Oaxacan x Peshawar by upstate grown by Drgreensleeves outdoor full cycle

Wow. Thanks for the link. I’ll be mulching with leaves from now on! Taking no chances!

6 Likes

@drgreensleeves looking healthy.
They definitely have a different look than either parent.

3 Likes

Since I gave them the JLF yesterday now they are a better color still on the light green side but not so pale so that tells me that they are heavy feeders it’s like “Feed me Seymour ! Feed me” lol so I’m gonna pull the leaves back and add a Bunch of compost and go from there:) I only gave them a little bit to start just to see :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Alright I added more compost and some red granite stone flour , the stone flour has 6-8% potassium and 1% lime high in iron and silica but other than buffing pH the rest of it has to be mined so I put under the surface so it stays damp and the microbes can do their work :slight_smile: now it just needs to rain or I’m going to be carrying a shit ton of buckets :slight_smile: lol

5 Likes

@upstate one of them has a red stem :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Where’d you get the stone dust?

Very nice. Could come from the " secret" ingredient

3 Likes

There’s a place about 10 miles from my house that cuts tombstone out of red granite I get it for free I just gotta load it myself :slight_smile: but it can be bought online if you don’t have a query near you basalt also works well but it doesn’t have iron so a combination of the 2 is best but not necessary:)

4 Likes

Here’s one I’m worried about, it’s a lighter green and it’s having trouble with cell elongation and I’m having trouble figuring out what to do @upstate any ideas?
IMG_20230528_231036_01
And here’s one doing great

I’m putting LITFA on it right now! And I wanted to say thank you to @reikox for making it available :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Soil might be a bit hot for that one, or maybe ph is off a little. I’d wait it out too. Probably just needs time adjusting.

2 Likes

My outdoor veggie gardening experience has me thinking the same thing. Give it time to adjust.

When I transplant tomatoes and peppers out, there’s a good 2-4 weeks of them struggling and not growing. It happens every year. I think it has to do with transplant shock along with soil temperatures. There could be local soil issues, but it’ll grow roots out to source more food.

Other than that, a shade cloth over it may help too. Sometimes the climate exceeds the rate at which plants can transpire and causes issue. Even draping a sheet over it with some structure can help a lot. I do it with fresh transplants especially this time of year when I’m flipping my spring beds for summer crop.

2 Likes

Man these things have this really cool leaf shape and it’s kinda savage! If that can make sense :slight_smile: let me try… So they only do it during direct sun exposure and the leafs do this like hooking, like it grabs the sun light ! It’s kinda ferocious looking :slight_smile: makes them look mean like if you touch them they will bite you :slight_smile: lol it’s really cool looking I’ll post a picture momentarily

5 Likes

It’s going to pull through :slight_smile:

Really cool looking how they like grab the sun :slight_smile:

16 Likes

How about some companion crops boss? :nerd_face:

2 Likes

There’s wood sorrel growing all over here and there I just pinch the tops back and drop it and I have broadcasted some alfalfa but I’m waiting on a good rain I just didn’t figure nobody wanted to… Well my bad I’ll do a garden tour shortly :slight_smile: @Rogue

5 Likes

That’d be great, thank you!
Your documentation shall be appreciated by many down the years. :+1:

2 Likes

The whole garden got sprayed at dusk with a IMO compost tea brewed for 4-5hrs and I used half hot water and half well water because well water low temps I would have to wait on the water to warm up for biological activity so if you use ambient temp water kinda like baby bottle temp when you stick your hand in the bucket you almost can’t tell it has water in it is perfect :slight_smile: I added LABs, sea 90, humic acid, fulvic acid, yucca extract, 2cups brown sugar and about 3-4 double hand fulls of compost with other IMOs these can be gathered from beneath healthy living cannabis plants and or healthy living trees old growth is best :slight_smile: just a handful of each is more than enough a little goes a long way:) compost is really a food source for the biology/ higher food chain , sugar/ lower food chain like bacteria / also a food source for higher biology PS and the plant it self :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I always love hearing about people’s gardens when they’re using local organic inputs. It’s huge for the gardener and the planet. It’s interesting once you really start to find your stride in it, you start to find waste sources that you never had any idea you should be using.

When my wife and I started composting years ago, it was kind of an interesting learning curve. In the beginning, we’d compost the stuff that seemed like compost stuff but there was still a lot getting thrown in the garbage. After upgrading our inside receptacle to a 3 quart stainless bowl, it’s improved quite a bit. We had something smaller and it just wasn’t big enough to capture all of the things that we needed to throw out.

At this point, we only take out about a garbage bag of trash per week. We still can’t get away from plastic packaging. It’s damned near impossible these days. Everything comes in plastic.

I just bought 300 bucks worth of lumber to finally build a 3 bay compost bin. I’ve been using welded wire fencing rolled into a 30" circle as a bin for a long time. It worked, but every time you’d break it down you’d slowly break the fencing.

6 Likes

Your lumber will rot very quickly.
I dunno if it’s cheaper but you can also use big inside wall bricks and stack them without cement.
Then you can reuse them down the line.

2 Likes

It’ll be alright. Most bins are made of lumber anyways. My last one was and lasted forever.

1 Like

Depends on type of wood ofcourse, some wood just doesn’t rot, that’s true.

2 Likes