Not Just Another Tincture Thread

In this case you would use the THC % as tested. This is just an estimate, if you really want to know you would have to send it to a lab. I have done this in the past and the estimate is pretty close.

The highest you can realistically get is 95% ethanol. It is possible to get 100%, but very expensive and it will pull moisture out of the air until it is 95% if not sealed. Even 100% ethanol will pull the water soluble terpenes because ethanol is a polar solvent.

4 Likes

Essential oil and hydrosol extractions for the win? Would be a great excuse to own a pot still.

5 Likes

So my brother, on a professional level, vacuum distills the terpenes first, then does a cryogenic ethanol extraction. Finally he distills it and adds the terpenes back.

7 Likes

OMG yes! Someone had to be doing it. The way I heard how it’s been done for years makes me angry. So much waste. This sounds like the only good way to extract if you’re using a expensive route anyways

1 Like

Here’s a question. Could you distill the “oil” like you do for essential oils, with a still and condense into a separating vessel? I know, like with other plant material you collect a whole lot of hydrosol and very little oil, but what you do get is highly concentrated. My only thought would be would the cannabinoids be pulled by the oil?

3 Likes

You distill the cannabinoids with a rotovap. Generally the hydrosol is a lower temperature

2 Likes

Ugh, that’s beyond my ability to dream. :sob::joy: :joy: The volume you’d have to process just to break even on a good short path wiped film still!? :heart_eyes: :hugging:

3 Likes

The minimum they run is two pounds, or one kilogram.

2 Likes

Damn I wish I had that much to run☺️ I’d finally be set for a few months. Stress eats a high like I eat beef: It’s gone before I can process what’s happening.

2 Likes

My second batch of candy ended up being much stronger now that I actually properly followed the directions. I gave most of it away but most people liked it, a few saying it needed to be stronger. Definitely going to keep using it.

I know this is a tincture and not an edible thread but I thought I’d ask here since all the experienced ones seem to hang out here. I want to infuse a bunch of shake into some butter and make some cookies. Since it is mostly plant material and uses most of a bottle of alcohol ($60 a L here) to get enough to be potent enough I am wondering if I could just decarb my material as normal and infuse it for a certain time and temperature in a pound or more of butter. Would I have to lower the decarb time or bake them at a very low temp to avoid degrading them or should they work out fine?

The recipe here works great but because of the high price of alcohol here I am wondering if there is an other option for mostly plant material without turning it into hash. I want to save the expensive stuff for making edibles with buds since I have to use less. I’ll have to start taking pics of the progress.

2 Likes

This is “not just another tincture thread” because it is also about edibles too. Your question is relevant, IMO. I would suggest coconut oil instead of butter.

Here is how I used to make my “budder”…

http://www.badkatscannapharm.com/medical-grade-oil-card

Just browsing there, I noticed a few new recipes I should check out. I would be interested in how her Cherry cordial compare to mine…

9 Likes

Thanks again for taking the time to put this all together @ReikoX! Finally got around to making the Root’s n all cream today. Turned out great!

9 Likes

How did you end up processing the roots? Dry or still wet? I have my last grow roots dried for pulverizing in a mortar and pestle to make a balm or cream with for my back, shoulder, hands, elbow, knees, and ankles​:sweat_smile: I try not to think about all the crap I push through :sweat_smile:

I washed them a couple times and dried them. I couldn’t get mine as clean looking as reikox’s, but they get filtered anyway. Infused with coconut oil in a Crock-Pot for 24 hrs.
The Root’s n all recipe is on post 264.

5 Likes

I’ll have to snap pics of mine, but I found after drying they shook off the last crumbs of dirt easily. After harvest they actually stayed alive in the soil for a bit. No sign of root rot like everyone thought I had or it fixed itself perfectly after. Now I have nice beige color roots almost white. Definitely dry by now, so next chance I get I’ll be making that infusion. Though I’ll be having a twist with MCT oil, sunflower lecithin, coconut oil, cocoa butter, and Shea butter. I’ll be mixing with a electric mixer until fully emulsified before I give it a couple hours in the freezer before I mix one more time for superstitious reasons.

3 Likes

Curious –

Has anyone here tried dehydrating everclear with epsom first? Wonder if it’s worth it.

Eg. https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/16386741

Basically you bake the water out of epsom salt, then filter alcohol through the epsom. The water affinity of the epsom will pull any remaining water out of the alcohol.

5 Likes

It turns out I may end up with 25 gallons or more of aero roots when I harvest this crop. I also have some left over Green Dragon. Id like to try this root cream thing.

How do you recommend drying the roots so they dont rot? Im going to end up with one large root ball that is about 24" across x maybe 10" thick, plus a mat about 24" x 3" thick. The main tap root is maybe 1.5" in diameter with lots of smaller ones in the 1/4" to 1/2" range. Do you use the big fat ones too or just the smaller roots?

4 Likes

Use the smaller roots, cut them.up, dry them on cardboard or newspaper.

3 Likes

So, how dry is dry enough? Do they need to be powder dry or is still somewhat moist ok or? Should the root shoots break like dry spaghetti or? Never done this before so not sure.

2 Likes

The dryer the better, but it doesnt really matter. You dont want too much moisture as water and oil dont mix well. I live in the high desert, so they dry quickly here.

2 Likes