Mushrooms - DIY, spores, etc 🍄 (Part 1)

I really want to try chicken of woods, not positive I’ve come across it in my treks while fishing or hiking. I hear it’s extremely hard to grow indoors but possible. I really want to try to culture some morels, a local variety would be best but I might have to try some other types. Have you tried to culture any of the mushrooms your forage? That’s something I really want to try.

3 Likes

These are the second prints I made from each of these caps. I’m a little surprised that they are this dark after having already made pretty dark prints before this.

14 Likes

I’ll print the same nice cap for like 3 days… Spores forever in some caps

5 Likes

Looks like you could use it for ink! Love the pattern that prints make.

4 Likes

I do too, it’s a trip.

They look pretty neat if you try to use flash when taking the picture, haha.

10 Likes

50 Shades of Purple lol

3 Likes

My first break and shake was done two nights ago, recolonizing quickly!

Also, just took this pic of the test plate from last Friday night.

The cordyceps plates look clean too!

Looks like my “Blow box” (someone on shroomery called it that) works. I’ll keep that plate sealed for at least another week to confirm, but 5+ mins open in the middle of the box while I was working in it, sealing 4 other plates before sealing that tester.

Z-strain LC in apple juice.

8 Likes

That’s excellent :+1:

One of these days I might get into agar as I find the process fascinating, but I’m currently on a $0 fixed budget so I’m sure it won’t be soon :neutral_face:

Apple juice, eh? Interesting. I was considering doing a needle biopsy from the interior of a stipe injected into a Capri Sun pouch just for shits and grins and because I have some around for a T1D family member. I’ve seen people do it with varying degrees of success, and I guess if I’m trying the Uncle Ben’s already then why not, lol. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Yes, but I’m using tots apple juice 40% less sugar than regular juice. Figured everyone uses 4% sugar, full strength juice might be too much. Though yeast loves it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

Just make sure it doesn’t start to ferment… that’s why the usual sugar content is very low. You can make LC with sterile distilled water.

4 Likes

I always used sterile water with a teaspoon of honey or raw sugar in it for my LCs

3 Likes

But if you want an inert LC no need for sugar. Like that it lasts longer .Unless you want to start it off… hence the sugar.

3 Likes

Anyone watched Fantastic Fungi on Netflix?

Please do… it’s amazing!

10 Likes

I have seen that sooooooo many times… Paul stamets talking about his first trip still tears me up everytime like I’ve lived it… That’s why I like the mushrooms… Or just fungus of any kind …crazy relationships between the earth and fungus… something to listen to

8 Likes

Listen to this

3 Likes

I watched that about 6 months ago :+1:

4 Likes

Watching it now! Thanks.
Here’s one of my favorites

4 Likes

Can I make a spore print from old caps I’ve had stored? They need to be from fresh caps that have just lost their veil right?

1 Like

I’ve read it can be done, but your going to have high chance of contamination and non viable spores (depending how it was dried and stored). You can treat it Same as with a fresh cap,put it on something and then cover with a cup, but you need to put a wet cotton ball or tissue on top of the cap. Or, clean the outside of the cap with some ethanol then drop the whole cap into solution to make a spore slurry, then plate it out to isolate away from contamination. Or just skip all that and get a fresh print/syringe from somewhere/someone.

2 Likes

Hey @Mestizo . If the cap isn’t too dried up, you might have better success doing core clones onto ager as opposed to trying to get a spore print. A bit less work cleaning contams down the road.

3 Likes