Oni's 2nd grow. Continued

Progress updates will be added as privileges get earned back. I’ve taken nearly daily pics the whole time, but just less of them. Been using Instagram as a way to get my other half to look at the progress when she’s not at my place. Plenty of updates to summarize, but the gist of it is indigo was male, Diana has been harvested, clover was sowed in all pots with soil to maintain microbiology, Zelda and GSC have been in training, I’ve started a new plant and the lucky seed was Zelda’s little sister from the same pack, corncobs were added back in to fill in dark spots after the curtain was removed, I initially waterlogged the soil for all the pots to rehydrate the hydrophobic soil and with daily watering before allowing it to dry again, and all plants receiving nutrients have been receiving 5g grow big and 4g mega crop. I have no idea why that specific ratio works, but I’ve had them on it since the day I left here before and Zelda looks a little strange, but I’ve also noted she appears more of a sativa phenotype now that she’s in full sex expression at every node. GSC is showing a strong indica phenotype expression as I had expected. I have a soil that’s a mix of Diana’s soil immediately after harvest with the garlic, cilantro, and clover tilled in along with indigo and the leaves I pruned off Zelda. I combined that with the soil I mixed up in the same ratio as GSC soil mixed 50:50 with the ffof and happy frog mix I had leftover. It filled the pot properly and the soil felt a little heavier than I’d like, so I added some clover to the mix. It dried very quickly though and I had to water with about a 5 cups to bring it back to full moisture. It dries within a day on its own for some reason now.

Ah yes. After I initially waterlogged the soil they drank it up the night of. I’ve noted they seem to want 2 waterings a day not the amount to fill the pot all at once in 1 watering. 2 gallons of water a day between all plants. I’ll make note that I stopped using distilled water for the most part and all I do is pour boiling water into the cold tap water to dechlorinate it at least a little and then mix my nutrients up after weighing them. IDK why the plants love the ratios I’m adding, but Zelda looks strange to me. Very straight sativa looking and I’m pretty sure the genetics aren’t sativa, so once the clover is settled in and I get a watering practice down Zelda likes I’ll have to see what she is supposed to really look like. I assume rose colored glasses as I’m sure she’s supposed to be a indica dominant genotype. I probably nitrogen burned her. She’s not really burning tips or showing any spots anymore, so the claws are my only giveaway that she’s the only one who wants a lower ratio. Though this amount finally got her to darken up her leaves too. It could also be the new arrangement of the zmean lights while they’re still on the floor. I’ve noticed they fill in gaps of lights, but the seedling was reaching to them over the qb for some reason even though the QB is at 40" from the floor RN and around 18" from Zelda’s canopy. She keeps overgrowing now that I’ve filled in gaps and rearranged the lights. Also once the soil was cooked they all started to just grow fast and healthy regardless of what I do. I had transplanted the seedling at 3 days old as it had already started getting root bound and reached the walls. It’s around a week old now and rooted fully in the new pot I sowed in clover in the 3" pot as I noticed that since the original 3 I accidentally got in her pot helped her out so much I’d maintain the roots in the same way. She’s developing at a pace faster than indigo too, but with much fatter leaves. The UV light from the zmean lights are making all plants develop anthocyanins and are getting a dark blue tint after a time like a suntan once they grow into the lights.

GSC as you can see is becoming a bushy plant and wait till you see the stem on her. I have to train out her stems, but damn she’s even more curvy than Diana was and she isn’t stopping veg any time soon.

Daisey is starting to bulk up now. She never drooped once during the entire process while I was away.

Zelda

GSC

Daisey

Seedling

Hygrometersphotos

Auto

Overhead

10 Likes

Now for some of the before pics.

Zelda
February 7th

February 10th

February 13th

GCS/Indigo
February 7th

February 10th

February 13th

Daisey
February 13th

Seedling
February 7th

February 10th

February 13th

Group Shots
February 7th

February 10th

Every day has had new growth now. I’ll have to prepare that soil for the 7 gallon pot and when that time comes I’ll get more soil for the 15 gallon pots as by that time I’ll be looking to flower the seedling here. I’ll have enough yield with the rest that any wacky shapes I get them into will be good by that point. Growth is fast enough that I’ll probably end up getting plants too big for the pots before I transplant up, but as long as they keep growing up I won’t be able to stop them anyway. I’ll just enjoy the shaping I’m doing now. When I transplant GSC to a 7 gallon pot and Zelda to a 15 gallon pot I’ll have the seedling in whatever stage they’ll be in at the time I get the lucky 7s in 12/12. Until that point I’ll be having fun training, but I’ll keep the time table in mind to transplant.

How long should I let them adjust to the soil after transplant? So far I’ve seen a near day of adjustment, but they really liked the new soil and I seem to be really gentle on the roots being extra careful never to tear any if at all possible. Of course the bottom ones will tear off and side ones too, but it is what it is. My buddy is very interested in helping me out again now that my growth has picked up to this point so fast. I’m going to see if he’ll get me a hlg 65 kit or if in the same price range a better kit to fill out the remaining amount of light I’ll need to properly fill out any paperwork in light and cover the tent in the proper amount of photons for all of them to be Happy. Soil should be way easier to get now though that I can tell them specifically what to buy :grin: even if I can’t get the extra lights the lights I have now at least fill the space between them and once I hang the zmean lights up and get a rail for the lights everything will be much cleaner and less chaotic and cluttered.

