Oni's 2nd grow. Continued

I don’t water with any runoff if I can help it. They’re on hardwood floors under the tent with nothing to catch the water that would runnoff. Daisey already ruined the rest of the floors in the apartment. These are the last good floorboards left.

1 Like

So far so good. I’ll give them a extra day to drink up what’s in the soil. I should get a baseline for what they look like when thirsty better than a guess :sweat_smile:

Zelda

Tulip

Basil

2 Likes

I thought that was what tray was for on the bottom of tents? That’s what I thought anyways lol
I water till theres a bit run off so salts don’t build up n stuff. Then just suck the water out the tray with this little syphon thing I bought off ebay.

3 Likes

I thought that too. Then I watered the very first time and found out the bottom tray isn’t even remotely waterproof. It’s as sealed as a thin blanket :joy:

1 Like

It was watering day today. I gave them time to finish up the topsoil moisture and I added 32oz per pot for now. Depending on how they react I may increase the amount per watering. Just plain water with a insect frass topdress to add some chitin and phosphorus for them to use now that the nitrogen is getting low finally and almost back to a good baseline. New growth is already sulfur deficiency looking, so she’s getting back to what I’d expect after not adding any nutrients in the water this long.

Zelda

Tulip

1 Like

I’m leaving for the day, so I went in and checked on the plants. Zelda is looking very happy with her watering. Tulip is liking it too as I see both at a happy angle. The Basil I pinched is taking more time to recover than the one I topped. I prefer the growth pattern on the topped one even if it’s leaves are serrated and pointed now.

Zelda

Tulip

Group

Basil

1 Like

Things are looking good today. Tulip is taller than Zelda’s lowers now and she’s finally focusing on calyx development. At the rate she’s growing I’ll have no excuse not to train her down to maintain a even canopy with Zelda’s tops at highest.

Speaking of Zelda she’s no longer growing taller to my knowledge. She’s drinking at the same rate as always, but just not growing any taller anymore, so she’s definitely reached the bottom and if she wasn’t in a fabric pot she’d be severely root bound.

Zelda

Tulip

3 Likes

Some thirsty girls today. I just watered yesterday :sweat_smile:

Zelda

Tulip

Post watering

Zelda

Tulip

1 Like

Last pics until tomorrow. I opened the peephole to check on them and Zelda looks much better now.

Zelda

Tulip

2 Likes

I can see signs of drooping again on Zelda, but not enough that I’d think I would have to water again today. If I do I’d please like someone to advise me on how to water her next time?

Tulip is happy. Her purple stripes on her stem are vanishing and she’s knuckling all over. She’s almost as tall as Zelda now. I can’t tell if Zelda is stretching at all, but I can definitely tell tulip is starting hers, but she’s also thickening the stems when she does evening out growth.

The Basil is officially back to growing again. The top I had pinched is resuming growth from that tip again and still I much prefer the bushier basil growth pattern from top instead of fim.

The garlic and herbs in the pot next to Zelda and Tulip are growing extremely well. That garlic seems to be in love with what I’m doing. Something I’ve learned is purple basil appears to have different nutrient requirements than sweet basil. Enough that the seedlings just struggle and die by the time it takes the sweet basil to get huge. For comparison sweet basil took no more than a week after sprouting to get some growth and not just get bigger cotyledons and the purple basil took a long time to sprout at all and then when they did they’re very slowly growing and most have shriveled up. None are dead yet, but it’s clear they are not happy in the same soil sweet basil and the rest of the herbs are thriving in.

Zelda

Tulip

Group

Basil

Garlic & Herbs

3 Likes

Zelda is looking very happy and so does Tulip today. Not a lot of info in this update as I’m still half asleep. All I can say until I wake up is that I noticed that Zelda is getting taller now too. She’s stretching into the lights and is now about 13-14" from them. Tulip is determined to be up at Zelda’s height. The basil needs some nitrogen soon.

Zelda

Tulip

Basil

3 Likes

Tulip is almost at Zelda’s top height finally and Zelda is officially working on stretching her tops too. The very top stems are just chilling and not stretching that much. Hopefully the canopy evens out soon. I was definitely right on the Basil and it’s hungry. Once it drinks up the water in the soil it’ll get more. All the soil is now behaving like Normal soil and isn’t drying out faster than the plants want. I had watered with a drop of Dawn dish soap in the water. Not enough to make suds. Just enough to make the water vaguely cloudy after. The soil has been behaving much better after that luckily.

Zelda

Tulip

Basil

5 Likes

Tulip finally has started to make her top colas! :star: Zelda is making new top growth still every couple of days, but otherwise she’s looking good too. She sorta seems the same every day TBH :skull::sweat_smile:

Zelda

Tulip

4 Likes

Well… Zelda has a deficiency now😅
She’s had a topdress of insect frass when the Lucky’s did, bit otherwise she’s had straight water for a long time now. I’ll have to scroll up and find out when I last added nutes to the water for her. She’s about 14" from the lights and some spots are 12". Since she’s in flower I’d guess that’s good. I didn’t realize how fast they both were growing as it appears to be very compact growth. Tulip is much more obvious with her growth pattern when she’s starting to stretch.

Zelda

For Tulip training will be much easier as I can bend her over properly next time as I’ve been using her as practice anyways. She seems to love to take a beating. She’s shy though and won’t show off her scars. Every single one never shows up on camera and I noticed she is shading them though in all seriousness. She’s starting to make tops now that she’s at 14" average from the lights. Otherwise I don’t see anything wrong with Tulip and I just have to train her a bit to help her see the light. I’ll need to arrange the lights better or add more in soon.

Tulip

What training methods would work best on Zelda? I can only raise the lights so much before they’re going to be too tall at the rate she’s going and also I’m not sure I accounted for a 3x stretch with Zelda. She has preflowers almost all the way down to the base of each stem. It makes it difficult to know what to do as the stems are pretty woody now. Please help?:sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Watering day for the girls. Zelda and Tulip both got 48oz water spread over a couple of hours. Runoff leaked out from halfway down and pics are from before watering. Out RN and I’ll take follow-up pics to compare. They may still need a little more, but I hope not😅

Zelda

Tulip

3 Likes

I felt the soil below both pots and around the space and watered with another 36oz each. Neither is showing overwatering and both seem to be able to take even more. Either way it won’t matter. I’ll increase the water again if needed next time.

For now here’s some pics again. I’ll be going in one last time to take pictures and check on things in a few hours before I’m gone for the day.

Zelda

Tulip

2 Likes

Last hour before I leave now and so I took pictures a little early before I forgot and I see I did a very good job today :star:
Both Zelda and Tulip are 45° pleased with what I did. They must have been really thirsty as even though Zelda looks strange like that her leaves are telling me she’s super happy.

Zelda

Tulip

3 Likes

Humidity has climbed up a significant amount.:sweat_smile: If it keeps up I’ll have to move them around a bit. It seems the Basil is maintaining a strong hold over the environment. What I would like is for that spot to not be 68f constantly when I go to check in on the plants. Even when I had the house at 76f it was 72f at best in that spot.

Zelda

Tulip

Last pics before I LITFA for a day or 2. They could use the time alone.

Zelda

Tulip

2 Likes

Happy 420! Surprise update as I got home before the hour after lights off to take pictures and check on the plants in case an emergency watering was due. The last one seems to have helped greatly and I’ll be watering like that for the 2 here from now on. Much easier than a once every 2 days schedule.

Zelda

Tulip

5 Likes