Octopot Grow System

you can read that?

Ha! Actually, I got most of that info from reading jetdros posts before I found this posted. So, I had an idea what it said before I even saw it. I ended up typing into an Excel spreadsheet and printing it out so I could actually read it.

3 Likes

I need to use cal mag from time to time or Epson salts
Helps also

I no longer use the ttf or ufvf
I use jacks 20/20/20 and 15.5/0/0 in veg

The schedule needed a little tweak here or there

But for the most part itā€™s spot on

4 Likes

Thanks for the reply @Papalag . I have TVF, so Iā€™ll use it until it runs out. And Iā€™ll play around with adding calmag or epsom.
Doing my first grow with Octopots, and the plants got out of control. I ran out of space in the tent in every direction. Mid flower now and thatā€™s why I was wondering about the Cal Mag. Up until this point in the grow, the TVF had it covered.

3 Likes

I also use a earth juice product for micro nutrients

These Octopots are amazing I bit of a learning curve

And are so easy to use

The biggest thing is learning how to leave the plant alone
Paps

6 Likes

I use Jackā€™s in my Octopots. Every time I mix a bucket of nutes to fill the rez, I add Jackā€™s, CalMag (most recently Cal + Mag + Iron), and pHdown. I might add some silica from time to time too.

3 Likes

AHAHAAHHA, HAHAHAHA, HAHAHAA, Welcome to the club of trying to tame the beast!

ScROG dem!

6 Likes

4 pack on special. Iā€™m temptedā€¦

8 Likes

Bro youā€™ll never regret it take the plunge

6 Likes

hell of a steal DO IT!!!

Get the grid, or the strapped bags.

1 Like

Canna rhizotonic in veg would work well in octos , especial useing that type of feeding : )

Whoā€™s feeding shedule is that ? @middleman

4 Likes

I first came across the idea for it in a post by jetdro (donā€™t know if it was his idea).
Iā€™ve also seen it posted a couple of other places. I think the picture I posted was from @grohio (???).

2 Likes

you having success using it ? Like @Papalag said there are a few tweeks that could be made : )

The two main things that relate to how much calmag you need are your tap ( everyoneā€™s is different ) and if solely led and of course how much is in base feed

2 Likes

Im rocking Jacks TAP line, which has calmag added

Enough for veg, needed added epsom later in flower

i also bought some part b if i need more cal nit

1 Like

Seems successful so far. Plants donā€™t seem to be asking for anything. But then again, Iā€™m not all that experienced. Iā€™m on filtered well water. Not sure whatā€™s in it, but for some reason, the pH shot way up recently (from about 6.8 to now at 7.8 - but thatā€™s another story).
Iā€™m trying to keep the octopot grows as simple as possible. I donā€™t mind adding cal mag, or even some micros once in awhile (and of course pH down), but I donā€™t want to have to pull out the PPM meter and make adjustments every time.

Thatā€™s why I really like the idea of that nute chart I posted. Itā€™s so easy, and I only have to add to the reservoir about once a week.

2 Likes

you shouldnt need ph down AT all if your feeding your plants each watering.

My tap water reads 9.1-9.3 and after adding my nutes my ph roles around 5.8-6.0, i usually add a couple grams of Potassium carbonate and that brings my PH up to 6.2-6.4.

Do Jackā€™s 321,

To mix up the perfect blend of Jackā€™s 321 you will need:

ā€‹

3.6 grams Part A

2.4 grams Part B

1.1 grams of Epsom salts

ā€‹

This will give you a blend of nutrients for growing almost any controlled environment crop, in any growing system. The order of additions is VERY important. You must add the 5-12-26 first and make sure it is completely dissolved, then add in the Epsom salts making sure it is completely dissolved, then finally the calcium nitrate.

you can run this though your whole grow from start to finish.

simple and no ppm required.

(I have yet to check my PPM or Ph inside the res of the octopot, because its being filled every 6-7 days.
The roots are nice and white in the res, so its working well.)

4 Likes

Actually, youā€™re right; I was thinking about the plants I have in soil that I almost killed because the pH is so high. Was seeing all kinds of different indications of deficiencies and didnā€™t think to check pH because I thought is was fine at 6.8. When nothing I added was fixing the problem it finally dawned on me that I probably had lockout. Sure enough, thatā€™s when I discovered the high pH.
Anyway, using the 10-30-20 in the Octopots, it really brings the pH down. Iā€™ve gone as low as 5.9 without any adverse reaction in the plants.

3 Likes

so during veg i like to ride around 6.1-6.2 ph but in later flower i tend to aim more toward 6.5-6.6 ph.

2 Likes

Measuring in grams in not my idea of simple. Ha!
I know it isnā€™t that difficult, I just donā€™t want to do it. Iā€™d rather measure by volume with a measuring spoon.

2 Likes

I didnā€™t know the tap line had calmag in it. I got it because I read someplace that it lowers ph over time(which I dont see it doing), and I assumed it had less stuff in it because of the stuff we already in the tap. The jacks transition has not gone well for me. So, you dont even add epsom most of the time? So its just that one part during veg for you? Iā€™m just trying to confirm before i pull my hair out. lol. Iā€™ve been doing 5grams of tap, and 1 gram of epsom per gallon. Sometimes it seems like I have excesses and deficiencies at the same time. I have no idea what Iā€™m doing with this stuff. I dont even know what epsom is, or why Iā€™m adding it. It makes me feel dumb :slight_smile:
I got the outdoor version too, and that went just as bad. Checked ppms last week and found Iā€™ve been feeding half strength all summer. I try to grow trees, so that has me sad. I think that bag got damp, cause the stuff started to turn into a big chunk, and now it doesnā€™t dilute well.
My tap is 8.5 ph, and when I add jacks tap, and epsom, the ph is still around 8. So I wonder why yours drops so much more. I use the orange ph down, but it climbs again quite fast.

1 Like