ReikoX's Workshop 2021

I never found that chart very useful. There is far too little information. Rarely do the pictures line up with the symptoms. :man_shrugging:

9 Likes

Whenever Iā€™ve experienced problems itā€™s usually related to pH, the water is very alkaline where Iā€™m at. I never seem to have problems with micronutrients, just macro with it usually being Nitrogen. Yellowing of bottom leaves, which leads to death of the leaf. It starts at the bottom of the plant, gradually progressing upward.

The chart certainly could be updated. There also needs to be a chart for pathogen diseases, as well as prevention and cures. They could also add over and underwatering symptoms, as well as heat and cold stress visuals.

4 Likes

Check out that paper I linked, its a pretty well written paper with some images of actual plants.

The author is also on the KIS podcast #59, Iā€™m listening to it now.

9 Likes

Doesnā€™t TM7 have iron in it? I always forget what the seven micronutrients are, except copper and boron. Iā€™m not saying start dumping a bunch of shit into your soil, but stillā€¦

1 Like

Yes it does, and I gave them some about four weeks ago. It is also in my basalt rock dust, so there is no doubt it is in there. That being said, iron locks out at about pH 6.5 and the potassium silicate Iā€™m using makes my pH skyrocket up over 8.0. Next round I will likely drop the potassium silicate and add a fish product I recently heard about that is high in diatomes.

This is the product Iā€™m going to tryā€¦

7 Likes

Hi, listening to it too, and learningā€¦ Thanks @ReikoX !!

1 Like

So Paul started growing hemp as a jokeā€¦ good KIS podcast, Thank you.
ā€œScience is a very additive proses, the more experiments you do in a specific direction or research question they begin to add up together to provide a whole picture.ā€ Scratch that previous good mark, this is actually a great podcast!

3 Likes

Most of the KIS podcasts are that informative! And no video to distract me from my actual job. :grin:

5 Likes

shifty eyes You ever ph test the soil?

2 Likes

Nope, the microbes are supposed to do that for meā€¦ :eyes:

4 Likes

he hheh color me curious. Iā€™m testing the blueberries right now. Seems one of the rows is up to 5.8ā€¦yikes. I wish those microbes would keep it at 4.5 or at least 5.0, lazy beasts.

2 Likes

I had the same trouble @ReikoX,
pH went through the roof 9+
So I dumped that batch in my basil plant, cause Iā€™m a sadistic bastard and wanted to see what would happen,
Basil went black and leaf less within 2 weeks :laughing:
I balance the potassium silicate with humic/fulvic acid now to balance the pH closer to 7.
This is the first time Iā€™ve used my pH meter, I guess it does come in handy for more than a paperweightā€¦

Edit: Once they have been calibrated.

11 Likes

Sounds like you nailed the Iron problem @ReikoX. Here are a couple more pics of pH-related iron deficiency. Hat tip to Nebula Haze & Sirius Fourside at GWE.

17 Likes

@ReikoX

Iā€™ve been contemplating this, and I figured I would ask you. You are fairly knowledgeable in these things, so I wanted to get your opinion.

Iā€™ve been tearing through the sip thread on Riu, and Iā€™ve learned quite a bit. I would like to outfit our 5x5 with sips. I use coots mix. Iā€™m looking at either the garden patch grow box or octopots. The garden patch should hold a good bit more soil. Any other advantages or disadvantages you know to either?

Iā€™ll use ro water and a California Lightworks 1100.

4 Likes

Is it Friday again already???
Holy Crap! Times just goes away quick. I guess when youā€™re retired every day is Saturday!! And I like it!!!

4 Likes

Ive never used the octopots, though they seem quite popular with the folks who do use them. I have used earthboxes (similar to the garden patch) for my veggies with success. With a water only soil, the larger the volume the better IMO.

4 Likes

Iā€™m actually using grow bags this year for peppers and tomatoes. Looking nice so far!

3 Likes

Thatā€™s a great light I use the 500 I may just get another

3 Likes

Thatā€™s the way to go just my Humble opinion

2 Likes

200 (4)

5 Likes