Octopot Grow System

I don’t use the auto feed, I feed though a 3/4 tubing with siphon and gravity.

5 Likes

You mean to tell me I can fold the bag in half and still be fine?

If that’s the case, I can save some height in my tent

5 Likes

Spoke to Chris himself. Minimum bag height 10-12 inches.

3 Likes

Sick, I’m going to give it a try.

3 Likes

I use the 13 gal bags they had once! Got lucky and got all 6 octopot’s for 200. It the ones they used for their videos. As it goes for rez size. It holds more than a 5 Gal bucket. I’d say maybe two 5 gals. But I’m always watering other things 🤷

6 Likes

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I’m going to go for it, maybe wait for the next sale?

That is especially useful @SaintAliasKnife! My current 3gal pots on the micro octopots are only 9" tall but they are working great on those smaller pots.

-Grouchy :v: :green_heart:

5 Likes

You guys are gonna make me drag out my octo pot and stick a plant in it .

8 Likes

For anyone interested; I’ve never actually purchased an Octopot, but I really love the concept. So being the stoner-engineer that I am, I’ve made a few versions of my own that have worked quite nicely.

This was my latest version, small and compact intended for perpetual SoG grows. Holds a gallon of growing medium in the bag and a gallon of nutrients in the pale:

I’ve got a few more experimental versions, if anyone’s as interested in DIY as I am…

13 Likes

Cool dyi :+1::+1::+1::+1:

1 Like

I’ve done 3 different DIY’s that attempt to make a octopot, but nothing can compare, you can get close but that’s it. Can’t wait to see how it turns out for yea!

4 Likes

Agree totally :100: %

1 Like

What would happen if you made a giant outdoor version with a ibc tote burried in the ground and steal supports over it to hold the 400ish gallon fabric pot?

Its to late this year, but if its possible, I do have a big hole out there. I already need to fill it in one way or the other.

3 Likes

I think I’d maybe want some large air stones in the tote. Maybe some large submersible aquarium heaters too.
So once you fill the reservoir, your just let it go until it runs out before refilling? I think I’d want to keep it full because no matter the size of tree, its not drinking 100s of gallons in a reasonable amount of time. But I have no idea. I’ve never even done deep water culture yet.

1 Like

I don’t know about something that big. But Octopots don’t use air stones. Why they don’t is explained on their website.

2 Likes

what your saying here isnt a octopot, or anything near it. Your just making a DWC system at that point.

this can be a issue, due to the fact you can get something wrong with the water in the tub and you wouldnt know because you dont replace the water/you have it burried

sounds like what you are asking is DWC and that should be asked in the hydroponics thread, we cant assist you here in this thread…

They worked pretty well, 3 of them fit nicely in a row in my 3x2 tent.

I’ll be trying out some 5 gal bucket conversions next.

3 Likes

Better view:

4 Likes

A Simple AutoFill System for Octopots

Greetings OctoPoddlers,

I just cobbled together an Octopot auto fill system that seems to work perfectly and cost under $20 total.

In the picture below, the little red container is pretending to be an Octopot. The white bin is the Controller and the grey tub on the left is a ten gallon reservoir.

When the Reservoir is full, and the two blue-handle valves below it are open, the Controller bin will fill until the floater check-valve rises up and shuts off the flow.

The water level is adjusted by the float valve and currently set for the height of water in a “Full” 1 gallon micro octopot container (about 3.5"). The magic trick here is that if the Controller is set on the same level (floor/table/rack, etc.) as the Octopot, this setup will maintain the same water level in the Control Unit and as many Octopots as are connected to it.

As the plant drinks and draws down the red octopot, water from the Controller will refill it. Once the water level in the Controller itself drops, the float valve will open and the reservoir will flow until everything below is back up to full up again. As long as the Reservoir has water, all the attached octopots will stay full.

The tubing and fittings all snap together easily. You only need to drill a 5/8" hole to install the float valve and bulkhead fittings and you’re done.

Please let me know if I’ve completely missed something obvious, but I think I’m going to convert my entire six-octopup system to autofill as soon as this grow is done. Cool thing: If you decide not to use the Autofill for a grow, just turn off the two valves and disconnect the tubes.

Simple, cheap and nerdly fun to play with.

Any questions, comments welcome. Or if you’d like a component list let me know. The AmaZone has everything needed.

Cheers,
-Grouchy
PS, Hat Tip to @Nagel420 for his plumbing tips!

15 Likes

Fantastic! Thanks for posting that. Next time I have some time off work, I might rig one of those up.

5 Likes

I love that the float is separated from the root zones. That will save you a LOT of potential headaches. Well thought out, like a bucket system but with micro octos.

Well done man…

5 Likes