Plant patents, trademarks, what are they and how do they work, Let’s discuss facts

None of these things should worry people who are just growing for themselves. It should worry people who are trying to make money by growing. Full legalization and Big Ag entering the picture is only going to commoditize cannabis and bring down profit margins on growers to rates seen in other commodity crops. It will hurt the growers, but will be great for consumers, as prices are going to crash across the board.
And that’s just US legalization…
If you want a glimpse of what international legalization is going to do to prices, do a google search on what Colombia and Ecuador, did to cut flower markets in America once refrigerated air cargo became affordable.

While I would not use the word worry, that is the word you chose.
I would be disturbed about this myself.

Do you really feel this is all these companies will change?
I have a different opinion.

Yea, like store bought weed, you do know how they make sure they don’t test positive for mold right?
Ozone bombardment, treating with chlorine gas and radiation.
I don’t wanna smoke that kind of trash myself
If you think store-bought weed is better, you should really rethink that.

Yea, cause legal weed is always cheaper…right?
I have seen prices as high as $35 a gram in stores, here in michigan now that it is legal here.

Again, I ask where are those rock bottom prices that legal weed brings.

I am sorry if it seems like I was picking on your response here.
I just completely disagree.
I hope I did not offend with my strong disagreement here.
Noting personal here.

Big Ag cannabis is only going to be good for Big AG.
Folks can keep their Monsanto weed, none for me thanks!

Peace
Shag

No offense taken at all, I think we agree on a lot more than my post made it seem.

I wasn’t trying to come off that big ag is going to be good for the industry, just that it’s not going to really effect home growers.

It’s going to effect the average joe who wants macro ag quality product at the lowest possible cost. Is it trash? Of coarse it is.

I don’t want anything to do with commercial grade store bought weed either, which is why I feel most of us are on this site :smile: .

Prices are going to drop significantly, the only reason they haven’t in Michigan is that it is an insulated market. Look at Canada as soon as it went nationally legal and the big corporations could enter, it was a race to the bottom, and not just on the low quality product.

1 Like

Unless I can download the patented plant along with that RAM I got from Alibaba, I’ll always go out of my way to take cuttings/make seed and spread them freely from any patented plants… Cannabis is going to be legal world wide soon and we gotta find a new “Nemesis” to overgrow haha We won the war, now lets turn our attention to the real problems at hand and learn to grow guzzoline!

I’m kidding about all the above and only said those things due to being stoned to the gills. Thought I should add this incase someone gets a bee in their bonnet and decides to start a crude refinery.

I’ll see myself out haha

1 Like

Cool, I think you are right, we do agree on more than I thought.
I can see, you see things pretty clearly now, I did misunderstand before thanks for the clairification. :grin:

I got no problem with a stoner rant, It is a guilty pleasure of mine also…LOL

1 Like

Biodiesel from hemp seed? :wink:

3 Likes

Are you sure about this? I’ve seen reasonable prices for poor quality weed from delivery services, and ludicrous prices for reasonable quality weed that friends have bought from local dispensaries.

Best price/quality is still the elusive “black market”, after homegrown of course.

2 Likes

You know the more I think about it, it seems we may all be putting the carriage before the horse so to speak. Which is natural given that MJ is something we care about. I think we are probably blowing the AG situation up because it’s our worst fear. I think that big AG and the pharms probably care very little about MJ or they would have lobbied to have it legalized. I also think that the government is going to do the right thing with MJ (which is why legalization is taking so long :wink:) and let the people do what they want with it. Descheduled with a blanket legalization…no silly plant counts etc.

