Preservation seed run with afghan genetics

G13HP88?? All these crazy digits and numbers. Above my pay scale.

3 Likes

I think the discontinued deep line alchemy strains would be great to preserve for the community, but it would be a different project entirely than a pure afghani landrace preservation run.

As far as a pure afghani preservation project goes, I’d agree these don’t fit that bill.

I might pop my sensi seeds maple leaf indica (which @OleReynard mentioned earlier) for my next grow cycle. If I go with that plan, I’ll make some seeds and give them to someone here for a community preservation run to expand the maple leaf and share with the whole community.

11 Likes

@Comacus also curious. I have some Bodhi China Dali Cangshan Mountain sativa that I failed to germ correctly earlier this year.
I’ll be trying again in spring. %90 certain it’s my fault, because I tried a germ method recommended by an old gatherer/ collector for seeds collected in asia and the himalayas. It involves multiple wet dry cycles, and I am now certain this wasn’t necessary because these seeds were bodhi’s reproduction.

Should have just given them normal germination techniques same as any seed from a professional breeder.

6 Likes

Yeah, and has some nice indy looking leaves to start. I know it is really early but anxious to see what this one holds!

9 Likes

As you mentioned since they were a Bodhi reproduction/preservation, I think they will work just fine with normal techniques. If they are known for having really hard shells might scuff them a bit in a pill bottle with sandpaper for a few minutes before your normal technique.

3 Likes

I’m starting those maple leaf indicas for my next cycle. I probably won’t be able to tackle all the work for a community preservation myself, so instead I will make seeds and give some to a member here to expand the line for the whole community.
And just so everyone knows it’s legit…

28 Likes

Nice, I still had the original on them ak47 's I found all the cherry in.
You need help with that Zephyr I’m getting ready to kick it in gear.

7 Likes

Not for nothing, I ran all those AK you sent me, the F2s and the F3s, and didn’t find a single plant that resembled cherry.
Think of the statistics. You hit a 1 in 1000 shot, not just once, but you pulled three cherry AK out of a dozen seeds?

If we want something to be true enough, we’ll trick ourselves into believing it against all evidence to the contrary.

1 Like

Strange everybody else found it, Jet found 2 out of 5.
And Growhard found it.

2 Likes

I certainly hope I find it, sounds tasty…

1 Like

I haven’t found cherry yet, but I did find that skunky one. So I’m pretty sure it’s in there

4 Likes

I’m waiting til Dec to pop mine out, guaranteed coloring with it getting colder around end of January and February.

2 Likes

Yeah, Jet’s a good dude. Nice, to a fault.

I had been talking to growhard about his AK tho, because he was running it at the same time as I was.
Plus you can search “ @GrowHard cherry” and all of his posts with the word will show up. There’s only 9, and the one where he said cherry stem rub he also explicitly said he needs to wait till it’s done to say for sure.

Sorry for raining on your parade. I’m not saying the cherry is not there, but just that if it sounds too good to be true…

1 Like

He mentioned 9 times and then wasn’t around anymore.
If you ran them and didn’t find a cherry, with you I’m sure I would’ve heard about it long before now.
Aint raining on my parade.

2 Likes

I have never ran the cherry ak. But i can tell ya where I found a bunch of cherry goodness anf that was with Bodhis Cherry Queen. The mom i kept smells like sour cherry bubblegum.

10 Likes

you’ll like it

2 Likes

I guess maybe I’m not all the way tuned in with the goal here. My impression was that the goal was to preserve Afghan genetics, and there has been a lot of talk of running gear from worked lines like NL and such. I just threw out those DLA suggestions because it was a raw afghani crossed with a worked afghani x g13 (which to my understanding is also believed to be afghani). If it doesn’t fit the goals of the project that’s alright, I just figured I’d share my line of thinking.

15 Likes

Your goals are as welcome as anyone else’s!

Pay no attention to me. I am not even preserving Afghan genetics. I just watch this thread 'cause it’s where the smart people hang out.

14 Likes

Inside information?

I realize that I am ignorant here, never having grown it or the HP cross. I have grown Ghash crosses but don’t see commonality.

I plan a deeper study.

7 Likes

Right you are…I scored some f2 DLA8 from dyad. The DLA8 is the pure Afghan x 88g13hp…I tried to order from jbcseeds, but he was sold out…but I did grab dla11 which is vintage pakistani x 88g13hp.

7 Likes