5 Likes

I found my answer finally for the qb120 or at least the v1 that had a lower ppfd rating of memory serves me. Explained to me why the zmean had the seedlings attention. At 12" it’s 723 ppfd. Qb120*12 is 671 ppfd at 20". I just read it once so far, so it’s not committed to memory yet.

Now the update.
I measured the lights distance again to see how close everyone was and the seedling was at 24" from the lights and the Zelda was close to 12" from the canopy. Daisey actually was at 16" from the canopy, so I lowered her light to 12" exactly.

All of them are very thirsty girls too. I want to water, but it’s too close to lights out, so I’m better off waiting I’m sure.

I’ll have to calculate the DLI I’m providing to the plants to see a accurate measure of what they’re getting once I have the zmean lights up. Either way the plan for the tent as it is now is to get at least 4 more qb120. The arrangement will be with 1 QB in the center, with 1 QB at each corner, and all 4 zmeans between the space between them in a cross shape. The 4 other qb120 will be at each end where the zmean. The plan past that is adding in either 4 more qb120 on all 4 corners or a cob on each corner helping to fill in gaps. I’d have to work on ventilation for real though and at that point I’d want to at least use a heatsink even if just a thin one to help dissipate the extra heat produced.

Humidity and temperature are matching across the tent, so the hygrometer was reset and moved into the bag I have Diana drying in. Seems to be around 27% humidity ATM, so it is what it is. I can smell rotting Hay smell, so I’d say I’m doing something right as it’s not drying so fast it stopped breaking down chlorophyll.
Now after that long update let’s see some pics.

Zelda

GSC

Daisey

Seedling

Overhead Shots

Hygrometer

3 Likes

Here’s the lights on pics. Per usual something about that tent makes me feel like I do when I go out to get a tan :joy: I get a little high or more specifically I get a sense of euphoria and racing thoughts, so I’ll keep it about the plants and any plans can be discussed on a sober mind. Short and sweet is I’m looking into light builds that spread out the light over the tent cutting put hotspots mostly if possible, but the best growth will be in between the 5 points most likely with too much par at those 5 points without co2.

Now on with the plants.
I trained GSC again. Her stem is getting stiff now. I’ll have to get some proper training ties and weights as I’ve found I enjoy shaping my plants in different shapes.
Zelda is resuming growth on the tops in front I topped on the 7th. Until now she’s been making her main stem thicker, all branches are growing faster than I can train them down, and she was definitely too close to the lights. Once they were raised the leaves look much healthier.
The seedling is leaning to the zmeans again with the QB higher up or it’s top heavy now as the QBs are 36" from the seedling canopy :sweat_smile:
Daisey is eating her leaves even with nitrogen in her nutrients, so she’s getting straight water unless someone can explain to me what I should feed her.

Fan speed was lowered to the high end of low speed on the controller just below the lowest medium speed and intake holes were made smaller. Negative pressure is still present, but humidity is more stable and as long as the soil isn’t dry the humidity at night is usually higher than the 20-30s

Zelda

GSC

Daisey

Seedling

Hygrometer

Either way I’m mixing up the water now. Just have to boil some to dechlorinate and warm it up first as they will be very thirsty soon

1 Like

Hello oni :slightly_smiling_face: I don’t know a great deal about using LEDS or anything but high pressure metal lights really so I will be watching this and looking forward to seeing what you do :slightly_smiling_face:
Hope you’re having a high and happy day :+1:

2 Likes

The plants are growing nicely oni!!

1 Like

Hey Oni,

Zelda and GSC look like they’re gonna bush out bigtime.

Lookin good sofar!

1 Like

Yeah they look really nice. By the time Midna is through veg and ready for flower daisey should be harvested. Especially at the pace Midna is growing too. Those are some fat large leaves. Enough to get top heavy. I’m making a knob like growth at the base it seems as I had originally heavy handed her. Straight up flattened her on day 2 flush with the soil. She just bounced back like it didn’t happen. I can’t wait to get these girls into flower already.

A nice start to my afternoon. I found a roach from last harvest with a lot of the hash in it. I rolled it as is in a new paper with another tiny one I found also while cleaning my couch. It was a half a 1¼ paper in length after they combined. Feeling good :smiley: there is just something special about flower that oil just can’t replicate yet. Even live resin has something missing I can’t place. This is a strong sativa effect with the burning nostrils and tingly nose. Actually hybrid sativa leaning as the forehead tingle came in and made me notice the feeling on my scalp giving away the indica effects that are more mild by comparison :sweat_smile: not bad. Now I want this grow to finish up soon. No one in my area has good quality flower. Dispensaries and plugs around the area are all mids at best feeling now and while mids are nice the high/stone is short-lived vs higher quality smoke that lasts for a few hours before you even think about smoking again and it’s usually a corner of a bowl vs the mids bowl or 2 to get the same level, but you go back to smoke the mids soon after peak hits usually.

