Northern Sativa/NLD Search at 53°N - Spiritual Herb

Ultra Early Lovepotion, Reeferman - G13 x Santa Marta Columbian Gold, may be more to it, the SMCG is probably not pure. This years seed will be F8. Bushy structure, thin leaves, sativa terpenes - lemon and others I can’t pinpoint right now - no kush or skunk aromas.

Hopefully all of this talk will entice @Arnold into the conversation

3 Likes

I’ve never grown any other Ciskei cultivar the the Bushmans. If you take a look at pictures, they are very similar to each other. Like one huge bud :laughing:

Pz :v:t2:

3 Likes

Haha, don’t know what to add…?

I’ve been on the same quest for almost 10 years now and still not there yet.

It started with maniacally reading all the forums and trying out all the different seeds I could find that would resemble an early sativa. This phase took quite some years, eventually I concluded that it is not out there and that if I want it I would need to breed it myself. Not that this phase was totally useless, I did find some building blocks that were promosing, but needed work like the UELsativa outlier, the HQS Durban and the Mextiza.

Enter phase 2: linebreeding the UELsativa (=UES), locking in her special high type while keeping the light sensitivity. That worked and I could even get the high a bit nicer than that one cutting as well. But still: not there yet. I then did some test crosses UES x OriginalHaze, UESxMadagascar, UES x Punto Rojo. I was very happy to see the hard work did pay off and all those crosses are able to finish here at 52N. I still think this is crazy. However, I am very picky when it comes to the ‘no comedown’, ‘no sedation, no heavy afterhigh’ and had to conclude that, although on the right track, I needed a phase 3.

And that’s were I am now:
I realized now it was time to focus fully on first finding a few ultimate sativa highs in a NLD.
Only after that I can start the process of getting that high into a short flowering cycle.

Once I have those NLD clones I will use pollen from the early/auto side on the selected ‘personal grail’ NLD side, preferably even after selfing and selecting that hightype again in the S1’s

If I use pollen from a male NLD there is too much chance he does not have what I am looking for.

Genetics I am, or will be looking into: Satva’s Punto Rojo, Elanius>MadMac>Golli+JohnnyChicago OriginalHaze, Oaxacan, Vietnamese

But I am very happy that you are accompanying me in this grand quest, it is rare to find someone that has the same critic taste and preference in high type. Even rarer to find someone that also wants that high type in on an early frame. And almost impossible to find someone who is then willing to do all the legwork needed. You have been a real gem!

13 Likes

Here I thought I was unique in thinking of a Northern sativa as a possibility. Although I’ve thought that it would come about with tinkering with sativas and autos and mashing them up. Awesome project you have going though and to see it through for a decade. Great work!

2 Likes

All that added there was a gem!
You have a very clear picture of the work needed ahead now, the vision is half the work, and very inspiring to everyone on that quest.

You doing another UEL/S selection this year? My UEL plot had some major culls, only 3 left from all your seed, but the second generation of the S x L is really increasing the septoria resistance. Only thing is the 2 resistant males left this year are quite late, only beginning to flower. I always like the highs better of the later UEL’s anyway, but this may be putting it too late as breeding stock.

Interestingly, last years cross of Purple Satellite x UEL is earlier than UEL, 2 out of 4 plants are flowering.

How you getting on with the Punto Rojo? You flowering any of those NLD’s indoors or only going with outdoor growth for clone selection?

I’ve been itching to do some layering on all sorts of plants and trees after seeing this thread, super simple: Air layering - success
I wonder how the growth rate over time compares to conventional clones with canna - seeing as much larger branches can be taken, and is there as much vigour as a small clone getting going.

I read somewhere here recently that the TLT Oaxacan is most likely the Cryptics Labs one by the flowering time.

I feel the love! And thank you for being so generous with your seed, ideas and answering my multitude of questions! I’ve learned a lot the past few seasons, tuning into the strains now.

I came across a male in those Mextiza S1’s, fairly narrow leaf, real good grower, super sticky stem, probably the stickiest I’ve ever come across, sour/evil edge to it, any ideas? May there have been some stray pollen that year, or you think a male is possible from fem seed?

1 Like

The Afghan Peshawar is also something to look into, according to @Upstate it has a quality high, the most focusing he’s found and no comedown/burnout. That’s fairly northern for a pure sativa too.

You ever try the Ciskei/Bushmans?

2 Likes

What is this here? A different/new sativa thread I have yet to encounter? Hmmmmm intriguing! :slight_smile: This means I’ve some reading to catch up on :slight_smile: lol thanks for the invite @bonghopper

AKa ultra early sativa ues if I’m not mistaken I believe they are the same plant there was a guy on here wanting to trade me earlier in the season I’m not opposed to it I told him he just had to wait till I made more seed :slight_smile: PS :slight_smile: lol my bad after reading this thread I’m pretty sure the “guy” is @bonghopper :slight_smile: lol and I am willing to trade lol and I apologize for the memory I am also on a quest for weed that improves memory! If you find some please let me know :slight_smile: oh and I’m going to check the flowering time on the afghan sativa “Peshawar” 12-16 I think but I’ll check to make sure

1 Like

Tolerance breaks, or pure CBG strains! Ha!

Peshawar Megabush!! That’s the structure of dreams!

2 Likes

Yes I/we also speculate that it’s the one used to create the mazar I sheriff cultivar it’s just a real old hybrid from probably the 1920s give or take :slight_smile: PS talking about mazar I sheriff being the hybrid of Peshawar crossed with some short indica type just for clarification :slight_smile:

1 Like

Have a Ciskey (tropical seeds) here growing this year. Most sticky stem of all. She’s stretching right now and is a beast, have hard time maintaining her to a reasonable height :grinning: But that’s a nice plant. I’ll report here at the end of the season.

3 Likes

Great stuff, looking forward to seeing your grow

2 Likes

These Moroccan Beldiyas are being grown @ 45N - male is basically done (mid August), fully sativa

10 Likes

Nice! I was eying those Beldia’s too, got these recommended in the past as well.

Is this the first time you grow them? If not: is the high also fully sativa?

If it was as simple as grow tin leafed plants and get fully sativa smoke, I would not have called it a quest haha :smiley:

3 Likes

Here’s one write up on them with more details for your reference:

1 Like

Sweet, fruity (?), soft, honey / baby powder smell
not super strong ganja - but hey that is why we dry sift !
made into hash it is a very nice smoke

1 Like

Got mine from Bama seeds a few moons ago - my plants are considerably taller than the Khalifa ones…

3 Likes

Didn’t know about bama seeds, nice to see a morocan seedbank. Thanks for the hint! Seems difficult to source thoug.

Not sure it would run so well at 53°

Beldia seems to have a lot of attention and releases everywhere, could be interesting to see the differences between each seedbank versions, which one are worked a lot, which one are closest to the local old population (if such a thing still exist).

3 Likes

For more Beldiya fun - Check out this thread -

@CocoaCoir is growing out Ace’s Beldiya

2 Likes

Isn’t ACE beldiya the same than khalifa’s? I thought they were selling khalifa"s beans nowadays.

I’m newbie and starting to read these “X landraces heirloom” etc threads, but they are hudge! :grinning: