ReikoX's Workshop 2022

@CanuckistanPete are there any sources of light that could be interfering with the dark hours? If the plants are in the backyard, make sure you have blackout curtains on your back windows.

Preflowering should be just getting started over the next couple weeks. We drop a whole hour daylight from now until end of August.

10 Likes

It happens. I had some almost 4 weeks into flip no signs at all.

4 Likes

This is my 4th year in the backyard. I’ve grown different strains every year but they’ve always finished by Oct 10.

6 Likes

I’ll put some pics up shortly.

2 Likes

Sorry about your plants not flowering, but it seems out of place in my workshop thread. Are they seeds you got from me?

10 Likes

Sunrise is about 615…sunset about 830 right now.

Big Bud Kryptonite from @THCeed (this was started later after my Gods Timewarp died, so I’m not concerned)

The Church

Purple Punch

Sweet Zombie

20220810_170905|500x500

Buddhas Cane

Afghani Hash Plant

Green Gelato

14 Likes

Sorry about that Reiko…I’ll take them down

1 Like

No need to remove posts, just thought you may have accidentally replied in the wrong thread. I know I’ve done it many times.

10 Likes

Ya, I didn’t even realize what thread we were in. I’ll take this elsewhere…thanks.

5 Likes

So I got a comment from another grower about my plants.

This comment has been settling in my brain for a bit. My knee jerk reaction was to think, no it isnt. But the fact is, the only nitrogen source I’ve amended with is earth worm castings and bubble hash scraps.

Im always up for more research. And the nitrogen comment prompted me to do just that.

The “recipes” I’ve been following suggest 50-150 PPM of nitrogen, but suggests subtracting from that 7.5-12.5 PPM for each 1% of organic matter. Sitting at about 40% organic matter I thought I was set on nitrogen.

Upon some further research, I noticed my soil test only has about 20 PPM of nitrogen and said it had an estimated 65 PPM of nitrogen release from organic matter.

Looking into the calculations they note that anything over 20% won’t release in a season. This leaves me with a defecit of 85 PPM nitrogen, not an excess of 150-500 PPM like i thought.

35 Likes

That’s the nice thing about this forum. Someone may not even know they have a problem but another member spots something to address. Usually in a friendly, helpful manner.

17 Likes

:thinking: I wonder what the nitrogen and manganese levels will be like at the end of this grow. Will you be soil testing again or just amending it?

8 Likes

I am just south of you and most of mine are just starting to show signs of flowering. We still have a solid 2 months of growing left, so lots of time left to get worried.

7 Likes

Yes, I will continue testing.

I expect Mn levels to increase slightly, but still be deficient. I am expecting to be able to bring them up to where they belong next amendment cycle. Last cycle I added the max recommended, but that still wasn’t enough to get it all the way up.

The N levels are always in flux and difficult to get an accurate number on the tests. I will, however, be capping my N contribution from organic matter to 65 PPM, which would mean I need to add 85 PPM of a nitrogen source.

12 Likes

I actually thought that was one reason to use worm castings. They balance out that N fluctuation. Was I wrong?

6 Likes

Not sure about that one, but what I mean is N is constantly moving from the soil to microbes to the plant and back. The N value on the M3 test is only a snapshot of that point in time.

14 Likes

I have to ask do you think the organic growing is producing a superior end product or are you just doing it for the convenience of being able to water only or another reason? I realize its a very opinionated topic I just would like to hear yours :sweat_smile:

10 Likes

i see organic growing as incredibly harder to do right, its analog adjusting the soil thru multiple grows and testing the soil to get where you want it to be - just to realize you need more calcium yet :rofl:

but it does sound rewarding (and it surely develops many skills)

Im curious to know too. so second the question.

8 Likes

My opinion is that most organic growers are essentially winging it and not reaching their full potential so to speak. So when I see one that’s getting lab tests and not winging it I value the opinion more :shushing_face:

14 Likes

Nice! I look forward to seeing the results when you get it done again. Really interesting being able to see the numbers and what’s really going on down there.

Do you think it (Mn def) could’ve attributed to the symptoms of the 2 beds on the left this grow?
Sorta reminds me of last year, plants looked similar, with yield affected.
Is there a caveat to going over the max recommendation? Like too much of one thing equaling deficiency in another?

7 Likes