Peter's Perfect - Reengineering 321 Formula to the Ultimate Coco Experience

Are you Still using the citrus :tangerine: now ? He said about using Epsom salts too with seaweed fulvic silca thatā€™s it ā€¦ what do you use with it ? So you used both jacks & citrus & you went back to citrus why ? Just woundering thanks :+1:

2 Likes

Sorry and a calmag to bring starting water up to 0.4 :+1:

2 Likes

Apologies for thread detour.

The Citrus I use is Jackā€™s Citrus FeED. I never stopped using it.

I have been using it constantly for at least 7 years.
I tried Mega Crop in the summer of ā€˜18, but went right back to Jackā€™s Citrus after less than a month using MC.
I only use the Citrus, I do not add anything else.

As the OP mentioned, the Citrus is not suitable for coco as your medium.

I do not need/use Epsom salts for my amended ProMix grows.
I used Jackā€™s Dynamic Duo before I switched to Jackā€™s Citrus

This is the Jackā€™s I use;

8 Likes

Yeah itā€™s the same I gets you thanks again for reply bud ā€¦

Apologies too guys my bad newbie on theses forums :+1:

3 Likes

Do you happen to have any photos of your harvest or bud shots using the Jackā€™s citrus blend?
Thank you I think itā€™s ok this is all Jackā€™s , MC, salts thread.

3 Likes

I ran masterblend on some autos in coco. I think I under fertilized them and flushed to early. I was happy with results though and it was easy to use.

4 Likes

Iā€™m still working on getting it right too, but overall, I think itā€™s better than 321. Itā€™s definitely easier to hit the kinds of nutrient targets that are good for coco. Iā€™ll be using it for flower for the forseeable future, and using what I have left of the 5-11-26 for veg/transition.

7 Likes

This might be a weird question, I got the masterblend (&magnesium nitrate) for my new coco cannabis adventure, but I also changed the nutrient solution for my kratky style pepper grow to the masterblend (with the other mag).

They are doing good, have been for about a week now, and are throwing down flowers.

I guess what Iā€™m trying to ask is, does anyone know the nute requirements for pepper plants? How do they compare to our favourite herbs?!
Something I can do to tailor my solution to my spicy children?

3 Likes

So Ive read a majority of this and I have a question. Its in regards to Jacks321. I run Ebb and Flow. Running, ive noticed on strain had nitrogen toxicity, while another looksā€¦ well depressed. I am wondering if anyone can suggest a ratio that helps with the nitrogen toxitcity, cause when I try to change things, things take a left turn. I am running an ec currently for my seedlings at 1.0 and my big gals at 1.5-1.7.

4 Likes

Iā€™m about to join you in the ebb and flow world soon. I would say that your best bet for reducing nitrogen is to use calprime in place of calnitrate. But probably even easier/cheaper is to use master blend in place of jackā€™s.

Iā€™m currently using both master blend and jacks (Peters). Iā€™ve been switching to master blend after stretch, and nitrogen issues havenā€™t been as bad for me. However some pure sativas are still curling tips down. Not tox yet, but theyā€™d still prefer less.

I can tell you that when I switch to ebb and flow, if I want to lower the N, first thing Iā€™ll try is master blend. Then if I still have plants complaining, Iā€™ll do master blend + calprime. For all practical purposes, I think that is the lowest you can get your N without using less desirable things like CaCl.

5 Likes

really? regular calnite from jacks is 15.5-0-0 and calprime is 17-0-0. Also, for all these different ratios that I see in the replies, are they exclusive to Coco? Can they be used in Flood and drain and DWC? to me its sad that out of two tents 2 plants same strain are getting hit and one in my other tent is starting to show the signs.

1 Like

Calprime has a higher ratio of calcium to nitrogen. You would mix less of it to achieve the same calcium ppm, but the net result is lower nitrogen for the same ppm of calcium. But i havenā€™t used it yetā€¦ itā€™s only a 5-10% tweak.

You can absolutely use the same formulas for hydro methods. But Iā€™ve kept the focus narrow here, because coco has some additional challenges due to effects from the media. Especially for those of us using it with very soft water and LEDs, it can be a bit of a struggle to keep up the Ca and Mg at levels that well not cause nitrogen problems.

4 Likes

oh trust me. I have those issues also. Under quantum boards I thought I had enough headspace and my leaves started curling down. For like 2 weeks I thought it was nitrogen tox. Turns out I was too close to the light and has too much nitrogen. The joys of choosing to be a green thumb. Also, you are awesome man. Maybe too good fur us. Please dont stop sharing the knowledge cause i will be back for more!

