Oni's 2nd grow. Continued

Could be thirsty or could have root issues from over watering…leaves say I am thirsty though the stems say too much - really conflicting. I really don’t want to go through 2-3 times a day postings to get the info soooo…how long has she been like this? Was her pot wet or dry when you bent her? How much are you watering? frequency?

3 Likes

The plan was to water with plain water for 2 waterings and then add nutes on the 3rd watering. Feed, water, water, feed, water, water. Repeat.

1 Like

Okay, so she was dry when I bent her. I train before I water as she’s most pliable at that point. I water her once every 3-4 days now. I had been at around a gallon every 2 days, bit she was drooping like that just not as bad before. She has half the soil previously completely dry and last watering I got her whole soil amount saturated finally with 1.5 gallons. No runoff happened at all. That was Wednesday. Last I checked her topsoil was bone dry. I lifted her pot and it was light. Maybe 20lbs tops and when I filled it initially it was closer to 30lbs. I almost had no resistance deadlifting it and I prepped for a back strained lift too.

1 Like

I had to ask because I stopped following when I saw the roots on your auto and decided to focus only on the baby’s. Looking at her reminds me of roots dying off on such a big girl…had that happen on a couple big girls going limp like that literally overnight thinking they were thirsty when really rot had set in pushing them too hard. Not saying that’s what it is though a gallon every 2 days is too much - that’s about what I give my 40 gallon’s every 3-4 days with plants in full flower.

We have changed your environment a bit so there is going to be some push back from the older ones though she “should” have responded better then again she could be just more finicky. Since its been 4 days, do as @toastyjakes says and we’ll see how she responds…this will give us more of an idea of what may be going on with her

1 Like

Okay, so for watering this time I’m doing 8oz of water per half of topsoil and I sprayed the sides after the first watering to hopefully get the soil to be better at absorbing the water. 35oz of water so far is what I’ve added to her topsoil. I sprayed the surface evenly before I did any of this also.

3 Likes

I gave Zelda water in increments today. So far in 3.
The first pics here are after the second had a couple of hours to settle. She still looked droopy, so I gave her some more water.

So I started slowly watering again 8oz at a time and in total I added 48oz of water to Zelda. This 3rd time. Should be 96oz of water in total. 9.9 liters over the day.

Here’s the pics right away after I finished watering
Midna got 7oz water as some spilled over the top.
Daisey got 32oz water.
Tulip got 32oz water.
Basil also got 8oz water.
No runoff has occurred yet on any of the pots.

Zelda Sprouted December 18th

Tulip Sprouted December 18th

Daisey Sprouted December 16th

Midna Sprouted February 6th

Hygrometer

After some time to drink Zelda looks much happier. I’ll leave it here unless I’m told to give her more. Just shy of 3 liters over the day is a lot from what I’m being told. Zelda did perk up though, so it was in the right range. Maybe too much or not enough.

Let the judging commence
Zelda

Tulip

Daisey

Midna

Hygrometer

1 Like

Curled leaves on the top of the first one… that witch finger look, raises some questions

1 Like

Lights off. Last pics right before they turned off.

Zelda

Tulip

Daisey

Midna

Hygrometer

My humidity in my room next to the grow room

Yes she’s clawed from too much nitrogen. She was happy until her soil got too dry, but I’ve been working on getting her on the road to recovery. She was eating her leaves before I added nutes last.

Zelda is a little less sad looking today. Still droopy s little, but I’d rather wait unless specifically told that I should water again so soon. Her topsoil already looks reddish light brown from a dark blackish brown.

That really confuses me. There has to be something that explains why my soil likes to dry out so quickly. It’s not like it’s full of sand. I get that it dries out on all sides evenly, but even then the roots usually hold on to water in the soil wherever they’ve spread to. Zelda last I saw had roots in half the pot. The half she’s pulled over. The other half didn’t seem to feel like anything was rooting in it. Sounds like a bag of cereal when you check the sides for moisture level.

I’ll get up and take pics in a minute. When I went in earlier my phone was dead.

1 Like

Then it sounds more like a moisture retention problem

1 Like

It’s been my suspicion TBH. Is there any way to fix this? I was thinking maybe compost could help, but how would I add it to the soil?

Zelda

Tulip

Daisey

Midna

Hygrometer

Clover and Basil

1 Like

As she gets bigger, she will drink more and more. She was clearly too dry, notice the improvement?

1 Like

Yes I do. Originally I gave her 2 gallons of water and she was good with 1.5 though for awhile. I gave 1 gallon only once she showed issues. Then she got dehydrated before the next watering.

I’ll get her ideal watering nailed down eventually.

At least she’s starting to lift the 200g weight now. Her top is working out LoL

I like frequent small waterings myself. Usually water my LOS containers every two days. Usually just enough to keep the top moist. I use about a gallon for my 15-gallon no-till bed every other day, sprayed on the surface using my Chapin sprayer.

1 Like

I’ll have to find her over time preference.

Should I add small amounts for now daily. 16oz or so at a time to cover the topsoil down 3-4"
I’ve noticed the soil will dry before my eyes if that makes any sense. I’m really sure that my soil has poor water retention.

1 Like

I would go every other day, 16 oz. Let it dry some, the roots air as well as water. It’s part of learning to read the plants. Last time was too much, water it sooner this time.

1 Like

Is it okay to spray the topsoil to keep it moist for the clover? I don’t want to lose a the progress I’ve made in rehydrating the soil. I have a storage bin I can use to water the fabric pots from the bottom now. I might do that next as it doesn’t let dry pockets as easily

1 Like