Not Just Another Tincture Thread

It isn’t really necessary to grind the buds up before the decarb, and after it’s quite easy to break it up just by shaking the jar a few times in the freezer. This also helps knock off some of the brittle trichomes making them easier to extract.

5 Likes

Oh, Didn’t know that. Thanks!

As stated above I didn’t “grind” them just kind of broke everything up enough to be lose in the jar when I shake it.

Now to just not be impatient and wait for everything to get good and cold.

4 Likes

When you get impatient, go shake the jar. :thumbsup:

3 Likes

But I haven’t added the everclear yet lol.

Edit: @ReikoX
Would I need to reduce my green dragon as i’m using a whole oz of bud? I’m going to follow the rest of the directions to a T, but I may have to add more alcohol to get everything saturated. There’s a lot more bud in my jar than in your tutorial pics.

(0.2 * 28000 mg * 0.75)/120 ml = 35 mg/ml.
(that’s assuming a lot but I followed your formula listed above)

Should be fairly potent without reducing imo.

2 Likes

I learn something new every time you make a post! :slight_smile:

I thought terpenes were just a flavor thing for smokers? Do they add to the medical or ‘high’ effects when using oil extract?

Either way, I doubt I will do the ice water thing or dry ice, etc. That just seems like way to much trouble to me, unless there is a strong benefit from keeping more terpenes in the extract.

2 Likes

Check out “the entourage effect”.

Probably mentioned on this site.

5 Likes

Second question - how is decarbing before the water wash different from decarbing after? Wouldnt you loose the tepenes either way? Or is decarbing hash different in some way?

1 Like

Ah, I had forgotten about that. For some reason I was thinking it only applied to smoking.

1 Like

Your temperature can range from 240°-250°, You don’t want it to get higher or lower if it can be avoided. My own lab studies show that’s the best range and 40 minutes the optimal time.

5 Likes

This isn’t really a very good graph and is really old. I’ve got one that I think is more appropriate for this information. I’ve done my own study with a lab. This is what I’ve found:

18 Likes

I don’t want to just drop a chart on everybody here without explanation but I also don’t want to clutter up the thread so here’s something brief. I have a lot more on the subject but I’m not comfortable copying and pasting from another posting elsewhere and right now my neck is bothering me too much to customize it. I have enough on the subject for a thread of it’s own, heated and natural decarb. If there’s interest and my neck gets better I’ll create a thread. In the meantime, here’s a start

Because decarb is an essential step for the successful ingestion of cannabis, I’m posting this decarb study that I created using my own lab testing results. It compares different time and temperature decarb results. I used older buds but also freshly harvested ones to ensure equal comparisons. This establishes that the parameters for a successful conversion is the same for newly harvested or aged up to a year at least.

By looking at the ratio of THCA to THC of each sample, we can see that the older one has considerably more THC than THCA due to the aging process but the point needs to be made here that it still took the same time/temp to get full conversion. That indicates to me that unless the material is so aged that it has less than 1/4 unconverted, it will still need 240/40.

Lab tests aren’t exact and results can vary from sample to sample of the same material. These tests were performed with the same material of each strain. The top portion was some mediocre buds that I had a lot of, older OG Kush from dubious origin. I did the basic research with that and after determining that 240°F for 40 minutes was optimal, I used the fresh Kona Gold with high THCA to prove the point.

There’s other interesting things going on there but I’ll leave that for later.

20 Likes

So, I had to up the amount of everclear to get a good saturation.
I used 8oz (240ml) total. That changes my formula a little, but still within desired strength

(.2 * 28000 mg * 0.75)/240 ml = 17.5 mg/ml

That being said, If I do the second wash i’ll adjust the total ml in the formula and decide on reducing or not. :slight_smile: This is so awesome stuff i’m super excited :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Sorry to leave you all hanging, poker night last night. :flower_playing_cards:

@anon32470837 ,
Yes you will still lose some terpenes if you decarb the hash, but if you quick dry your buds in the oven they tend to keep that grassy hay smell/flavor because the chlorophyll hasn’t broken down like it does in cured buds. That’s part of the reason we cure our buds. If you really want to keep the terpenes (and yes they potentiate in food as well as smoking), fresh washed buds and a natural decarb tincture are the way to go. But that defeats your purpose for quick harvest to product. Dr. Ethan Russo has an interesting paper,
Taming THC: potential cannabis synergy and phytocannabinoid-terpenoid entourage effects.

@PSam,
Thank you for jumping in with the decarb data, I never went into detail as to why Im using this time/temperature. Though I have to say, I have seen your numbers floating around a lot more lately. I used to be a 220°F for 20 minutes guy (BadKittySmiles), but your data along with my own bioassay proves that 240°F for 40 min is much better.

@Jellypowered,
8oz / ounce should cover the material, but you should multiply everything though, so use 12 fluid oz. for each rinse. Otherwise the efficiency number (0.75) will be lower. I think the number is around 0.60 for a single rinse, but don’t remember exactly. You probably will still get a fine tincture (single rinse is usually lighter in color), and you can always save the material for a “depletion batch”, which I will demonstrate some time next week I hope. As far as reducing, that’s a personal preference and if you get it where one dropper is a good dose, all my recipes will come out with that potency (unless it’s noted as a double or triple batch).

5 Likes

Last question,
On the first wash, I have what appears to be “waxy” substance after it settles out. Is this the plant waxes or is this the THC falling out of suspension?

8 Likes

First guess, the husks from the trichomes.

99%

4 Likes

It’s either waxes or trichomes. Wet a filter with fresh Everclear and re-filter it.

5 Likes

Just checking, is your Everclear 180 proof?

2 Likes

Same bottle as shown in your first post. 95%/190 proof

I haven’t filtered through a coffee filter yet, doing my second wash now.

If you get any on your hands it becomes very sticky very quick lol.

4 Likes

Careful “licking the spoon” I swear I end up baked every time I make this stuff.

3 Likes

Chocolates are even more tricky.

99%

1 Like