about agar, liquid cultures, making own spores yet. focus on learning the basics of growing from a syringe, proper sterile technique, and all the different terminologies before you go deep into learning agar or making your own prints. Syringes are pretty cheep and you dont need to use the whole thing in one go

4 Likes

You dont have to make LME agar, there are tons of other recipes. Dog food, brown rice flour, grain water, etc.

Grain agar is good, literally just soak some rye grain in water and then use that water with agar agar and a little bit of nutritional yeast

3 Likes

Okay, if you just want someone do do all the work for you & hope your multi spore syringe doesnā€™t contaminate than yes just keep buying other peopleā€™s work.
You donā€™t have to learn Agar, just donā€™t get frustrated if you contam out.
Thatā€™s just whatā€™s to be expected when you want to do it the lazy way.

2 Likes

Starting off with a syringe is perfectly fine. There are plenty of reputable suppliers that wont result in contam. I dont recommend agar straight away because it requires a lot of time and monetary investment.

Unnecessary.

Feel free to check out my grow thread I went through the exact same learning experience. Its important not to try too much at once and overwhelm yourself and cause issues when there doesnā€™t need to be any. No one (or atleast most people) dont go straight into cloning/cuttings before theyā€™ve harvested their first bud or bred their own seeds

7 Likes

The agar is just to make sure your spore syringe doesnā€™t have contamination. Just an extra precaution. But also with that agar you can go to grains or liquid culture so it expands your spores you do have.

4 Likes

Im careful and havenā€™t had any contamination yet. I donā€™t go overboard with still air chambers and all that but I definitely go through my fair share of gloves and iso. Iā€™m sure you are going to do fine. Once I saw how easy it is to get ounces of dried mushrooms, I was kicking myself over how much Iā€™ve spent buying them.

4 Likes