Mushrooms - DIY, spores, etc 🍄 (Part 1)

This is the first time I’ve grown S2B. Or monotub. I’d had only some shrooms in Pf jars that were pinning and getting big in vitro about 2004. It’s been a long time to this point. I was narced out in a time between them and now and it ruined my life a bit, not really but to some people it would have felt worse.

So hope that helps you all see that this successful grow was something I really needed.

I just quit smoking cigs over the weekend. Found purpose, healing, love and all that good shit :grin: mush love everyone! Bee kind

19 Likes

They are beautiful! I want to eat them! :yum:

5 Likes

I am with @Floyd, I want to eat too !!!

6 Likes

@floyd @prince I’d love to eat some w you both! This was the first time I floated a tub up for harvesting. Much easier and they absorb excess water fast, tear from sub easier. You can see some water resting on some tops.

I took a ton of pics because it’ll be awhile before I see many more fresh. Probably fall/winter make some more. Cheers

5 Likes

Anyone have a good recipe for a medium to grow cubensis outdoors? I know they occur in the fields around here, but I haven’t found any. I have a copule syringes of Innoculate, but don’t want to waste them on the wrong medium outdoors. I’m in north eastern Kansas. I was planning to get some sawdust and cow pies, but haven’t decided if that’s the best route. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks friends.

Also got some medicinal poppies ready to plant this year too. :wink:

5 Likes

So I make a mix of coir, manure, vermiculite, straw, rice hulls, and used coffee grounds. Then pasteurize for 2 hours. You could do equal parts manure, coir and vermiculite, then pasteurize and it should work great.

You know that you need to innoculate and colonize grain first right?

The reason people don’t cultivate cubensis outdoors is because its really easy to contaminate, like 9/10 won’t produce, and the ones that do will only produce a fraction of what they would have in a tub.

Saw dust isn’t for cubensis. The only cubensis that likes wood is lizard king.

If your in Kansas, can you get corn cobs? I’ve heard you can use ground cobs, coir and vermiculite as a decently good substrate

4 Likes

I can definitely get cobs. There’s fields of them around me. Thanks for your info. I’ll investigate and get back to you with more questions. :grin:

Thanks!

3 Likes

Out of curiosity, why set on outdoors? Not really sure what your goals are, but I grow in a single cabinet in my bathroom. I use a cheap Home Depot led light.

2 Likes

Not necessarily set on it, just wanted to have them out on my land. :wink:

4 Likes

I know guys across the pond who just dump all their spent/ contaminated subs into a planter, add some compost cover in straw and wait…

5 Likes

Very nice! I might have to try this as I am very disappointed with the time versus yield with the BRF tek.

2 Likes

I agree on the yield

1 Like

You can use your BRF cakes as spawn. I used to grind them up in a blender and use it mono tubs with vermiculite, coco and EWC. Got QPs from tubs no problem. :grinning:

5 Likes

If you make fruiting blocks for mono tubs you can put those outside or like @MotherTeresa said your used substrate can be put outside. I had all my raised beds full of spent substrates. I’d water my MJ and look a couple days later and there would be fruits popping up. Just spread a little cow manure on top and if climate is right shouldn’t have to redo every year. Cover with some mulch of some kind.

3 Likes

I’m working on a collaboration with a really great company. Basically, I’m sending out samples of his products with purchase of my substrates. Shoot me an email if you need substrates and casing materials.

Nirvanamushroomsubstrate@gmail.com

Check out his symbiotic innoculants

I think the green bottles Im including will look great.

6 Likes

If kept dry and in a clean place, years

1 Like

Usually this happens because the mycelium is still alive, but because the initial substrate is spent for fruit bodies these get chucked away. A friend of mine does this to his pleurothus.

3 Likes

A pink oyster block that contaminated i threw out back. It started flushing mushrooms after every rain last fall.

10 Likes

Oh, I took that block, ripped it in half and jammed it in the middle of 2 hay bales someone threw out in the woods behind my house. I hope it survived winter.

2 Likes

The guys I am talking about rotate huge numbers and only use subs for 1 flush

1 Like