Oaxacan x Peshawar by upstate grown by Drgreensleeves outdoor full cycle

Larch, cedar, redwood, mohagany and white oak Are all pretty resistant, But much of that resistance in many cases is based on the age of the tree. Young wood rots quicker than old wood. I’ve actually seen some modern cedar rot out in 5 years. It is best to look at the end of a board and get the tightest grained ( lots of growth rings)wood you can find, regardless of the species you are purchasing, But if you can get one of the above species with tight grain, that’s best

6 Likes

Good luck with that. Man, the wood I was using on the last job I did was terrible. No tight grain at all. That wood won’l last long no matter what you do to it.

2 Likes

The one that was struggling I figured out why it had a bug eating on the stalk right at ground level smh well when I spotted it I squished it and when I grabbed it I just touched the plant and it broke! Clean like it was eat in two so I pinched the bottom first leaves and shoved it in the ground about a inch or 2 and bedded it in and watered it and I also put a humidity dome (gallon milk jug with bottom cut out) Over it so hopefully it roots , hopefully:) it should

5 Likes

@JoeCrowe I was wondering if you could help me locate a certain microbe? I currently do not have a scope and seeing as how you are the only person I know right now with a scope :slight_smile: anyways I’m looking for "testate amoeba " and I have a possible location but it’s super hard to find due to the fact that all /most of the alfalfa farmers use pesticides so I haven’t been able to buy it so I had to grow some, can I send you some samples? And you scope them for me/us/the community the information gathered by us will be invaluable/priceless please and thank you

3 Likes

I can do it if you want. Those amoeba tests are like 50 microns in size! I can probably find a few in the alfalfa gunk I fermented the other day.

3 Likes

Cool so I’m right then? I can find them on alfalfa and grow them by putting it in a bucket with water and let the alfalfa stick out of the water and if I’m not mistaken they should accumulate on the water surface, I think :slight_smile: lol that’s the uncertainty I’m trying to riddle out thank you @JoeCrowe

3 Likes

Ehhh good luck trying to find 'em though. I got some images, but it’s hard to tell what things are, unless it’s fungus.

This image has some fungal hyphae and some dark small things that are 10 microns wide.

4 Likes

Yes but I’m going to see if I can get them to come out there shell for us :slight_smile: they can get rather large :slight_smile: PS and veracious that’s why their ability to nutrient cycle in amazingly fantastical :slight_smile: oh and @JoeCrowe they tend to gather on the surface layers like surface of a pond and the surface at the bottom of the pond and not in the in-between spaces hopefully that will help

2 Likes

you could try asking @LD50 he’s been taking some stellar close up trichome shots, better than anything I’ve seen

there are also tons of folks on youtube who like looking at compost tea with their fancy shamncy scopes, you could try reaching out to one of them as well :+1:

3 Likes

^ these are a patch of autos with sorghum grass , plantain and wood sorrel ^

Green beans, sorghum grass and canna lilies :slight_smile:

I thought I took more photos :slight_smile: smh lol well I will post some more I also have merigolds growing all over they allow my mycorrhizal fungi to overwinter and also ties every plant growing in my garden to the old growth hickory forrest :slight_smile: oh and I have st. John’s wort , mullin , yarrow, prickly lettuce, sassafras, purple cone flower, yellow dock, elder berry, goose berry alfalfa, bee balm , and many many more my pot and vegetable garden communicate/talk with/share nutrients with/exchange microbes with the old growth forest :slight_smile: that one of the reasons I won’t do “raised beds”

13 Likes

@Upstate I was going to ask if you thought I should top them? Then I remembered all the people and many threads I have seen Oaxaca and her crosses and all of them are topped :slight_smile: so for the records keeper I’m not going to top them we will see their natural form :slight_smile: PS unless you object :slight_smile: lol

5 Likes

Some of those stay pretty tame on their own. I topped one because it was growing faster than the others and once I did, it never did stretch again.

3 Likes

I topped that beautiful old silversides s1 I had last summer, but did it late. Some of them have a very nice structure. Others look like a pussy willow.
It’s really hard to judge. Which ones are going to be the big ones? And which ones are going to be the small ones. Like @GMan said, You top one that is growing fast and then it stops. Soon I will have the two different types separated.

4 Likes

I guess what I’m asking is if I didn’t topp them would they yeild less ? Like a hybrid ya know? Reason I ask is they are in the ground full cycle outdoor so I’m really not sure, I topp plants to get multiple tops put sativa’s do that anyways right? So yeild wise and can topping a true sativa cause it to grow slightly tighter node spacing? @upstate thanks

2 Likes

I haven’t noticed tighter nodes from topping. I only do it because of height concerns. If you have no height concerns let them go natural.

This one was planted at 6 inches tall in a solo cup in early August. Picture is early November. 11 feet tall.

9 Likes

The draught we are in hasn’t seemed to phase them none at all pretty cool I topped the big one and only because it was stay very Atypical but there are 2 females that are starting the alternating thing / self topping so I’ll leave them be and I got another female that is smaller in stature

^ the big one I topped oh and btw I topped it at like 4 - almost 5 feet tall :slight_smile:

These are the self topping ones it’s a male in the middle so far it’s about 50/50 on the male female ratio but I still have 2 unsexed due to bugs but they are still trucking along :slight_smile:

I don’t know which one I like best yet the short one is just as branchy if not more branchy than the big one :slight_smile:
@Upstate , what Cha think ?

15 Likes

Those plants looks very healthy :green_heart: great job

3 Likes

That’s the power of mulching!

Edit: You could dig some small swales or bunds near them to increase rainwater penetrating into the soil, raising the water table.

6 Likes

Man I’m in love ! @upstate these things are amazing! I got 4/4 m/female and they self top between 5-9 nodes and the big female had a Christmas tree structure I topped her at 5-5.5 feet something like that and I don’t think it even slowed her down awesome and the males are pretty killer too :slight_smile: I got a stockier one with tight node spacing that’s super gassy stem rub almost takes my breathe away ! Smh friggin awesome lol

16 Likes

Oh and I’ll leave this here it’s about 12 feet away from these and about 8 feet away from my Syrian x b,b Lebanese

I seen some green lace wings too but they were camera shy :slight_smile:

12 Likes