Not Just Another Tincture Thread

My mother has been using CBD that she was getting from her hairdresser, and a friend of hers gave her this from a dispensary. Reading the label, this has 30 mg of THC and 200 mg CBD in 1 oz. (30 ml) of MCT oil. They charge $40 for this bottle. Well, I went online and ordered 1 gram (1000 mg) of CBD isolate for $38 shipped. A 16 oz. bottle of organic MCT oil is about $16 at the local farmers market. Finally the amber dropper bottles are $10 for a six pack. For the THC, I will be using my own rosin, but 0.25 grams of 60% THC extract will also work (retail value about $15 here). So for about $79 I will be able to make 5 bottles like this one here, or about $16 each. I hope it works well for her, $40 a month is too much for a fixed income.

My mom doesnt like the alcohol, so this is a MCT based tincture. I’m excited to see how it works out. I haven’t experimented with MCT yet. I’ll keep you all posted on the results.

16 Likes

I’m running low on oil so I’m gonna run off some more tomorrow.
I’ll post my procedure here if ya’s wanna follow along in real time.
It’s pretty straight forward.
I’m using 70 g of trim with some small popcorn buds and about 1200 ml of 99% isopropyl, I had 1 liter plus a little left in another bottle.
1 liter of Isopropyl should do approx 2 Oz material.
I’ll keep adding to this post as I progress.

So, here we go,

Material and Iso been in freezer overnight.

Now back in the freezer to soak 24 hours.

See y’all tomorrow.

Shit come up today so I’m just getting around to filtering it off now, this will take awhile so I’ll likely just finish the filtering and start the purge in the morning,
I usually do 3 times through a different filter each time.
Normally I use unbleached filters but I’m out so I’m just using regular ones today.

Back in the freezer for the filtering process.

I do the first filter in the freezer to keep a lot of the fats and waxes coagulated.
Left to right are whats left of the 1st to the final filtering process.

Shitty pic of the color.

Now out to the sun porch, windows open to do the cook.
I use a crock pot, turn to high until it starts to boil and then to low until it’s almost done.

After this I’ll use a syringe to pull the oil out of the crock pot and then it goes into it’s final resting vessel and on to my coffee hot plate to finish off.
I’m not quite there yet so stay tuned…lol.

Empty vessel weight

Post crock pot purge.

Total weight now = 5.3 g. Wasn’t overly fussy cleaning crock, could have prob hit 6 g.

On to the coffee plate.

Post coffee plate purge and holding weight after a couple cycles.
Final product.

End weight 5 g of golden goodness.
That’s prob the lowest quality material I would ever consider running. I like to shoot for at least a 10% return which is not unreasonable with good quality trim / small nug.

Passed the smoke test, now I’ll see if I can fire off a batch of chocolates before the night is done.
Can’t get good judge of color but it’s got a nice shine and golden, this shit will stretch a good 6 " + when she cools down fully.

11 Likes

Just wanted to comment that isopropyl alcohol is not a food grade solvent. It is very important to get a full purge before making this into a tincture.

6 Likes

Yup, I’m aware.
Been making this 20 years and using it in edibles last couple.
I used almost 4 lbs of infused coconut oil in the last 12 months @ 1 Tbsp (coconut oil) / g oil to make edibles for friends, that’s a lot of edibles.
Not one complaint yet and I can’t make em fast enough.

2 Likes

@ReikoX,
Also, If you decarb the oil properly, it’s pretty well impossible to have any ISO left over.

1 Like

True, just dont want anyone else to try and use isopropyl with the original recipe in this thread. You must use food grade alcohol. You can, however, make the extract and decarb like you said, then add ethanol to make the tincture. Just dont want anyone drinking isopropyl.

8 Likes

Absolutely @ReikoX,
My method is not to be confused with tinctures, it requires 100% purge of ISO.

3 Likes

Hello still pretty new to OG forum, hopefully this is the right thread to ask.
I would like to make an extract using Dexso extractor and Dimethyl Ether solvent. What would be the option of making a tincture for medicinal purposes from this kind of extraction?
I need a more dose like solution to administer to my girfriend to help her with rheumatoid arthritis.
Initially I was going to make classic RSO using medical nafta. However, I have just found out about other methods of extraction namely BHO and DMO which should produce cleaner results. I still may use the “old” rice cooker method to make RSO for topical use. This also brings me to another question. Can you do two rounds with source material using butane or DMe?
Thank you kindly for advice

1 Like

Welcome to OG. This thread is about using ethanol to make tinctures. And using those tinctures to make edibles. I suggest you give it a read, I know it is in-depth but will have a lot of relevant information to help you make your own cannabis based medicines.

That being said, any properly made extract can be used to make tinctures. Simply decarboxylate the concentrate (instructions in the first few posts) and add about 1.0-1.5 grams per ounce of alcohol and it is ready to use.

I prefer Ice Water Exctact (IWE) and rosin because they are made without solvents. For oral use I prefer food grade solvent (ethanol) and a rice cooker is a great double boiler.

I wouldnt touch naptha, even medical. I have not seen any DMO threads here, saw one on ICMag. You should start one, some might be interested.

2 Likes

Minor update on ISO run.
Will finish off tomorrow.

2 Likes

The problem with food grade ethanol (96%) or medical ethanol (96%) is the price. So far I have been able to source it for aprox 45$/liter here in the Czech Republic. Will try searching harder I guess

1 Like

Yes ethanol is expensive even here in the US it is $20 for 750ml. I explain how to use lower proof alcohol in this thread, have you read any of it yet? It addresses some of these issues.

You can still make tinctures with lower proof alcohol and any already made extract. QWISO, BHO, RSO, C02, dry sift, dry ice, ice water, rosin, etc. I wont be discussing how to do the alternate forms of extract in this thread though.

1 Like

Another update, almost there.

1 Like

Are there supposed to be pictures here?

Just to recap, I will be making five ounces of this MCT based tincture. As you can see, it has 30 mg THC and 200 mg CBD in 1 oz. oil.

First I weighed out about 0.25 grams of Creme Brulee rosin. This has an estimated THC content of 60% or about 150 mg of THC.

This was gently heated with the five ounces of MCT oil until the rosin thcompletely dissolved.

Then I stirred in 1 gram of CBD isolate.

Finally the whole jar was put in the oven at 240°F for about 40 minutes to activate it. The oil was transferred into a dropper bottle for convenient dosing. Initial testing yields promising results.

Now comes the fun part, I can easily add more THC or CBD to these tinctures. The tincture I’m imitating has about a 7:1 CBD to THC ratio. I wanted to try one that was a tad stronger the standard 20:1 ratio, so I started with a one oz. bottle of the original potency (30 mg/oz. THC and 200 mg/oz. CBD) and added an additional 400 mg of CBD isolate. This bottle has 30 mg/oz. THC and 600 mg/oz. CBD. I made one more bottle with about a 3:1 ratio that has 150 mg/oz. THC and 500 mg/oz. CBD.

14 Likes

LOL, sorry,
I have been just editing the original post (322) and adding the pics there so everything is in one spot.
Sorry for the confusion.

1 Like

Dope! Now I see the updates, I get it, you replied to the old post. Looking good so far!

1 Like

All done, final update.
Post 322

1 Like

Is this rubbing Alcohol?

1 Like

Yes

1 Like