Mushrooms - DIY, spores, etc šŸ„ (Part 1)

After my first cakes. I did cakes again but ground them up in a food processor and used them for spawn in a tub. Worked well.

5 Likes

Good gravy, the waiting is awful :laughing:

No signs of life yet, but Iā€™m still hopeful. This is worse than waiting for seeds to pop up, lol :joy:

At least I got some Oyster Mushrooms to watch while I wait, otherwise Iā€™d be going out of my mind.

11 Likes

Nice! Did you get a kit or is it made from scratch?

1 Like

Got a kit, just to make things as easy as possible on myself.

But now Iā€™m thinking about propagating it just for kicks. Iā€™m finding the whole subject quite fascinating.

6 Likes

Same. Iā€™ll try to make liquid culture from pleurotus eryngii soon. Never tried with a piece cut from a mushroom. I made liquid cultures from syringes so far and wait for my self made grain spawn of hericium erinaceus to be ready to transfer to a mix of wood and grain. It takes some time and I think the way to go is making more cultures of different mushrooms to compensate for that. :laughing:

5 Likes

Seriously considering trying to clone to agar, just to see if I can do it.

Alsoā€¦ Holy heck these oyster mushrooms grow fast!

Do cubes grow that fast too?

9 Likes

Yuppers itā€™s really hard to get really timing before the caps start opening, Iā€™ve started picking my recent cake of golden teachers and as fast as I could pick them half of them opened up halfway through the harvest and they were just in time it didnā€™t break the vail open

hereā€™s my current penis envy cake

13 Likes

Thatā€™s when they are most potent?

2 Likes

Yuppers, at least IMOā€¦

3 Likes

And I only took a 1.5 Gā€™s and if I took 2 to 2.5 it would of been full blown outer body dimension shit and it was happy and uplifting but yet very meaningful

5 Likes

Yes, they go really fast in the end. Not easy to catch them right before they open.

5 Likes

Sounds like you are doing well and I started trying to grow my own when I was in my late teens back in 2001ā€¦ but I wish they had kits like today because it was a little bit more in depth with the process and I only had access to syringes to get and I laugh thinking about it, cause I had to get 3 pressure cookers(not saying that ANYTHING about the Boston marathon incident was funny what so ever) just that today I wouldā€™ve been restricted to how many u can purchase now and then I was doing it all at my best friendā€™s one bedroom with only a bathroom and I small kitchen so it was very apparent that after we were done with everything amd were getting our totes ready we didnā€™t notice that heā€™d have barely enough space to do anything but sleep and shower because the kitchen was overtaken by the equipment and the other area is where all our totes were and then I started out with 4 different syringes/spores and it didnā€™t give strain names only rating for potency and I had 2 B+, 1 A+ and 1 A++ and I will admit that itā€™s very hard and overwhelming to have to do it with no help but I had an ace up my sleeveā€¦my 23 year old cousin who was a chemistry major(hahaha I cheated) but he took me through colonizing and inoculation and and everything else from the methods to continue to flushy cakes several times before chucking themā€¦I was just amazed at how much time it took but once they started it really starts happening quite rapidlyā€¦Iā€™m currently got the one tote with my penis envies at my cousins place and itā€™s basically just a 2 bedroom apartment with one bedroom full of soon to be new fresh fungusšŸ„ and I am just amazed at how they are available online with liquid spores to a kit that is already inoculated and ready to go but itā€™s worthwhile if you enjoy taking ā€œtripsā€ plus u know where they came from especially these days but love to see this topic and I will be sure to update on the progress of the project penis envy lol

here a cake of white albinos and a piece of a cake that I have recently picked

14 Likes

The oyster mushrooms were delicious.

Should I be concerned about these black spots?

8 Likes

Those look great!

I donā€™t know if Iā€™m up for taking any trips these days, although I might change my mind after getting some thyroid nodules scanned this afternoon :worried:

Iā€™m mostly interested in microdosing and dealing with treatment-resistant depression these days. Once Iā€™m comfortable with that, I will have a good honest think about whether I am comfortable enough for a deep dive.

Itā€™s been 30 years since I knew anybody who could get shrooms (that I would trust), so the only option Iā€™m really comfortable with is growing them myself :smiley:

7 Likes

I am also doing microdosing and I am just glad to be near Denver where the studies/ trials are being used for ptsd and other things and I personally think that itā€™s definitely worth it if youā€™re really interested in the micro dose Iā€™ve still got 11 capsules and they are .8 grams and I personally saw the pharmaceutical company making them but theyā€™re not really enough for my tolerance and mostly cause of the one psych medication I am on and itā€™s a med producing serotonin so that is yā€¦but Iā€™m not gonna be using them and itā€™s made from Peruvians so I donā€™t know if you are interested in the "multivitamins " but Iā€™d love to give a little help pm if you have some questions and interestā€¦I am Dr Gonzo lol

7 Likes

Did that for shits and grins. Injected two packages at the same time as I did the bag of millet that came in my kit. Did six brf half pints as well.

The packets of Uncle Benā€™s are colonizing the fastest of them all.

Iā€™m intrigued.

This one in particular feels very hard, like maybe it colonized parts I canā€™t see before it reached the viewing window.

(Those big dark spots are just shadows, and it all looks more solid in person.)

8 Likes

you should let them sit in a still box or laminar hood with the lid ajar so the condensation can come out. agar will solidify quite fastā€¦

2 Likes

this tek is really cool
~=)

2 Likes

there is a difference. when you use a culture that was obtained with spores you are creating new variations of the ā€œmother/fatherā€ mushroom. if its tissue culture, then it will be the same as its ā€œparentā€ in this case its cloning or expansion of the original mushroom. just like with cannabis plants, when you cross plant a with plant b you get a new plant ab right, while when you make a cutting, veg it and bloom it, its a clone, its the same gene code as the donor. same thing happens with mushrooms.

3 Likes

I wasnā€™t talking about tissue culture. Just spore syringes that you buy. Made from prints.

2 Likes