PHYLOS grumblings

Phylos is just sub company of big ag. Its crazy that people think that they have to wait till it becomes federally legal to get into the green rush theyre already here obviously. Biotech already has 3 patents out there first dating to 2014 and obviously our government has theyre patent as well. Its been happening.

3 Likes

We gotta spread that yeast EVERYWHERE! :wind_blowing_face:

:upside_down:

:evergreen_tree: everybody literally must get stoned!

3 Likes

His words , his way to speak , dont inspire trust, is like hearing a child telling you that he didn’t do what you saw him and record him too and show him the video and still telling is not him, this kind of make me sad, more reason for us to get encourage and do our own projects, when this people finish messing aroud all you will end up having something really different because the couldn’t profanate it and take ot from you until they find a way to do it too is just we have to wait to see it, and i will tell again, i knew it all along since i knew of their existence, that they will try to take it from the breeders, they will protect whoever’s have the money to be protected

4 Likes

Phylos’s CEO explaining their plan to wipe out all cannabis varietals in existence today and replace them with their proprietary genetics… before selling out the company to Big Ag… NOT even tripping… That is literally what he explains below

1 Like

And this is Kevin Jodrey justifying Phylos’s actions…

Disheartening to say the least. We have been warning this was coming. An Open Source License for breeders is urgently necessary!

1 Like

The Strainly team should actually read the discussion threads before they post their Social Media Marketing spam hit-and-runs. Hard to believe you “care” about an issue when you don’t “care” to read the conversation you are interrupting. Both of those clips have been posted previously above.

2 Likes

plantmoreseeds

“I really think most people are missing the point in the phylos debacle. Its not about breeding. Its about honesty and integrity.”

3 Likes

The shitty thing is if phylos dident do this somebody else would, big ag is going to swoop in eventualy with the same business model they apply to every other crop. It sucks he got people to pay him to collect there data and used it to build a gene database that he will profit largely from. Right now somebody could go out and purchase as many types as are on a shelf and use it to build a data base like he did. It wouldent be a drop in the bucket for big ag to do that. He is basically just trying to cash in on the take over when it happens and is willing to sell all his original customers out in the process. It’s scary to see what might become of are plant in the future . The very companies that lobbied against it for so long and said we cant have it will now take it from us first chance they get and sell it as there own. He carries on about how no breeding has ever been done with cannabis to increase its production and or immunities to disease. Boldly discrediting the work many have done to accomplish those very things. He appears to be just another dishonest business man willing to say what ever sells his agenda and puts more money In his pockets, makes sense considering some of the company he keeps. I could go on for a long time about how shitty what he did and is doing is but it was bound to happen. Hold on to your beans before the only ones available are all from the same small handful of giant corporate entities.

1 Like
6 Likes

A lot of he said, she said going on here. In short, cannabis is becoming an agricultural crop. Big Ag will move in one way or another.

Everyone has, finally, agreed that Phylos is not stealing genetics (tissue culture) from the samples sent in. What they have done is make deals with “breeders” to license or use their genetics.

All the data Phylos collected is/was opensource. Anyone could download their database and use it for a breeding program. Granted it is, apparently, about two years out of date. Phylos claims that Big Ag has already said they are not interested in the data they have collected.

The genetic data that Phylos uses for the galaxy is a very small sampling of the genetic code (called snips). They, allegedly, have created a new sniffer that generates many more snips. This is what they need to do marker assisted breeding. In short, the data they have now is useless.

Phylos also claims they will be developing plants for agricultural purposes, such as oil, seed protein, and fiber production. They do plan to work with “craft flower” breeders, but that is not the market they are planning to develop plants for.

Phylos also claims they will not use CRISPR or make GMO weed.

Now given Phylos’ track record, can we believe them or not? My guess is if the money is right, they will indeed move into the “craft flower” market. I think they have ruined their reputation in th cannabis community and will never be able to recover from that.

Sorry for the long rampling post, but this is a very complicated issue.

7 Likes

this was an interesting q&a with the founder of medicinal genomics which i guess is a phylos competitor, they also do testing and have something similar to the galaxy, the kannapedia. they post the data to the bitcoin blockchain so there’s a permanent record.

3 Likes

I want to brew beer with that stuff.

3 Likes

Interesting. I had not seen the Kannapedia site. Now there more and more genetic testing sites and labs. I used to get the cannabinoid and terpene results of many of the Steep Hill Lab tests, but no longer. I also have gotten offers from Phylos for trades for discounts on testing. Last time it was a deal if I had issues with PM on my plants. They offered me $100 discount for any future testing. I use refined Neem for PM and do not need their help for PM control. I never submitted anything to Phylos, or anything to the Open Cannabis Project, which is now (sadly) defunct in response to Phylos’ “intentional deception”.

3 Likes

The non sense they spread is as repulsive as there behavior and ethics. U just saw the mite spreader from wo ferland nursery saying hiw he submitted some rare Afghan seeds sourced straight from there that nobody else has. I my self have pre war Afghans as do many others. Afghan is one of the more common landraces available. Anybody who knows as much about weed as he and Mr clark do that say things like that or that landraces are extinct or that weed has never been intentionally bred to be better ( mowgli holmes) are trying to spread propaganda to support there sales pitch that only they have good stabil genetics. The whole thing is a bunch of bullshit. There are way more people out there hoarding beans then he will ever get his hands on to test and make part of his gene bank that he plans to sell to big ag/pharma. Sorry to those who got tricked by there web of lies

1 Like

This was probably the most informative video I’ve seen on the subject. Definitely worth the watch.

:roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Yeahhhhhhhhh gives you a nice warm fuzzy feeling about Phylos doesn’t it. And one of their breeding project managers spent 2 years at Monsanto… but everybody who warned of this was told to don their tinfoil hats. Not really sure how all of this will end, but being the betting man I am, I’ll put the mortgage on a complete shitshow. Personally cannot see a ‘good’ end to all of this

@lefthandseeds (forgot to tag your last post)

5 Likes

obviously most of this is moot @ this point, lol smh… galaxy was pointless unless u wanted to see if someone else’s cut was related to yur cut.

but one thing u said resonated.

yes i agree. although i dont like it at all. it will undo (at least temporarily) everything, I think that in terms of the greater good, it is the only route we can take. It is best to start fresh. it needs to be a govt -ran thing (also something i dont like to say), or even a multi-national coalition. like a global effort. It has to be methodical and treated as a purely educational endeavor.

Begin with landraces. then go get the original hybrids. and then the 2nd wave of dutch gear (90’s up to 2000 and to SSH, the last great strain produced there)

from there, you will have a baseline, and u can then plug in any new strain or cut or whatever and be able to trace it backwards…

Send teams into countries and collect landrace samples. GPS data, every bit of info is collected. even anecdotal info from the villagers and natives. Be methodical as fuck. make a record of everything.
from there, send teams into Californa, Washington State and Vancouver. and to Holland. and then to upstate NY/ East coast. and finally to FL.

Anyone with knowledge and/or the original gear will be wiling to talk and provid samples…If u held gear for decades you fully grasp the gravity of preserving and documenting these strians is.
The only thing preventing people from coming forwrd would be fear of prosecution, but by the time a project of this scale could gain ground, weed will be legal…

5 Likes

I’m packed and ready where you want to go first?

3 Likes

I think Phylos and OCP had the same beliefs when they started this. As anyone can see here, though, there are strong countervailing forces at work, namely ignorance and suspicion. Perhaps a consequence of our mostly solitary work, community action does not come easily for us.

3 Likes