Pre-98 BUBBA and my search for youth

Thank you @AZsensi
A look at Bazooka Boss…
3rd week of flower.

13 Likes

I had a cut of Matt’s pre-98 for 15-16 years, has been a staple in my life and the reason for my obsession with Cannabis my mentor and I are doing a 35 plant hunt of @Bobgrows P98Bubs right now (15 in my tent) (20 in his) looking to obtain that bubba goodness we once held.

26 Likes

Now I’m interested ! :+1:good luck with the hunt
I like in when someone can search through 40 plus plants for a winner
I hope you post the process

6 Likes

How would you describe what it is you’re looking for in a keeper? Pretty soon I’ll be popping some of those myself, and I don’t even know what I personally value in a plant so I’m curious! I just go “I like this one” and never have a great justification until later on.

5 Likes

Hope you find that coffee / kushy goodness! :yum:

6 Likes

I miss that coffee/kush smell and flavor so much. It’s all I was smoking 15 years ago but haven’t seen or had anything close to it since then

7 Likes

Everything now a days I consider a diet kush haha

5 Likes

yea that smell and taste is like a comfort food to me

5 Likes

Hope you find what your searching for. Heres a pic of the matt berger cut thats still floatin around.

Shes got a pretty distinct look.

22 Likes

That looks beautiful, I’m currently doing a kush run with a few different kush strains. Plan to make some seeds if I find a solid male out of the bunch. I have pre’98 bubba, og kush, alien og, dream coat x Pakistani Chitral Kush, black lime x Pakistani Chitral Kush

So hopefully find that profile I’m looking for in there

7 Likes

:drooling_face: Many years with her in our stable, sad we ever lost her. Hoping I find something similar or perhaps improved.

4 Likes

@parttime everyone is different depending on their grow style/needs etc. but I personally look for girls with thick, strong stalks,
-great node placement and stacking,
-vigour (to an extent)
-response to LST/HST

• terps, terps did I mention TERPS :drooling_face:
    With bubba you will find a hashy/kushy coffee deliciousness with a slight chocolate background all capped off by true DANK and an abundance of “GREASY” trichomes that are oily and unique :drooling_face:
    -I stress them a bit and check how they handle it in many ways, heat, light , watering etc.
    I’m also a huge fan of HUGE leaves and bubba can get some big ass bulbous leaves.
    And buzz- bubba should be true medicine for pain, anxiety. A true indica dick in the dirt day wrecker at 26-30% amber.
8 Likes

Thank you for the well wishes! Anyone wanting to check it out TopShelfs trees here you go. I will try and remember to post my results here @Papalag but feel free to keep an eye on my thread as well. Much love and respect to all off you. If I find the right pair I may just make some beans for myself to ensure I never lose her again.

6 Likes

When you find what you’re looking for

4f7420f3-1646-47e2-9a0f-ea9a28f7ee1f_text

9 Likes

Most definitely brother! I’ve got you 100% thanks for the laugh as well :joy:

2 Likes

Love me some BLR, hoping to grab that BLBubba one day from katsu as well as I’m a bit bubba obsessed and I happen to hold Katsu in high regard

3 Likes

I have Matt Bergers pre-pre-98 Bubba, three Katsu Bubba phenos, some csi gushin '98 phenos and csi bubba s1’s as well as “the ox” from rare dankness. Needless to say, I absolutely love all kushes and bubba kush is one of my favorite daily smokes.

13 Likes

Heck yeah, thanks so much for the breakdown! Makes perfect sense.

I’ve heard bubba has those cool earthy terps, but I’ve never tried it before. And I’m trying to find keepers of some asskicker to have on hand for sleep and pain! Super excited to get that going.

2 Likes

Any thing in particular you can comment about the CSI Bubba s1’s? I got a 3 pack freebie and I’m wondering if its all that…

Inbreeding expresses a lot of hidden traits and does not reproduce the selfed plant. CSI grows out hundreds of S1’s at a time and only finds one or two keepers he backcrosses to if that sheds any light on the difficulty of reproducing a heterozygous plant through feminization. I think you will find a tasty treat that can have a trait or two similar to the Bubba but you can’t reproduce an exact plant by selfing it… selfing brings out hidden traits of the ancestral genes so it is kind of a crap shoot tbh… loompa made tons of s1 seeds from his headband and nothing he has found has come close to the strength of his original cut. I am one who believes you need the original breeding parents to replicate a particular pheno; The heirloom strains that have emerged from the sands of time were mostly one-off keepers from 20,000 seed grows with only chemdog having been found in only a few original seeds so yeah, I think the s1’s give a broad spectrum of phenos and finding the original Bubba will be impossible but you will still find some tasty kush plants

14 Likes