My First Amazon Grow

Oops, here we are going to pay for the air …

Beautiful space, soon it will be quite flowery too

5 Likes

Need some of them mangos!!

4 Likes

Want me to send seeds to you now? I apologize if i was to send them earlier. I was waiting to here from you that an attempt had been successful. I’m willing to give it a try if you are still interested. I need your address again if you already gave it to me.

2 Likes

The area chosen for the outdoor grow…far enough from the house to make the start of the path inconspicuous among the foliage…the vegetation known locally a capoeira (when the vegetation has recently been cleared but the jungle has reclaimed possession)…around the grow is capoeirão (same but after many years of jungle repossession)…and still further back…virgin forest…

12 Likes

The first step…clearing away the vegetation as near the ground as possible…amazing how the jungle reclaims what is hers…had the area cleared not so long before…wooden stakes are from a previous passion fruit plantation that wasn’t so successful…

12 Likes

Looks like a great spot @elfman

So much vegetation there in the Amazon it’s amazing to me… maybe not as appealing to you as a grower there though! Hope all goes well with the grow !

:v: :maple_leaf:

6 Likes

Mother nature must be really strong where you live :muscle:, there’s a hard work behind, willing to see your progress on this … beer3|nullxnull

4 Likes

Thanks very much @Leaf

Indeed the natural vegetation is fiercely resilient although not so friendly towards intruding cultures…

2 Likes

Cheers! @George

The clearing up (or roçagem in local term) took just short of two days for an area roughly 200 square meters…fortunately no snakes or wasp nests were encountered, though i had to get rid of several ant nests of the stinging variety such as saracá and murupeteca…

3 Likes

Hope you will not have to deal with la marabunta! :scream: They can devoure you while sleeping in your hammock :sweat_smile:, I would be scared to death having real jungle so near, have abandoned the city but not that far! beer3|nullxnull

marabunta-hojas

9 Likes

Not this specific kind… @George …but the fiery saracá ant is quite a handfull too…

Here is an exerpt from a story I’m writing in which i describe this little fighter…hope you enjoy…

The red saracá ant is a ferocious soldier found everywhere on the Amazon floor, more so during the wet months on the border between floodland and terra firma, when colonies several million strong evade the oncoming waters and form subterranean nests with ever-outreaching networks of tunnels and chambers just above the shoreline.
Colonies resilient to being budged before the oncoming waters find themselves having to cling on to anything possible, ultimately, only themselves, forming watermelon-sized globules of floating ants seething with movement and rage. Anyone unfortuitous enough to touch the red mass is met with wave after wave of smarting stings, the pain felt instantly, sharp and aggressive, very much the manner in which the news arrives the following day…

12 Likes

Step two…during the rainy period it’s quite hard to have a lull long enough for the cut vegetation to wither and dry enough to be able to round up for burning…two days of harsh sun tends to do the trick although I had to keep turning the piles over to let the fire get to the moist leaves on the bottom…

14 Likes

Hope Greenpeace don’t see this … frech|nullxnull

5 Likes

Hi again @George

It’s a really small part (200 square meters) of my 750 000 square meter piece of land …and it’s for a good cause…i think they’ll be quite chill about it as I truly do my best to keep the rest as pristine as it deserves…

7 Likes

I was kidding :grin:, of course it is for a good cause Pirata|nullxnull, hope all landlords and governors had your commitment, we are always worried hearing about deforestation and :fire::fire: in the Amazon, must be an impressive place to live in … beer3|nullxnull :seedling: :palm_tree:

7 Likes

Sounds like you have to be constantly on your guard down there when walking in the woods. Here in NY you can walk without fear anywhere in the woods, where the most dangerous thing to be found is you. In Washington, things were a bit different…with mountain lion scat everywhere, and even a grizzly bear wandering through one day. One of the few times I bushwacked I stepped on a large Rattlesnake.
But the cover is much thinner than the Jungle where you would be nearly upon something before seeing it. And you have so many more insects and snakes that could do serious damage. Do you find yourself absent mindedly walking around, or are you always on your gaurd? Its a different world down there for sure. Primal nature. Not much of it left around the world. Good for you for keeping much of it intact. I bet its beautiful.
What kind of book are you writing? What you shared was well written.

6 Likes

Thats a big piece of land! Any idea the acreage?

6 Likes

Great read, going to be following this one for sure.

Upstate, looks like 750 000m2 is roughly 185 acres!

5 Likes

Your growing all grass in that clearing? That would be epic.

5 Likes

The Amazon is indeed an amazing place…nothing quite like Nature to fill us with awe…one of my favorite pastimes is to surround myself by the immensity of nature, be immersed in it, and gradually disappear as the realization sets in on how both significant and insignificant we are…

6 Likes