New users and how to join the community

Hey all. Now it may be just me but I have noticed a steady increase of folks coming to OG and asking for seeds as their first post. Now I get that this place is very giving and that we all want seeds but I wonder if there is a thread that all new users could be pointed too in order to get them better acquainted with the community. What do you all think? Something like a check list or things to do when new thread?

I would think the first thing people should do is hit the Introduce yourself thread and tell everyone a bit about themselves. Nothing fancy, just a hello before saying I want free seeds.

What are your thoughts? Am I duplicating a thread that I have missed perhaps? Just thought I would get the discussion going.

20 Likes

I’m new here.
On other forums theres a check list for the grow they are doing. Stops from having to ask 100 questions when people are having a problem

7 Likes

Well let me start by saying welcome.

That makes sense but I am thinking more an etiquette thread. OG is a great community full of generous people but I have seen and heard about many that take advantage. I personally am taken aback some when I see someone that has been a member for 3 minutes, not said a word to anyone and the first words they type are “give me free seeds”. We want new members but we want them involved in what is going on here. I am sure most who do this are just excited at the prospect but it can be a bit of a turn off for some. I am just looking for a way to let new members know that while someone will likely give them seeds it would be better if they gave something back. It can be as simple as letting people know a bit about you, talking about what you grow or getting involved in some conversations.

10 Likes

Yeah what I’m talking about is more of a support ticket.
And it’s crazy to join any forum and lead with that.
I’ve been here a while quiet and still would never ask.
You guys dont know me from adam.
It is tough fitting in here though

8 Likes

Don’t worry about it, just hop in some threads and join in. Lots.of thread that aren’t weed related here as well.

8 Likes

Yes and not a bad idea. It really isn’t hard to fit in here. So many great people. There are threads on countess topics from food to music etc. Just hop on board, join in and make a comment. You came to OG so you are surrounded by like minded individuals, you will fit in just fine :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Meh… The toughest part is starting a grow log and showing us what you’re doing… We arent RIU and gonna tell you that your genes are shit and bitch at your grow style… we’re here to help and look at pretty pictures lol

Truth that all should introduce first in the “Introduce Yourself” thread but not a requirement… just hang around, like and comment and post… You’ll fit in just fine.

Welcome! :grin:

23 Likes

I did the introduction a few months ago

3 Likes

Sorry.
I got yall off topic

2 Likes

That’s a great point. This is not RIU and you won’t have dozens of twits here criticizing your grow. Likely you grow if you came here and nobody is perfect. Be proud of what you got going on and share. If you need help there will be countless people here raising their hands to give it. Own your mistakes as well as your successes in your grow. That is how we learn.

9 Likes

Not at all. I wanted discussion around this and that’s what I am getting. All good bud.

3 Likes

I started a journal today.
I like mistakes. Helps me learn.

5 Likes

I’ve traded seeds before but not with someone that’s not growing.

3 Likes

I hear ya @DougDawson another thing is when someone jumps in here and has been here for all of 2 minuets and their first post is something like hey come hit me up at such and such social media site yeah that gets me right over to that site. NOT most of the time I will just watch a noob and see what they have to say if they comment on any topic or even go-to the introduce yourself thread most of the time if they are asking for free stuff in their 1st post I will pass them on by but for the most part I am a generous kinda guy ol school and will do or help anyone out that is in trouble or dire straights

Peace and stay safe

15 Likes

Thanks for your input. I have seen you to be the generous kind of guy you say you are, I don’t think anyone here could say otherwise. You sir are what the OG spirit is all about. I just noticed today 2 or 3 different people that popped up and asked for seeds on their first post. Kind of bugged me. I get the excitement of this place but in the end people here work hard to make seeds. They pay out of their own pockets to send them to people, it’s the most unique and extraordinary thing I have come across. I just wanted to put something together to show new users that this is not a soup kitchen. You should not just show up with your hand out. Join the community and become active. If you do you will receive all the benefits of this glorious place. If you don’t want to be part of the community than fine, go buy some seeds and happy growing. All are welcome and all can contribute. Even if you are talking about what stoners eat or what music you are listening to.

Again thanks for your input and all you do to make OG such a great place.

12 Likes

Your very welcome and yes just hang around and lurk if you want to lol

Peace and stay safe

3 Likes

Mistakes are the best teacher.

11 Likes

Doug’s been there done that.
Came out fine

4 Likes

There are lots of good people here at OG.
People will be glad to give great advice.
Some people are nervous to trade. Especially those of us in prohibition land.
Just by chatting with a few of you I know the generosity here is great.
If you haven’t been here long just chill, learn grow techniques ,chat and be patient .

6 Likes

You would have to get them to READ the FAQ and such. I read forever before posting.

OG generosity has spread and folks are here for the Freebies and aren’t here to learn or give back.

14 Likes