Also, I feel that the large MJ grow op is a thing of the past when the war on drugs was at it’s height. With no risk to grow, everyone is going to want to grow small batch headstash and make bank, not work for $15 an hour in a growlab…

1 Like

:rofl:

:rofl:

I admire your optimism. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Every vote counts! :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

Thought to inject this as well…if there is a crypto coin that enables people to get free seeds and grow gear, small batch homegrown will boom and the prices will stabilize at higher than expected rates (weed has been $50 an eighth for 25 yrs). Also the horticulture industry would be in love with us, the horticultural industry could become the next “big” industry. This type of proof of stake coin is a win win for everyone.

https://overgrow.com/t/a-topological-approach-to-marijuana/81936

:four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover:

I must disagree.
This seems to show the skunkman and Bayer working together on a cannabis product.
That is just one.
year: 2003

A startup with ties to Bayer has inked a $122 million deal to make lab-grown marijuana — and it’s eyeing the pharma industry

Year: 2013
Scotts Miracle-Gro CEO Jim Hagadorn says he intends to spend as much as HALF A BILLION DOLLARS to buy out the cannabis industry.

• Has already spent more than $250 million in California and Amsterdam

This is all very old news.
Wonder what they have done since.
Think they are just waiting for federal legalization to buy everyone else out?
They are most likely massing a huge genetic library while they wait.

Sound crazy right!
Phylos named their target, it was the likes of syngenta, ect.

So you see they are interested, very interested.
As you see they have been interested for quite a long time now.
BTW
I do feel they are lobbying for federal legalization.
I believe we shall soon see it too.

Oh, boy, my man!
A plant in every yard is my motto…LOL
Handing your neighbor a bushel of bud along with tomatoes you have in the garden.

Everyone has way too much weed.
We have to throw it out cause it is too dry…LOL
Oh, yea, it is possible.

Will they do it???
Sorry, this is not personal…
No Fuckin’ way!
Why, you ask?
Cause they want that money.
If you/everyone have/has enough to just give it away, it will be impossible to sell.
Therefore no tax money.
Ya’ll know better than to be messin’ with them, revenuers. :money_mouth_face:

I feel these statements are in conflict with eachother.
Yes I feel huge black market grow ops are done for.
There is a huge huge war on the current black market as we speak.
In fact there is a huge war just to gain market share, folks snitching on other grows to knock out the competition.

The war on home grower is next on the agenda.
They will soon argue, it is everywhere there is no need to grow you own any longer.
They will not care what you prefer, you will get coke or pepsi.
You will see with time, I have been spewing this kinda shit since before 2012.
It is a slow gradual change over.

Something I never thought would happen is…
Folks round here all prefer the store bought weed.
It is all crap, with non cannabis terps added.
Tastless buzzless weed.

Folks look at me like I am too good for them, I refuse to smoke some of that shit.
I can taste the added terps instantly.
Yea, I am real familiar with them, I had the free sampler kit when they first came out.
I gave them away, horrible shit.
Enough rant about store-bought weed. :upside_down_face:

Also
While there is no risk to grow, if you sell it you are a criminal and will be fined and jailed for it.
So don’t quit your your day job just yet. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

These are my views, you are entitled to yours, same as me.
I don’t mean to push my views on you, we seem to want the same end result.

Free the weed!

Peace
Shag

I just try not to put my claw in my mouth :wink:.

@shag

:four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover:

1 Like

Does anyone know how many cannabis patents are currently valid?

1 Like

I’ve read that there’s “over 10,000” cannabis patents

“Although sales and use of cannabis are illegal at the federal level, patent protection for cannabis-related inventions is permitted. Over 11,000 cannabis-related patents have been issued by the US Patent Office with over a 1000 having been issued in 2020 alone.”

From cannabispatents.us

“Cannabis related inventions” sound like a rather large field hah.
Im not sure how many are directly related to cultivars and compounds…

I know the munchies is patented lol

1 Like

Wow, that is more than I expected.
When I brought this topic up many years ago, I was told this sorta thing could never happen.
No need to worry about this stuff shag, they are not coming for your stash… :thinking:
Folks said I worry too much, need to smoke more weed… :dizzy_face:

1 Like

Yes, I’ve read the patent application for 3bmt skunk smell thingy and it was scary… one phrase kept coming back… something to the effect of anything and everything cannabis, now and forever, methods, chemicals, belongs to us :neutral_face:

1 Like

What is that, may I ask?
do ya have a link?
I am very interested, if you have any more info to share, it would be appreciated.
Thanks
Shag

You’ve reached the maximum number of likes. Please wait 5 hours before trying again.

1 Like