Not Just Another Tincture Thread

I have found that thick layers dont dry evenly. The tops and edges get over cooked while the center parts that are covered up stay wet. It takes more runs in the oven, but a single layer works much better for me.

5 Likes

Yes a thick layer will require a few more minutes and a stirring or two.

5 Likes

Does more minutes impact quality?

Not sure what you mean by impact quality, but if you dont get an even heat, it could lead to a partial decarb. It will definitely improve potency if you have a thick layer.

2 Likes

Re quality: Assuming it’s kept below the terp boiling point and one doesn’t decarb the cannabinoids there wont be reduction of flavor or potency.
Does the longer cooking of the vegetable matter affect taste or purity of distillate?

1 Like

Remembering this: https://greencamp.com/decarboxylation/

And this in particular:

8 Likes

As that image shows, decarboxylation first activates THCA to THC, but if left too long will begin to degrade to CBN. Again we are talking an additional 5 minutes to co.pensate for the thicker layer as part of this discussion.

If you want to preserve flavor and terpenes, the natural decarboxylation method can be used. Its described in this post:

10 Likes

Another massive thread I got lost in for an hour still have lots to go. A great bunch of info @ReikoX thanks for taking the time.

6 Likes

Finally got around to finishing off the extract. This was mostly from the food grade hash and leftovers after pressing it for rosin. It weighed about 9.5 grams. I’ll use it for edibles.

13 Likes

As I always find my self tinkering was wondering @ReikoX if ya have ever done a partial decarb when making topicals and/or edibles? Been watching some stuff from Ethan Russo about the benefits of THCA could one get more benefits of a 1:1 Batch of decarb vrs. Non- decarb? Looking to do this with some homemade ointments and edible sweet tarts!

4 Likes

Yes! In fact I make a tincture of non-decarbed Juanita la Lagrimosa. It’s a 1:1 THCA:CBDA and kills anxiety dead in its tracks. I call it my rescue medication. The buds were not decarbed and no heat was used to evaporate it either.

9 Likes

Maybe a stupid question, but are you sure it’s the THCA and CBDA and not just the alcohol?

I’m going to make an undecarbed tincture tomorrow from the Sweet Pure Auto CBD but not sure what to expect.

3 Likes

I’ve used a partial decarb for topicals quite a few times with the same results. I usually do a full decarb because I use my general purpose tincture but not always if using leaf just for the topical. Try it out and see.

3 Likes

Considering the dose is about 1ml, I doubt the alcohol is making much of a difference. THCA is not psychoactive so it just leaves me with a general feeling of wellness. It’s my secret weapon for trips in public (major source of anxiety for me).

5 Likes

I made my first tincture using the freezer, no decarb. It’s light green, I was rather lazy with trimming.

Any idea how long it will take to reduce if I just let the open mason jar sit on the shelf without any fan?

4 Likes

It’s hard to say, it really depends on ambient humidity, temperature, and the surface area. Usually I put it in front of my AC unit in the grow room. Even then it takes about 12 hours.

4 Likes

I left it for 12 hours and from what evaporated so far I’d say it will take several days, maybe even a week.

2 Likes

I lost patience and put a fan on top of the jar. I can tell it’s working by the smell, just passing by gave me a headache. :weary:

If I forget to check tonight there might be nothing left tomorrow. :laughing:

1 Like

No worries, you can always add more alcohol. :+1::seedling:

2 Likes

Using the fan I achieved the same in a few hours that took 3 days before. Should have thought of it earlier. :wink:

I used a syringe to harvest the clear part without the debris on the ground. I got about 45ml of a very sexy looking, light green / golden tincture and 5ml of very cloudy, presumably sticky liquid. Nice!

Trying the freezer method was worth the extra work, looks nicer than my earlier tinctures. Don’t know about the taste yet.

Waiting for the cloudy part to settle in the syringe, trying to get a few more clear ml. What is the debris actually? Trichomes? Other plant matter?

Edit: found the same question here. Answer was, either wax or trichomes.

Next I will decarb small amounts at 100°C (in boiling water) for various amounts of time and test for CBD to get an idea how long I need to activate it if I want to use this way. I have read 2–4 hours for high CBD plant material elsewhere.

LOL nope I won’t, the tubes popped open seconds after I threw them into the water. Gotta do it another way. Adding oil and leaving the tubes open should work. I’d let the alcohol evaporate, transfer the cannabinoids to the oil and then test the oil for CBD. But I’d need a stand to hold the tubes upright in the water.

3 Likes