Quick question about Mag Sulfate

@lefthandseeds. I forgot to tag you in my reply yesterday. Please take a look at my last post when you get a chance, and see if that ratio is correct. Thanks in advance.

Itā€™s impossible to understand your chemistry. If you havenā€™t got the answer you was looking for please report nutrients correctly, all of them, the method you grow and a reason for editing nutrients. last one first please.

Are you speaking to me? Not sure I understand the question. Which chemistry are you referring to? This was almost two years ago and my grasp of chemistry has improved very little since then. I never go above 75 elemental ppm of Mg nowadays though.

3 Likes

By saying your chemistry I meant the way you talk about everything related to chemistry.

You know what! reporting just one element concentration without at least one another is not much correct because of the importance of ratio between elemental concentrations. 75 ppm Mg compare to 100 ppm N is way too high Mg but compare to 250-300 ppm N is O.k.

If you got the the answers, fine. I just wannted to help if you havenā€™t got them yet.

If you wanted to help donā€™t come off like a know it all digging up 2 year old threads. Just offer it or, better yet post your findings for us to read over ourselves.

1 Like

Here is what Iā€™m running now in elemental ppm. DTW coco coir. 250 watt Cobb Cree led in a 3x3. Average temp/RH 84/63.

N-148
P-42
K-220
Ca-151
Mg-71
S-98
Fe-3.1

I donā€™t remember the rest of the micros off the top of my head. They are all insufficiency range but I am a little low on B and Mn. Feel free to critique away.

A question is a question. right now or many years ago, whatā€™s the difference?

Data you have reported are wrong. I canā€™t offer the answer you want using them without explaining unnecessary things.

You already have high Mg and you still want to go higher?

No. After much trial and error, this is the elemental ppm that doesnā€™t cause deficiencies or antagonization.

Check out my diary Iā€™ve posted a minute ago and compare our ratios yourself. You batter change your mind a bit.

1 Like

Whatā€™s the threads name? I canā€™t find it.

1 Like

Iā€™ll read through it when I get a chance but just from glancing at it, those values seem much lower than the values recommended to me by a few grower/processors I speak with. Howā€™s the flavor on your finished product?

flavor? I can say it will satisfy many if not all.

1 Like

I just donā€™t understand the 1:1 Ca:N ratio. I was always taught that Ca should be higher N. Also the almost 1:1 K:N ratio. I was also taught that the ratio should be closer to 1.5:1 K:N. The 1:1 ratio causes to much luxurious growth. I only start getting 7 pronged leaves after I increase my K:N ratio to about 1.4:1.

I assume your mixing raw salts correct?

Because this concentrations are better for flowering let me tell the concentrations I use for flowering

N 147 mg/l
P 39 mg/l
K 165 mg/l
Ca 140 mg/l
Mg 30 mg/l
S 40 mg/l

your K is about 25% more than mine and your S, Mg are as twice as mine.

Iā€™m just confused by the almost 1:1:1, N:K:Ca ratio. It goes against everything I was taught over the last year or so. Not knocking your mix or anything. Iā€™ll try your numbers and see how they work for me. You check your brix levels at all?

We grew in coco and coco has relatively high Cation Exchange Capacity. One thing we better know is that we can double an element concentration or reduce it in half and still have a good result just like me and you which we donā€™t eat the same but we are relatively healthy.

N/K ratio of 1:1 is good but 4:3 helps calcium uptake and 3/4 helps N uptake and pH stability.

Because coco has relatively high CEC with low calcium in exchange sites and because of calcium ions have +2e charge we take Ca/N higher than hydro

Exactly why my Ca is higher than my N.

1 Like