"People's Garden": Good or Bad?

Thanks Doug!

1 Like

Ok, sorry! :grimacing:
That was probably my fault…LOL :innocent:
I have a on topic question.

I think my man had a good point.

So could such a registration be used to find/shut down gardens in say, an emergency drought situation?

2 Likes

Ugh.

That would be the most inefficient way to find people wasting water in a drought. The issue isn’t really for gardens as they don’t take up that much water. The issue is lawns and keeping them green.

Regardless, the water company / city can tell how much you use without needing you to register your garden.

3 Likes

It’s just data, you can use it for whatever you want to find, depends on the feed of course. If people register their garden and what they grow and whatever there is else, you can analyze /evaluate that.

1 Like

:grin:

how about that.

1 Like

Bad
CCP crap
You grow it, we take it and leave you 5 percent.
Hell no, people need to think hard about telling the gubermint any fooking thing
Imo

3 Likes

This sounds basically like Victory Gardens 2.0

Fundamentally, anything that gets folks (especially kids) out digging and growing veggies is a good thing.

…Those that survive, will have ‘a leg up’ over the rest … In the zombie apocalypse… :+1: :wink:

Cheers
G

6 Likes

Up until recently (last decade IIRC), in the PRoK, it was illegal to collect rain water, either the stuff that fell on your roof or collected with any type of container.

2 Likes

They weren’t the ones, a couple countries than were talked (bought off) into privatizing the water and selling off the rights to foreign corporations.
This was done by the graduates of Milton Friedman’s Chicago School of Economics.

Cheers
G

Here is a good example of our govt saving us from ourselves. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Amos Miller faces $300,000 in fines and jail-time for processing his own meat to avoid USDA-required chemical preservatives.

The govt. seems to be saying here we are required to consume chemical preservatives.

So back on topic here…
So I just skimmed the paperwork on this.
But it seems they may be making a map of all the gardens.

If that is true, that would make them easy pickins if a food shortage ever was in the forecast. :thinking:

@Gpaw I think you might have misunderstood me. The PRoK is The Peoples Republic of Kalifornia. When we first moved back here, in the late 80’s, I tried to set up a Rain Barrel Collection setup for my folks, so they could keep the lawn and garden green without using a lot of water (collect as much as you can in the winter and use in the summer). After spending about $300, They got a knock o0n the door from some ID-10-T’s from the state dept of water something or another. They were told that some code enforcement person saw our setup and called them. They said it was illegal to collect water, in the state of CA and that it all had to go back into the ground because drought of something. If we didn’t dismantle in on three days, they would fine my folks $100 a day until it was. Needless to say it was gone that day (used most of the supplies for other things so no real waste.

1 Like

A strange thing and I don’t understand fully how it all works but…
Water can be purchased on the stock market.

I am not positive on all the details of this…but pretty sure china owns US farmland with water rights.

1 Like

this is because, depending on the water needs of your region, taking water for yourself (specially if there is no limit, for ex, people with infrastructure have been found to collect literally millions of gallons) that way would do ecological damage or affect others if it needed to end up in underground currents or on a city collection system. but the reality is, most places in the world allow it, and have placed systems to avoid abuses, instead of just prohibiting.

i mean… he was also selling it without complying with USDA reg, that got people sick and apparently even KILLED one person from a listeriosis outbreak linked to his milk

something like that, what you do is buy stocks of companies with water related activies (stocks of companies that deal with water infrastructure, water distribution, flow technology, utilities, water solutions, etc) or efts (exchange traded funds). its basically equity in the companies in one way or another, not the lands themselves - land owning, is just buying the land which doesnt give you rights over surface water. ground water is a different story (owned by the landowner)… but those arent stocks either.

you dont even need to look at China with fear, just take a look at Flinn, Michigan and corporations like nestle… they had no issue bottling water super cheap (for just 200 dollars, literally - at that price, its better than owning).

anyway,

peoples garden sounds like a place id like to hang around at. without giving them my info tho :slight_smile: ok, maybe.

6 Likes

Still an issue with some states out west. I used to install water features, and rainwater harvesting is a big one for gardners. Save all the water from your roof to a 3k-10k gallon underground “storage area” (liner wrapped around aquablocks aka heavy duty milk crates). You could get fined in some states for collecting rainwater!!! STILL!!! The Govt. says “the water is not yours”

I wanna see someone sue one of those states for rot damage because water penetrated their roof. “But it was YOUR water that damaged my home”… How quickly they will disown the water!!!

3 Likes

Our food system is mostly trash, and our government does a poor job with many things but I believe this to be misinformation. Please support this with some sources. I did not see this anywhere in the editorial you posted(it was more editorialized than it was informative).

To my knowledge no chemical preservatives are necessary to legally slaughter and process livestock. There are disinfectants that need to be used on equipment and we should all be very thankful for that.

Many states allow raw milk only through small cooperatives. Skipping pasteurization increases the likelihood of possible food born pathogens. This is of minimal risk, but when you take that and scale it too much that’s where the big issues begin. That’s what the issue here seems to be and this editorial glances over some of the finer points of how we could fix our food system in favor of what to me comes off as pseudo libertarian soapboxing(that’s me editorializing).

4,000 is a much, much larger membership than I have seen at any raw milk co-op, which is the system for people to have access for raw milk, while still keeping things reasonably safe and manageable by virtue of scale and decentralization. If one dairy farm that serves 400 people has an outbreak it’s one thing, 4,000 is another, 4million is yet another.

If you’d like to delve deeper into some of the points of how our agricultural system works, and how we can fix or fight some of these things while keeping people safe I would look into the work of Joel Salatin
of Polyface Farm.

It is important to stay vigilant about these things, but there is enough bullshit to actually worry about that to get too worked up over (or spread) misinformation.

Edit: edited to include full quote

3 Likes

anything with “peoples” in it count me out sounds a lil to like ummm china old soviet

3 Likes

I thought of starting a community garden on my own property but I sure as hell won’t be telling the government

1 Like

Of course it could. There is already a law on the books that allows the government to take your food or your water in an emergency situation. The government deems what is an emergency

2 Likes

I am having trouble finding proper info on this topic.

If you have any info I could read, I would be grateful.

Thanks, I will check it out.

Also
Are you saying you believe there are no preservatives or chemicals that are required by the govt.?
I have not found any available for purchase.

But maybe I am not looking in the right places.
Where could I find meat to purchase with no additives at all.
Could you point me in that direction?

Drinking or otherwise consuming raw milk is legal in all 50 states .
With the exception of Michigan.

BTW
I am not trying to spread misinformation, that is the whole purpose of this discussion.
Or at least I thought it was.

I did say The govt. seems to be saying
I was not trying to state that as if it were fact, we were discussing things, to get to the bottom of it.
At least that is what I was attempting to do.

It would seem that these laws are not as cut and dry as one may think.

On another note…
How many have gotten sick or died from govt regulated food.
I do not have the contract to prove it but supposedly everyone had to sign a contract that states they knew the meat was not processed in a licensed facility.

They knew the risks…
The question I have is…
Do we really need the govt to save us from ourselves?

I am all to aware of what those jokers are doing, I still don’t understand how they can get away with that…WTF
It is wrong on sooo many levels.

Alas this is all off-topic discussion, dunno if it should be in another thread or not.
And I am not opposed.

1 Like