Pearly Bud Pheno Question

Hi Fellow OG’ers,

Does anyone know of a breed that carries the pearly bud pheno other than Dr. Grinspoon?
I’ve been working this project for 5 years now and have found the gal that I am finally satisfied with that has pearl like growths. I’ve s3 the mother and would like to backcross it with something similar to move forward with the project.
The genetics that I am currently working with is Purple Malawi x Purple Chitral Kush and am working it more towards the sativa side of things.
I will also be crossing this gal with Dynasty’s Alpenglow and Dynasty’s Mt. Hood Huckleberry F4 since the Terp profiles can reinforce the Red Wine and sweet floral scents.
If anyone has any suggestions please chime in.
Thanks

22 Likes

Can you explain the “pearly bud”, not sure if it’s your slang or an English term i don’t met yet.

8 Likes

Pearl Stem Oaxacan BX1 and it’s a hell of a good smoke. @deeez99 hooked me up with it and I’m rerunning clones of the first seeds I sprouted.

Edit: It might not be what you’re looking for for this project though. Sorry, I just got excited. :rofl::rofl:

12 Likes

@Fuel
The pearly pheno in cannabis grows small pearl like buds on the stems or within the buds themselves. Here’s a grinspoon photo that best represents the pheno. It’s not something that you would grow for weight or bag appeal so most folks that come across it usually don’t breed towards it, basically for headstash only.
th-1499770846

17 Likes

Thanks Rasterman,
Probably not what I’m looking for but sounds wonderful and I’ll look into the Pearl Stem Oaxacan as it sure sounds yummy. I have a few packs of Oaxacan from a couple of breeders and might have to do a pheno hunt. Thanks again.

6 Likes

Something like this, but without seeds. I like the adjective to describe this, pearly. Adopted :grinning:

7 Likes

Yeah I think I have some seeds that I want to get to. It looks delicious to me. :fire:

4 Likes

Let’s get @Upstate over here.
I swear I seen him, @MissinBissin, or @HeadyBearAdventures grow something like that before.
:thinking:
Interesting project bud. :+1:t3:

8 Likes

Exactly, the buds are the sizes of pearls. I’ve grown a few landraces and hazes that have the pearly features but not as tight noded, frosty and colorful as the one I’m working on currently. The reason for the backcross is so that I can hunt for males and to make standard seeds instead of selfing.

7 Likes

I think @Maddawg grew something called “ string of pearls” pheno but I cant remember exactly. Hey @Tlander didnt you grow one of those? :rainbow:

6 Likes

Was just about to say ,
somewhere in Africa …
but Malawi obviously checks that box,
so I am at a dead-end for an answer.
Great work!

4 Likes

@rasterman is right about Oaxaca.
I have heard that being a trait in that line as well
N
If I am not mistaken
Was used as basis for Grinspoon (original)
Don’t “quote” me though

Damn shame that Royal seeds is now ran by corporate goons
who just redirect any info regarding Grinspoon
to the next guy there;
and nobody has any answers except
“Send an email too ___…” and they dont respond.

Answers for Grinspoon should be taken with fluoride water and tv programming.

7 Likes

IIRC @upstate has some oaxaca exhibiting that flowers. Destroyer from cannabiogen also has that kind of phenos. That’s certainly a nice kind of flower, and it usually has a very good high.

Edit: found it:

11 Likes

Finally more people who are fans of this trait like me! I haven’t gotten my hands on any pearly beans yet but Dr.Grinspoon was on my list because it was the first I knew about.

7 Likes

Dr. Grinspoon has been reworked and does not produce the “beads” anymore. There may be someone here with the old version? :rainbow:

6 Likes

I’ll have to look around :pensive: don’t yet have a ton of trading stock, I may see about doing an “art 4 beans” thread once I handle most of my pre existing commissions.

6 Likes

Im sure “art for beans” will work . However, If you interact with people and just make friends it is likely that someone will just give you seeds. The OG is very compassionate. :rainbow:

8 Likes

Loll that’s actually the harder path for me! But I’ll try, thanks for the advice.

5 Likes

You will do fine. :grin: :rainbow:

3 Likes

I was playing around with what I called a “pearl-stem” pheno from @Upstate Oaxacan stock a few years back.

Might have some hybrids/filial work with it, including Oaxacan ‘pearl stem’ x Purple Pakistani beans in the fridge, if you think it’s help

16 Likes