Not Just Another Tincture Thread

Thanks @ReikoX, I’m gonna get busy now :grin:

9 Likes

I did my first Green Dragon in early Jan this year, and its the best thing I ever did. I cant stand smoking, so I had been making oil from ground up bud - grind the bud, decarb, then slow cook in oil for a couple of hours.

The taste was awful! I used it to make brownies and I am to the point I cant stand the thought of eating another brownie as long as I Live!!!

I made some with Coconut oil, and it was very slightly better, but still very bad taste.

Then I found out more about making Green Dragon from @ReikoX. I used Ever Clear to make some Green Dragon from decarbed bud. Then I cooked off all the Ever Clear and dissolved the resulting resin in some Coconut oil and used that to make capsules.

No more bad taste and easy dosing! I made some caps with three drops of coconut oil and some with 4 drops. I love the three drop caps for day time use. Thats just enough to take the edge off my chronic pain and put me in a good mood without making me too sleepy. I can take one every 4 hours or so and stay nice and steady.

Then, if the pain is worse or for going to bed, I can take one or more of the 4 drop caps to get through the night. So far, about 6 of the four drop caps is the most Ive had to take in one night when I’ve had moderate pain from kidney stones.

I still have a little Green Dragon I set aside, but havent felt the need or desire to use it. Its much better in tea or coffe, but still has some taste. Not real bad though.

This (caps) is the best thing I ever did as far as pain management.

17 Likes

Almost forgot the main thing I wanted to say - this thread needs to get stickied or put in the FAQ section or something, so its easy to find and always on top.

5 Likes

Thanks for the positive feedback, most people who try the recipe like it. It has so many possible uses, stores better than oils (butter, coconut, etc), and doesn’t have a bitter taste in edibles.

I also owe you some thanks for inspiring me to finally finish this thread. I had wanted to start the thread for a while, and even got @PSam on board. Then your thread I gave you the Reader’s Digest version. After that I knew I had to lay it out for everyone. I have more stuff im working on now, mainly some topicals.

14 Likes

doing a large batch of seeded bud leftovers today, used up about 12 ounces of alcohol. I learned to use parchment paper from this thread! huge improvement, now the trichomes don’t stick to the baking pan after decarb.

14 Likes

finished product. I soaked 12 ounces of alcohol. Only about 9 came out when I pressed the herb on the sieve, so I poured another 1.5 oz. through the herb and squeezed again, hopefully getting some more cannabinoids out.

have not tested yet. The last batch I made from trim came out weak so I evaporated it down by 50%. This is from flower so hopefully it won’t need it. The 4-ounce bottles from Mountain Rose are great for this!

14 Likes

Very clear tincture you’ve made :+1: Thanks for the tip on where to find reasonably priced bottles like yours @Muleskinner, I ordered different sizes to see what works best for our needs.

2 Likes

Im looking forward to the topicals info!

1 Like

So I’m probably going to make green dragon this weekend if my goodies are dry enough, I’ll probably have about an ounce of trim and small buds to work with.

Any recommendations? I’m planning on following the procedure by @ReikoX will just be using more herb.

2 Likes

You don’t have to worry too much about moisture if you decarb as described in this thread. The decarb will dry the flowers. If they are really damp you can dry it at 170°F for a bit until it crumbles easily between your fingers. Don’t skip the oven thermometer, temperature needs to stay ± 5°F. The freezer is your friend, keep it as cold as possible. You’ll do great, tincture is awesome for travel because it doesn’t smell :wink:

4 Likes

Do they let liquids on planes yet?

:airplane_departure:

1 Like

Less than 3oz on carry on. No restrictions on checked luggage. :airplane:

2 Likes

No clue how to check thc % on liquid thc.

Vaping keeps me high after several puffs.

tincures if you like but has little effect since s I’m smoking a blunt. :money_with_wings:

1 Like

Got my everclear today and the required oven thermometer. Will be making some Green Dragon Tomorrow after everything’s had a good freeze :slight_smile:

My Big oven wouldn’t go to 240, it’s digital and would only do 225 or 250 lol. (Oven thermometor confirmed this)

So, I had a very small toaster oven with a dial for temp, it was able to reach 240 and hold for 10 minutes so I went ahead and put my herb i’m going to decarb in a silicone “dabbers” pan and am in the process of Decarbin :slight_smile:

1 Like

IMO 250 degrees is fine, just do 25 minutes instead of 30 @ 240.

7 Likes

By that graph I could have just used 225 for longer. :slight_smile:

1 Like

gotta love the scientific lingo…"effect of heating time and temperuture on the THC content of an n-hexane marijuana extract after heating on the glass surface in an open reactor

translation…here’s a graph of our dab sesh!!! :smile:

5 Likes

I am not going to smoke any of my harvest - just make Green Dragon and RSO. So, I can skip the hanging/drying stage, and go straight from trimming into the oven at 170 to dry it out. Then, increase to 240 for the 30-40 minutes or so to de-carb?

That would save me a LOT of time and trouble!

Is there any advantage to grinding the bud up first? I was thinking of just cutting the stems into short enough pieces to fit in a tall mason jar, adding in any other stems and leaves that look like they have trichomes, and then filling the jars with Ever Clear and process. Maybe freezing the EverClear and the stuff in the jars before mixing.

That sound good?

4 Likes

The only advantage I can think of is more surface area and greater solvent penetration. (Better Yield on the extraction)

I just jarred up 1oz of decarbed bud, it was pretty crunchy so I took a plastic butter knife and chopped it in the jar so it’d fit better. It was so dry that this process made it look like I had used a grinder on a whole ounce.

Although I did just get a really big grinder…

4 Likes

For your situation, where you are making caps, ice water extract may be a better option. You can wash the buds fresh off the stalk, no need to dry, and you won’t lose the terpenes like you would drying it in the oven. A cheap set of bags can be found on Amazon, though the quality bags are better. Get what you pay for and all that…

Once you dry the hash (usually a couple of days or so), it is easily decarbed, added to coconut oil and capped up. If you want a tincure, you can use it as described in the “using concentrates” portion of the tutorial.

6 Likes