Puzzling Strain Name

I’m curious about the genetics of some seeds I have. It looks like they bred a skunk #1 to another skunk #1 and called that “shit”, it was then crossed to “the dude”, and named the strain “good shit”.
How can you cross a skunk x skunk and give it a new name? Wouldn’t it also just be skunk #1? Thanks guys, just trying to wrap my head around it.

8 Likes

It is confusing but it’s all just made up slang. “This papa smurf X cookie waffles is on fleek!

I’m more likely to say “untested cross #3

9 Likes

Thanks @Foreigner
I guess it’s like the uncharted wild west. Anything goes…

1 Like

Feel free to add an “OG” if you feel like it too!

:rofl:

It’s quite silly.

9 Likes

I’ll grow 'em and hope they end up being really “good shit”!

2 Likes

When you said “The Dude” it just makes me think of one of subcool’s male plants. That’s what he called it.

I’m sure there’s no relation. I can’t remember what his was though… I think a Space Queen.

In regards to names, honestly I think anything goes. Some phenotypes of strains have become their own strains altogether i.e. Cheese. So just go with the flow, and if it’s truly “Good Shit” then I’m sure you’ll be happy.

2 Likes

From the chart I have, looks like the dude is AK47 x white widow.
These are phoenix seeds I won in a contest.

2 Likes

For a long time now I have hoped for a future in which cannabis “breeders” would more closely emulate their non cannabis plant breeding brethren.
Probably not going to happen in my lifetime,

5 Likes

Yes it was Space Queen and he called it Space Dude. RIP Subcool, he was as much an artist as a breeder.

To the OP, thats the beauty of making another cross, you get to call it whatever you want. There really is no standard naming convention. Thats how we get weird names like Good Shit, Green Crack, Zkittles, etc…

5 Likes

Er, except that the article seems to be about how different plants in the same family are scientifically named, like as they point out, plants within the carrot family, but following the article’s logic Cannabis Sativa “The Dude” would be a-ok but we’d still in the same spot with made up varietal names that don’t tell you very much.

2 Likes

Yes, however my main point was the lack of any universal standard nomenclature use within the cannabis breeding community. There is a woeful lack of precision, and it is generally sloppy and many times not reliable.

I have also wished (particularly with the advent of legal weed) we would see more stable and homogenous plants produced by ganja breeders. Like those produced by a pack of Burpee jalapeno pepper plants or tomatoes or zinnias.

8 Likes

Thats another thing that drives me crazy… I’ll cross Banana Kush with Strawberry Cough and call it Strawberry Banana. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

dude, why wouldnt you call it unicorn poop with sprinkles? LOL

2 Likes

Orange you glad I didn’t say banana again?

:joy:

4 Likes

I thought Kush Cough would have been the logical choice. Boy, I was way off.

4 Likes

"shit is from Mr Nice it is skunk#1 as far as i recall :smiley:

4 Likes

You could always make some female pollen and bred it back to the plant,that’s when it starts to get interesting

1 Like

Prohibition and then this weird form of legalization don’t really help. No one wants to move away from Indica and Sativa as they’re established commercial buzzwords.

On the other hand, we will definitely start seeing more stable/homogenous plants bred to satisfy large scale commercial production. Whether that’s a good thing, debatable.

1 Like

I mean, you can name your F2s whatever you want. Is it kosher? Probably not. But who is gonna stop them?

It seams like they just named a Pheno of skunk 1. It should still be called skunk 1 with shit Pheno added on the end. That is 100% taking credit for someone else’s work.

Edit: unless it’s their skunk #1 they made

2 Likes