I’m happy with my bud that gives a edible a run for it’s money. Friends, family, and my other half all helped my last harvest dry up really fast with my usage added in.

I’ve almost managed to kick tobacco and the constant craving to smoke something has finally started to reduce. Should make it much easier with the high not burned out by nicotine withdrawal. My vaping days came back to haunt me as I would use a low to no nicotine vape almost always all day. I’m going back to it, but my reason for vaping and smoking don’t make sense to people since I’m a asthmatic. I smoke/vape to get the lung expansion. I don’t have the ability to breathe deeply anymore and the lung expansion brings that back for a time and I feel less asphyxiated for that moment. Makes sense to me though as a vape isn’t much different from a nebulizer.

1 Like

@OniTenshu Are those Auto that you’re bending over

1 Like

Now today’s midday update.

Humidity is dropping like a stone again. Nothing I can do about it as far as I know. Matching the house humidity usually means that the plants want water, but it’s only been 12 hours since they got water initially and in 5 hours it’ll be the last time they got water. They all seem to drink heavily, but the soil isn’t wanting that much water, so it’s a battle. I believe that means they’re getting too big for the pot or the clover is getting greedy.

As far as change it’s just gradual rn as I’m pretty sure both GSC and Zelda have reached the bottom.
Midna is getting some size to her and that shows a lot of promise for her future growth patterns :heart_eyes:

Zelda

GSC

Daisey

Midna

Group

2 Likes

No the GSC is bagseed, Zelda is a Platinum Glue auto x Blue Zkittlez photo F1 from @ModicumGenes, and also Midna is Zelda’s little sister.

Only Daisey there is a Auto from the autofem mix @ReikoX sent me. After this harvest I’ll be doing a Crystal Candy auto run on 24hr cycle.

2 Likes

Okay heck yeah I was just wondering cuz I do that with mine too but I haven’t seen anybody doing it with any autos yet

1 Like

That when you turn your lights to 12/12 and it goes into it super veg right before flowering try untying it I don’t know if you’ve tried that yet it boosted my Heights by like 6 in to a foot

1 Like

I did the same training as you mentioned on my first plant in the grow. Unfortunately I had a lot of issues leading up to this point and she got stunted badly and will only give around 2g dry weight if not 1g.

Here’s her last pics as she’s drying whole plant roots and all in a bag ATM. Almost finished drying. Chlorophyll is breaking down as the Hay smell is strong. Otherwise she’s a mix of skunk, chocolate, citrus, pine, and caryophyllene.

3 Likes

Yeah I have a hard time keeping my leaves out of the dirt. And it takes practice try putting Christmas bulbs on the top 2-3 leave segments down but bend it as you put them on you can add more or less as needed helps gets it use to stress and it looks like it has light burns if you dont use co2 you might need to raise your lights

2 Likes

Yeah she keeps growing too close to the lights like a jerk😅 she also really wants to enter flower very soon as she’s basically making buds at this point it looks like. I’m very interested in whatever is happening here. Even if Blue Zkittlez has a naturally auto flowering landrace sativa in their genetics I doubt that would make a f1 auto of any type😅 maybe I’m wrong if I am this will be interesting to see

1 Like

I’m not using co2 intentionally if the levels are higher than normal. I raised the lights. I admit I didn’t measure the distance.

I took pics before lights out. Zelda is drooping again near the end of lights on telling me she really wants to flower soon, so it’s good I’m using a short time table for the grow with MOTR. I’ll work on training her more as she keeps growing. It does appear that my plants are hardened to an arid environment😅 well then. Let’s see how that effects the growth once humidity increases soon.
Zelda

GSC

Daisey

Midna

Group Shots

1 Like

Now that I’m up and awake and the plants have perked up a bit I sprayed the soil surface as I had gone in the tent to find out it was very hot and dry in there. The low humidity and high temperature on the hygrometer is what I saw going in this morning. I had sprayed the surface of the soil at 1am and went to bed. At 6am I had sprayed again and watered with 32oz water per 3 gallon pot and the same for Zelda in the 7 gallon as she’s not too thirsty lately, but her soil is drying out faster than she drinks, so I’m fine tuning her watering schedule.

So far I’ve seen that watering 2x a day works best for me and sometimes 3x a day. I feel the pots to check for water level and watch the plants response to find if they need more or less next watering, but either way they drink it all up unless I go overboard and drench them in about 6-8 hours depending on the day.

I had opened the window and put the exhaust fan on high to vent out all the excess heat. The humidity is managing to regulate on its own finally with little effect from my humidifier unless I get lazy in watering and forget to keep it yo that day.

I turned my heat off too as the heat vented out into the house is now heating much better and more springtime feeling in the house. No still air anywhere and it’s very comfortable.

Now for pics. It’s show and tell not tell and go.

Zelda

GSC

Daisey

Midna

Hygrometer coming in after closing windows

Hygrometer after finishing taking pics

2 Likes

Diana has been trimmed and is curing now. 1 good top nice and dense and the rest are larfy. Such a tiny root😅

2 Likes