P.s can you describe what ā€œhingeā€ is referring to? nitrogen hinge element @35

4 Likes

Thank you, I knew all this thinking out loud would help someone. LOL

Iā€™m learning as I go too. I havenā€™t gotten to the point of mixing from individual salts yet. It would be ā€œeasierā€ to hit nutrient targets, but what a pain in the ass to inventory and mix 6-10 different salts. Iā€™m trying to keep it simple as much as possible.

Iā€™m not sure if ā€œhingeā€ is any kind of scientific thing. Iā€™ve just seen it used for discussion in other forums when I was gathering information about what recipes other people were using. Since you can arbitrarily dilute any mix of nutrients, it can be helpful to fix one element at a particular level so that you can compare the rest. Eg. if you set 40ppm of P as your hinge point for two formulas, how do the other elements compare?

Edit: Also hinge could be used to set a target of another nutrient in a formula. Eg if you wanted a certain ratio of Ca to P, you have to decide which element you want to ā€œhingeā€ on. Eg if you wanted a 2:1 ratio of Ca:P and you want to set 50ppm of P, then you need 100ppm of Ca. And then everything else is determined from thereā€¦ 1.75:1 K:Ca so 175ppm of K and so on.

5 Likes

On the subject of micros, and low N.
I picked up a sack of TM-7 to possibly play with this winter. (uh oh - lol)

The TM7 micro numbers are high compared to Jacks base.

Need to determine a good combination of lower base nutes (Jacks, Master, etc) to lower the N + some TM-7 to keep micro levels up.
Then add other needed elements to complete the recipe. (ca, mg, si, etc)

TM7

5 Likes

I have TM7 too, but in order to lower the base mix you will be lowering P and K even more than N. So then you also need MPK and potassium sulfate. And then you start to ask yourself if the base mix is worth using at all. :joy:

As Iā€™m writing this, i think MPK, K2S, TM7, Epsom and calcium nitrate is all you need for a complete bloom formulaā€¦ and might be one worth trying. You could get really low N using just those. Call it the sativa formula.

Sulfur will be pretty high thoughā€¦

4 Likes

so just to make sureā€¦ These are Jackā€™s ratios?
Gotta confirm before I start making up my batch

" > atman

3-1-2 Veg
2-1-3 Flower
Phosphorus is hinge element @ 40ppm

Yosemite Sam
Altered Fatmanā€™s
3-1-4 Veg
2.5 -1 -4.4 Flower
Phosphorus is hinge element @ 40ppm

Capulator newest (he started w/ yosemite formula)
2.75 -1 - 3.74 Veg
2 - 1 - 4.4 Flower
Phosphorus is hinge element @ 50 ppm

Jalisco Kid
2 - 1 - 4 Veg
2 - 1 - 4.6 Flower
1.3 - 1 - 3.6 Boost
Phosphorus is hinge element @ 60 ppm (excluding boost P= 90)

Dankworth
2 - 1 - 5 Flower
1.2 - 1 - 3.5 Boost
Nitrate is the hinge element @ 120 ppm

Dizzlekush
4.28 -1 - 4.71 Veg
3 - 1 - 3.3 Flower
Phosphorus is hinge element @ 35 (veg) and 50 (bloom)"

5 Likes

No those arenā€™t mixing ratios. Those are NPK ratios people have tried by mixing Jackā€™s(?) formula in different amounts. You would still need to find out how many grams of each component they use to get those nutrient ratios.

3 Likes

Thereā€™s a rock bottom Nitrogen formula like we were talking about. I used a little potassium silicate to offset a bit of the sulfur. But if not an issue, Iā€™d prefer to shift that back into potassium sulfateā€¦ because I hate dealing with the pH drift.

I have all of these things, so maybe Iā€™ll try it next fill. I have some sativas in bloom and theyā€™re pissed off about N right nowā€¦

Edit: If I were buying salts to mix this, Iā€™d consider trying PeKacid (similar to MKP, but acidic) to offset potassium silicate, and maybe get some KMS instead of potassium sulfate + epsom.
PeKacid/Agsil 16H/KMS/Calcinit/TM7 would be the fancy version of this mix.

5 Likes

a blender sightingā€¦ right thar folksā€¦ thars a blenderā€¦ I love it.

3 Likes