ReikoX's Workshop Rebuild 2020

Had a couple of hours to work on the workshop Saturday afternoon. I didnt get a whole lot done, but I did foam in the rough opening of the doors. My dad suggested I shim the door so it doesnt now and get stuck. Worked out great.

25 Likes

should have worked on the workshop last night. Instead, I went crazy with the rosin press. Good thing @Baltimore doesn’t live close by, he would be dropping bags on my doorstep.

31 Likes

Hey Reiko any advice on a diy rosin press? I’ve never liked paying for something I can build myself plus I’m a cheap bastard lol been looking at the nug smasher but I don’t like their prices for what the machine is. Where can I source plates? The press part would be easy I have bottle jacks and even an air powered hyd pump that powers various size extension and pull back rams. Hell I could make the plates vertical so the rosin drops into a collection vessel or do you think that would be cumbersome?

4 Likes

Seeing people press, that part always looks messy to me. You would think people tried vertical and has some issue with it, or maybe its a hole in the market… Side Smasher TM.

3 Likes

Lucky sumn gun.:grin:. Yeah id be outa control. That rosin is so good I couldn’t grasp the fact that Reiko has it down. The flavors were so rich. You lose nothing. Thats why I love bubble as well.

Thats pure medicine honestly its some of the best smoke hands down. I’ll have one when it see fit. I live vicariously through Mr Suave. He a smooth one thats for sure.

5 Likes

I made mine four years ago for about $300 USD, lets’s see what it would cost me today… Looks like it would cost me right around $200 to build it today.

I started with a 6 ton shop press at harbor freight for $65 (don’t forget your 20% off coupon).
https://www.harborfreight.com/6-ton-a-frame-bench-shop-press-1666.html

I got two 1" x 2.5" x 2.5" pieces of aluminum locally for $15 cut. This is 1" x 2.5" 6601 aluminum bar stock cut to 2.5".
https://ecommerce.metalsupermarkets.com/Material.aspx?ProductId=AF6061/1212

Each plate has two cartridge heaters in it, so a total of four for $35. The holes were drilled in the side of the plates to accommodate them, as well as a third hole for the thermal probe that came withe PID controller.

I called in a favor from a friend to weld a piece of pipe to a square piece of steel. I then threaded three screw holes in the pipe to hold it to the press pin. The top plate had four holes drilled and tapped to hold this piece on to the top plate. You could probably make due with a pipe flange for $6.

The bottom plate just sits on the arbor plate that came with the press.

Finally the cartridge heaters were controlled with a PID controller with a solid state relay two of these for a total of $80.

Of course I threw this all in a project box with a cord receptacle and a couple of switches to make it look more professional. For about $20 more.

46 Likes

:sunglasses: cool, I like that :+1:

3 Likes

Awesome post sir. Thank you

4 Likes

Thank you for this! Seen a lot of mention of diy presses, nice to have a thorough guide.

5 Likes

Nice setup man

3 Likes

Tonight I spent some more time working on the doors. I went to the hardware store looking for something to use for the frame. I ended up finding some PVC molding that was the perfect measurements. Nice and light weight too. So I started with making a template out of cardboard.

Next I used the template to trace the hole onto the back of the door. I used a sharp utility knife to cut out the hole. There was some cardboard in there foe support, I cut that away too. Finally I got the frame fit inside the door. I got tired and stopped there.

I plan to tape the frame into place, flip the door around, and sample the frame together from the other side. Then I’ll flip it over again and cut the hole out.

23 Likes

Nice find on the PVC, what is it normally used for, it should make the job look nice and neat as well as giving support.

3 Likes

Dude thank you so much. I was reading some threads on it but was confusing myself trying to read stoned as hell lol. Make it easy on an old guy. Again thank you

Just one more question, could I use steel for the plates? I’ve got access to plate up to 2" thick. Granted all the drilling world be harder

4 Likes

It will take a lot longer for the steel to heat up compared to the aluminium.

3 Likes

Yeah, pretty much all plates are made of aluminum for heat conductivity reasons. I’m sure if you look local you can find a metal shop with some aluminum.

8 Likes

That’s the beez kneez right there. That’s the next step towards solventless medicine for me. Super clean bro. Clean meds as well.:+1:t2::blush:

4 Likes

thanks for the info - i saw greengenes garden with a DIY as well.

I already have the 10 ton jack - GG also have a YT vid putting it together - he pimps the Pacific Lights Co as he works\own them.

I have a bead on the bubblegum strain from the Indiana cut.
I am looking for killer hash pheno - I have a few Bodhi DLA 11 to run.

4 Likes

Yeah I remember greengenes from grow tube.

3 Likes

looking great all of it sir and I miss the olden days of growtube R.I.P. Subcool

5 Likes

Yeah mosca has decent bubblegum but bog has that gum. I smoked some mac n dla it was fuckin intense. I love bodhi gear. Period. I cant wait to run this Hollyweed.

Ill whip ends in the bags until my fuckin father makes me one(yeah right). He sits in a fuckin machine shop all day. Here some specs and parts. Go ahead and put that together. Black out anything that mentions grass like a black ops file. He’d shoot me. :astonished::dagger::laughing:

6 Likes