Not Just Another Tincture Thread

Anything that helps us better our knowledge in pursuit of knowledge is by no means off topic or side tracked.

I’ve been wanting to build a reflux still for a while… but time is money and will probably just buy one ready made.

5 Likes

that is way more advanced my pot still is more a copy of a backwoods pot type still with no reflux capability that’s capable of doing in one run of probably 96% or 192proof if you will it would take at least 2 runs in my setup to replicate that & this would cut operating cost for sure especially if you stuck to molasses/rum type wash your main expense would be a quality yeast if you want a glimpse to where all this legalization is heading alcohol production & distribution is a perfect exhample of what the government has in mind

That kief up there and the entire QP for that matter are purely for experimentation to see what process I can get comfortable using. It’s old stuff, border lining on the ammonia smell. Garbage. Everclear is 40 bucks near me so I’m bitting the bullet and wasting some money trying this, but with hope. :wink:

I’m thinking 60-70% on this material is a far stretch. Maybe 40-50% is more likely even 30?. So…that’s good info for some experiments. Thanks

1 Like

Even with neutral spirit runs I still typically do fast stripping runs though. Usually when im brewing i do multiple batches as It’s just easier to condense a few batches to 40-60% and then do one slow reflux run than to run multiple singular slower high proof runs. I find some flavor good and bad can still come over with singular runs and there is a greater chance of blowovers, but i’m also not running a super tall column which would be a little different.

If its rum though that depends i but i still typically do a two step run “stripping/finishing” with some dunder mixed back in on the final run for flavor. The still is run wide open both times with no reflux just so i’m not knocking down any flavor. Which is why if i got back into things i would be making a new pot still head for the flavored stuff, as the reflux head even though it works great isn’t as ideal when you want to carry over flavor.

But typically i do multiple batches all at once and just store whatever i make for month’s to years on end, as setup and breakdown for individual batches can be a pain.

3 Likes

So, has anyone other than myself and the OP gotten around to trying this yet or are we still fooling around? Do whatever you’ve got to do for the alcohol and let’s get to work. Time’s a’wasting.

7 Likes

@Kalgrae has done it and was real happy. I have a “depletion batch” coming up and I figured it would be a good time to do some caps. Coning soon!

5 Likes

And I am coming into a harvest.

All too soon, the juices will flow.

Water-driven mill - Thumbnail by Ernst Sch

5 Likes

I’ve gotten rave reviews from my last batch of cookies. :heart_eyes:

9 Likes

No surprises there.

Hope to get to the Green Dragon this time around.

99%

1 Like

@PSam like @ReikoX said, the wife and I did a batch. It came out very clear/transparent with a slight yellowish green color. Very nice looking. Tastes amazing if ingested in the same manor as a good scotch. I like to let the alcohol evaporate in my mouth so it takes a minute but I believe it lets the thc and any cannabanoids linger and taste better longer. I’ll always be a flower smoker.

We passed a few bottles out to some friends and most agree it has a good flavor and satisfying potency.

I’ve got a nice CBD from @Muleskinner packing on trichs that I’m excited to use with the same technique but with the water/fresh flower method.

6 Likes

I made a weaker version last week. I used 15g sugar trim to 12 oz Everclear. Reduced down to 4 oz. My wife loves it, I haven’t tried it yet. She adds 1 ml to her 12 oz smoothies every morning. She’s good for 4 hrs. It’s really green, due to using trim. I’ve got another harvest coming up, so we can use our stash now, and give it another go (with bud this time). I I like the easy, accurate dosing. I can’t wait to try it in chocolates & gummies.

7 Likes

That’s great! My whole purpose was to get some conversation and reviews if there were any. In a format like OG’s a thread can get lost quickly and slide into oblivion without reinforcements. I didn’t want to see that happen because it is such a great tool.

Thank you all for responding so well.

10 Likes

OG and all of its threads are a major league resource. Nothing is “in oblivion”

Use the search button above and find most anything cannabis.

99%

3 Likes

Out of sight, out of mind.

3 Likes

I liken it to a Library!

This thread, I’ll visit every harvest. :smile:

99%

5 Likes

Don’t worry @PSam I have plenty more to post. This thread is just getting started. :wink:

11 Likes

So I am going to try a run of the Green Dragon with a little more than half of this and chocolates with the rest.

First try with the Green Dragon, :dragon_face:

So @PSam I will be buzzing this thread like a fungus gnat.

8 Likes

I’m here if you have any questions or comments. The chocolate melts make it super easy to make chocolates.

4 Likes

From a buddy’s stash.

50 Micron Mesh

Coffee Filter

18 Likes

Good morning all! The other day, I read Rick Simpsons process at https://www.phoenixtears.ca/. Very informative. He writes there’s no need to decarboxylate first, since the heat from boiling off the alcohol does it for you. He uses 99% Isopropyl alcohol or light alyphatic naptha and says 195 proof Everclear contains too much water to get good extraction. What is the carrier in his RSO… leftover naptha? I think I’d rather use Everclear and “winterize” it. I reserved a 1/2 oz of bud, so I’ll find out later today if the “No Decarb” works or not.

5 Likes