Octopot Grow System

I think I’d maybe want some large air stones in the tote. Maybe some large submersible aquarium heaters too.
So once you fill the reservoir, your just let it go until it runs out before refilling? I think I’d want to keep it full because no matter the size of tree, its not drinking 100s of gallons in a reasonable amount of time. But I have no idea. I’ve never even done deep water culture yet.

1 Like

I don’t know about something that big. But Octopots don’t use air stones. Why they don’t is explained on their website.

2 Likes

what your saying here isnt a octopot, or anything near it. Your just making a DWC system at that point.

this can be a issue, due to the fact you can get something wrong with the water in the tub and you wouldnt know because you dont replace the water/you have it burried

sounds like what you are asking is DWC and that should be asked in the hydroponics thread, we cant assist you here in this thread…

They worked pretty well, 3 of them fit nicely in a row in my 3x2 tent.

I’ll be trying out some 5 gal bucket conversions next.

3 Likes

Better view:

4 Likes

A Simple AutoFill System for Octopots

Greetings OctoPoddlers,

I just cobbled together an Octopot auto fill system that seems to work perfectly and cost under $20 total.

In the picture below, the little red container is pretending to be an Octopot. The white bin is the Controller and the grey tub on the left is a ten gallon reservoir.

When the Reservoir is full, and the two blue-handle valves below it are open, the Controller bin will fill until the floater check-valve rises up and shuts off the flow.

The water level is adjusted by the float valve and currently set for the height of water in a “Full” 1 gallon micro octopot container (about 3.5"). The magic trick here is that if the Controller is set on the same level (floor/table/rack, etc.) as the Octopot, this setup will maintain the same water level in the Control Unit and as many Octopots as are connected to it.

As the plant drinks and draws down the red octopot, water from the Controller will refill it. Once the water level in the Controller itself drops, the float valve will open and the reservoir will flow until everything below is back up to full up again. As long as the Reservoir has water, all the attached octopots will stay full.

The tubing and fittings all snap together easily. You only need to drill a 5/8" hole to install the float valve and bulkhead fittings and you’re done.

Please let me know if I’ve completely missed something obvious, but I think I’m going to convert my entire six-octopup system to autofill as soon as this grow is done. Cool thing: If you decide not to use the Autofill for a grow, just turn off the two valves and disconnect the tubes.

Simple, cheap and nerdly fun to play with.

Any questions, comments welcome. Or if you’d like a component list let me know. The AmaZone has everything needed.

Cheers,
-Grouchy
PS, Hat Tip to @Nagel420 for his plumbing tips!

15 Likes

Fantastic! Thanks for posting that. Next time I have some time off work, I might rig one of those up.

5 Likes

I love that the float is separated from the root zones. That will save you a LOT of potential headaches. Well thought out, like a bucket system but with micro octos.

Well done man…

5 Likes

Here is my first try with an octopot . The ceilings are 8 ft and already suppercropped 7 branches Frankenstein x ppp

12 Likes

Welcome to the crazy world of Octopots the one thing they do is get big and beastie
You’ll love the ease of them
Your plant looks great by the way
Super cropping , list , mainline or scrog is the best bet to control hight

Paps

7 Likes

Finally got a pic with lights on. Life is a little crazy right now.

Grand Daddy Purp tied down and spread out.

Bubba Kush. This plant is the biggest in the tent. Even tied down, she just doesn’t want to stay small.

21 days from flip. Other than the one Bubba Kush, this is the best canopy management I have accomplished yet. The Octo’s are saving my ass. Only having to fill the rez every week has been huge right now!!

11 Likes

Great job bro
They look amazing

I normally do mainline style now RH was a big problem ! I fined that the yield is about the same but the les vegetation is a plus for air circulation

Paps

3 Likes

Looking excellent full use of your tent .

3 Likes

Oh! That is f*cling clever! The control tank with the float valve is a genius way to have the gravity feed the system!
Really nice work!!! :heart_eyes:

Do you have a link to the type of float valve you used? I am really interested in this one!

5 Likes

This is nice I will pick yours and @Nagel420 brains on how to make one for my large Octopots

Also nagel420 the nj chapter of OG is long over due for a sesh session

I definitely need to make one of those

Paps

3 Likes

I hesitate to post a string of AmaZonian links, but here are the names of the major pieces of the system. Use whatever Tubs & Controller tanks & Rez you have around, but here’s search terms for the essential plumbing.

Water Filter Float Ball Valve 1/4 Inch Adjustable Float Valve Plastic Water Tank Float Valves for Ponds, Water Pump, Water Trough, Aquariums, Aquaculture, Water Tank, Reservoir (4)

Water Filter Float Ball Valve 1/4 Inch Adjustable Float Valve Plastic Water Tank Float [Visit the Mudder Store]

ZAOJIAO Tube Bulkhead Connector Push Fit Quick Connect for RO Water

Malida 1/4 inch O.D. Length 32.8ft(10 meters) RO Water Tubing, Hose Pipe for RO Water purifiers System,+ 1/4 O.D quick connector 10pcsf

Malida 1/4 inch Plug for RO Reverse Osmosis Water Filter Fittings Valve (10 pack)

That’s most of the stuff anyways.

-Grouchy
PS, you can mostly ignore the specific brands (Malida, etc.) The fittings all seem to be built to the same specs.

9 Likes

o-christmas tree, o-christmas tree!

2 Likes

Upon making more octo-mesh thingies

34 inches of mesh length, 18 inches in height make it fit perfectly in the rez

oh and make sure the wire of the mesh, the outside goes vertical wire, not horizontal wire, otherwise youll never get it out of the rez, itll latch on and never let go.

Putting the netpot in is a pain in the ass, but after a little man handling, it’ll go where you need it.

ALSO!!!
I would recommend the 2x1 mesh vs the 1x1 i got here, its a pain in the ass to work with when this dense.

7 Likes

VERY slick!! I like that setup. everything makes sense. I’ve 4 of these things, I could convert one to be the control and have the other 3 fed from outside the tent.

they would work wonderful for photos. oh boy, here i go tinkering again. lol

love the thread. thanks @GrouchyOldMan !

1 Like

guess they have a new sleeve design

2 Likes