Panama Red strain ----which would you grow

I have an Orient Express in motion this Summer, really looking forward to seeing the shape

5 Likes

Looking at the Ace site now I see changes. New actual Landraces from country of origin and lots of them. I wasnā€™t too happy to see @yobigdaddy pull a pck pheno out of the Purple Malawi f2 i gave him. The original plants were all Sativa in appearance but the secret Indica reared its ugly head the next generation. I hope they will start remembering the secret ingredients from now on. Flowering time is a big clue. Malawi Gold flowers 16-18 weeks in country.
Purple Malawi was 10-11 weeks

8 Likes

Well, if you figure thereā€™s some sort of formula that a sativa will take a certain amount of hours of sun to hit full maturity and if youā€™re only giving it 10 hours of daylight the whole cycle, On a 100 days strain thatā€™s 200 hours or about 8 days less sunshine, and potentially that much less maturity( full potency potential)too. I wish I could remember where I read that resin levels are lower with less light hours. That would be too much. I would have to remember not only everything I read but would also have to remember everywhere I read it. I do like the idea of lessening light hours so that for the finish you would have short days like that to help ripening/ flower size, but my schedule wonā€™t allow that. I like to have time in the morning and at night to work on the plants so I need a longer on cycle.
It was only one article that I read about less light hrs/ less sativa resin, but I highly respected the person that wrote it, so thatā€™s what Iā€™m going with. Ive read both arguments.
In tropical areas where there are 2 crops a year, one in the Summer and one in the Winter, such as manipur , India, for example, The winter crop is always inferior to the summer crop in both yield and quality.

6 Likes

Supposed to be a special smoke

4 Likes

It was a tough call; coin-toss for her or the Violettaā€¦ Ace has been good and steady over the years to me as Iā€™ve been learning. Now Iā€™m ready for the crazy strains, and thereā€™s concerns.
Makes OverGrow that much more SpECiAl

5 Likes

Yes good stepping stone strains before going whole hog for Sativa.
P Malawi/ Violetta are the same thing basically

3 Likes

Thanks for that @Upstate
ps All this seed-planning shows Sept as seeing your Durban Poison mixes finally getting on the Marque. Indoors !

3 Likes

Hereā€™s the Ace Description for Bangi Haze:
Sativa / Indica ratio: 70 % sativa / 30 % indica
F8 stabilized Congolese x Nepalese hybrid.
Dubi explains: ā€œBangi haze was a complex hybrid of congolese x nepalese with a hint of haze hybrid influence. Now is a very uniform inbred line which can we used to cross with other inbred lines,producing strong and vigorous F1 hybrids. Her fast flowering, mold/cold resistance,good production of high quality and resinous flowers and her powerful energetic Congolese high are desirable traits for breeding.ā€

1 Like

Found this but not sure how to get the full study.

2 Likes

Where is Dubiā€™s explanation on that link? I searched high nā€™ low, the actual listing does not display the fact there has been more than just congo x nepal. Iā€™ll just assume every time they use the word ā€œstabilizedā€ iā€™ll know thereā€™s some secret sauce that destroys the purity of the line.

2 Likes

I got it from the icmag forum under Aceā€™s Bangi Haze post.
Hereā€™s the link.

Begs the question as to why that information is not in the sales listing, why not be upfront about the genetic lineage?

2 Likes

Iā€™ve also heard much controversy over itā€™s historical lineage as well. I think much of that info was scrubbed from ICMAG a long while back though. I did come across this person on RIU stating there was super silver haze mixed in to stabalize it.

https://www.rollitup.org/t/bangi-haze-ace-seeds.1051048/#post-16713039

I know if you search here on OG there are some rumors as well about itā€™s origins.

4 Likes

Yessir. Easier to get some good scrubbinā€™ done when youā€™re a sponsor on ICMAG. According to the lore on the grape vine here, he was jackin vibes lines as well to get things going.

2 Likes

If you have an Icmag account, ask Dubi what haze hybrid he used to cross with the Nepalese hybrid used in Bangi Haze.
He answers questions regularly. Let us know what he says.

I had read there was a good deal of Paki found in the Malawi, Congo and others as well as the SSH you mention. :call_me_hand:

2 Likes

like their new format __ ICMAG needed a change - like Overgrow - ICMA is an ā€œoldieā€ also !!!

Ace Congo is and always was listed as Congo x Pakistan in description, so, yes, there is indica in it, of corse

Dr.GreenThumbs has Referemansā€™s panama strain in his Panama Red strain (Dr.Greenthumbs) FYI

2 Likes

people have asked, he doesnā€™t tell - they should update the list if they want to align their offering with some more integrity