Question for the experts (aka. I don't want to mess this up now)

Day 54 of flower. Plants are getting thick and heavy, and leaning a little. Fan leaves are yellowing. Everything seems to be right for harvest this weekend. Today I was surprised that they are still yearning for water. I just watered them two days ago. Typically they have been going three days plus before the soil gets this dry.

Am I just being paranoid, because I thought they should stop taking up water as fast when they are getting ready for harvest? This is only my third grow so I am still learning. Much more to learn! First two grows had different situations. First one I had to cut short due to high humidity and mold. Second one was just on a timer. 56 days and chop, chop. This time everything has been textbook, but I am puzzled.

Please help me ditch the paranoia, or learn that they might need something else.

Thanks again for your help and imparting your wealth of knowledge.

17 Likes

She looks amazing and just as she should… some slow uptake down, some dont… it’s all in the plant and what it want…

Quit being paranoid. All is well

10 Likes

It looks pretty good to me especially if it’s coming down in a few days.

7 Likes

Thanks @toastyjakes & @Undead-Toker. I’m relieved!

Just stuck the bamboo shoots in today so they wouldn’t fall over. I’m pretty stoked now. As long as I can keep that humidity down. this harvest should rock.

Can you say Trim Jail?

6 Likes

If the stems can’t hold the weight of the cola your definitely doing something right :+1:

14 Likes

Just make sure that when you chop, you keep humidity down under 70%, have a circulating fan keeping the air moving, and some extraction.

3 Likes

I would say she is telling you she wants another week. As long as she is taking up water, she will keep bulking up those buds.

I still see some wispy buds with white pistils, have you looked at the trichomes with a loop yet?

4 Likes

@MicroDoser, fortunately for me, at this time of year the humidity has typically been low. It jumped up to 55% recently due to warmer than normal weather combined with some precipitation but I have a trusty 70 quart dehumidifier that works pretty well at keeping the humidity around 50% or lower. It has been below 40% until recently.

@ReikoX, the trichomes are getting cloudier by the day. last check was three days ago. Couldn’t get home before lights out the last couple days but will definitely be able to check again tonight. My understanding, based on my limited knowledge, is that they will start getting some amber in the bulbs at the tips when they are ready. Will find out in a few hours. I have been basing my info on a 56 day flower cycle, but I know that can vary. Still glomming onto any knowledge I can get. Always learning something new from you all.

7 Likes

Not seeing any amber trichomes there, but they should start showing up in the next few days. Some people chop with just a few amber trichs and some wait until almost all turn its a preference thing.

I used to cut when I saw maybe 5-10% amber, but I’ve been leaving them longer (more like 30+ percent) and have noticed an increase in potency.

5 Likes

Good info @beacher. I haven’t had a grow that reached the amber stage yet, so that is kind of what I am aiming for. I’ll know more tonight when i get another look at them. Thanks!

2 Likes

Here are this evenings findings on the girls. I’m running two temp/humidity loggers, one at about 9 inches off the floor and one at about 6 ft. high. Humidity is higher down low. Temp range today was 68.72-73.92 degrees, Average 72.75. Some trich’s starting to show a little amber but mostly cloudy. They sure do look pretty. See below:

SkyDog

14 Likes

Best advice I have ever gotten is, if you think it’s done, wait a week.

15 Likes

Uncharted territory for this amateur! I’m game.

Going to keep a close eye on the humidity. That’s what bit me the first time. Will try to keep the high at 50% or below. Just reset my controller down to 45% so the mini dehumidifier in the tent kicks on at 50.with the 5% delay.

3 Likes

Here we are, Day 58 of flower. They smell SOOOO good! They are about ready to fall over with the weight of the buds. Do they look ripe yet?

Thanks,
SkyDog

9 Likes

I’m not seeing any amber and still a lot of clear trichomes. I’d say at least a week maybe even 2. Looks beautiful :heart_eyes:

8 Likes

I guess I’m going to have to stake them up. I suppose there could be worse things .Humidity is running between 33% and 39%. Does that seem to be in the correct range?

6 Likes

The humidity is perfect hence the amount of frost you have going on :+1: yoyo hangers are what I’d suggest you use instead of canes but she doesn’t have long to go so even if the canes damage the root zone it won’t matter too much. :+1:

5 Likes

Good idea on the hangers. I have two extra sets of light hangers I can fashion something out of. That will give me some experience for the next plants following these into the tent.

4 Likes

Just looked up those yo yo’s you mentioned. Will def buy some. Cheapest accessory I’ve seen in a long time.

4 Likes

Yeah they are great. They adjust themselves as the plants grow. The daft thing is i don’t own any myself yet and have to tie my colas up with plant wire :laughing: I’ll buy a couple of packs soon though :+1:

3 Likes