New gallery layout - The Grid

You can now select multiple images in a post to create a grid gallery. For example see this topic which I have turned into a grid.

How to create a Grid Gallery?

1. Choose right format of the photo for upload - Details can be found here: 🎬 Guidelines for Photo Upload
    (:mega: Save our storage space! Choose wisely and don’t upload two similar photos)

2. Upload your photos so you can see the code with the photo attachment in composer - see more info here: How to upload photos to Overgrow 📸

3. In a composer window highlight the code that represents uploaded photos.

1. Press a Grid Gallery button.

Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 13.21.28

It’s done…

Q&A

Q: I don’t see the layout or the grid button - What am I doing wrong?

A: You need to hard reload the page w/ clearing the cache… preferably close the window or kill the app or try incognito mode.

30 Likes

Well done bro, should save on bandwidth also!

3 Likes

Actually the thumbnails are sent in the very same quality as the standard thumbnails (that occupy width of the post body), so there is no saving. It has the advantage of being able to pinch in / zoom the photo on touchscreens…

14 Likes

We can also just run our plants, build a file, and make a one page thread. This way you just wheel in a couple of times during the year. It should save a lot of bandwidth. Great idea!!

3 Likes

Hmm it’s a great concept and I love that you’re iterating new stuff, but I’m not seeing the grid layout on the thread linked above. Is there something that viewers need to do on their end to enable that layout?

Firefox latest, Win 10 64bit, a few adblocking and anti-tracking extensions, but that shouldn’t impact javascripted stuff as long as I have the site whitelisted, right?

2 Likes

You need to hard reload the page w/ clearing the cache… preferably close the window or kill the app or try incognito mode.

3 Likes

That worked. :+1: Thanks!

Grid layout looks good. It’ll be fun to figure out how to use it most effectively without overloading the user with too many similar pics.

As a suggestion, I’d also like to see the site use more of the available space on a page. Currently there’s a ton of unused space / padding between all the various components of each post and the navigation and everything else that I’d love to have the option to minimize or turn off. For instance, this post only takes up half of the usable space on the page:

And that’s just too inefficient for browsing sometimes.

6 Likes

need to try this :slight_smile: as I like to post photos

3 Likes

Whoa, there’s a night setting!? I can’t find it.

3 Likes

Thanks for doing my thread @LemonadeJoe it looks awesome. I tried to do it myself for my latest post in there but the grid button wasn’t in the list :frowning:
What’s the /markup tags for it ?
Cheers

1 Like

Try the advice above:

(btw you can switch to the grid gallery anytime later by editing the post)

1 Like

I consider the “small” text space a feature. More text width makes it less ergonomic to read

1 Like

I second that… narrow columns of text are much more readable (think newspapers).

Btw @nube , how did you style that dark skin for OG? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yep got it working. :slight_smile:

Tyvm
Lu

1 Like

Works and looks great on mobile btw :+1:

Hats off to you LJ

1 Like

Glad to hear that, thanks!

It’s cool that some people prefer narrow columns of text, but I prefer the opposite. No big deal either way.

The dark mode comes from an extension called Dark Reader. It’s fairly resource-intensive, so older devices won’t like it much.

3 Likes

I am not getting how to ad text with picture

the text for me is go off to the side :frowning:

help an id10t with this

1 Like

Thanks, you mean this one? Dark Reader - Chrome Web Store.

1 Like

I usually add text on the separate line… but the text won’t work inside of the Grid Gallery code.

It doesn’t format well inline with pictures… Individual paragraphs with photos and text work best.

2 Likes