ReikoX's Workshop

There is number six :grin:

Here is a shot of the whole bed. Number 1 is damping off I think. I helped it with the shell and it has stalled since then. You can see the six spots I have cut out the clover. I have a few fungus gnats that came along with my new soil mix (no surprise really) I will keep monitoring right now, Iā€™m only catching one or two a day on the yellow trap. No more thrips in my grow room though, thank The Maker!

I got some testers of Afropips Durban Poison Reproduction from ICMag. I fell in love with the mother of these seeds a while back. When I had heard they were looking for testers for some F2s, I jumped all over that. I have been waiting on these to get to me for a while. Hope for some purple rosin next year!

With the issue I had with my Bubbleman penā€™s tank due to, ultimately, dirty rosin. I decided I absolutely needed some filtration. I ordered some 2.25"x4" Sasquash bags . Iā€™m hoping they arenā€™t too big as I actually have a 2.5x2.5" press. I was watching rosin videos pressing flower with bags. Then I stumbled on a video about folding paper for ā€œdirectional flowā€. Ultimately I went with the methods used by Elysian Research. I had everything they were using. Not much changed with the way I cut the filters and wrap them, I got that part right. The only difference really was wrapping the puck in oil slick paper like a gift but leaving the last side open (watch the videos on YouTube if you really want to know the details). Another difference is I used 2x the amount of bud as I normally would (4 grams) based off the comment that they use 2 grams per square inch. By my calculations, thatā€™s 4.5 grams for my 1.5"x1.5" pre-press. Here is my first attempt. I think it could be a little lighter but was only pressed at 90Ā°C, next time I will try 85Ā°C . Other than that itā€™s a nice pull and snap texture, and yield was around 20%. Previous attempts with the filter were as low as 5-8%. Collection was a breeze with the directional flow, thatā€™s the huge difference.

15 Likes

Well, itā€™s getting about time to pull down the mainlined Jilly Bean girls. The mainlining technique worked ok, but really isnā€™t suitable to vertical growing. They are at nine weeks, and probably a bit early, but I like to take at nine weeks the first time I grow a cultivar. The trichomes are mostly cloudy with a few clear on both plants, and both plants are frosty as fuck. Iā€™m fairly certain that Jilly Bean 2 is going to be the keeper, she has the scent of tangerines. The structure is fairly uniform with Jilly Bean 4 being a bit more stout. Yield should be similar on both plants. The real winner will be seen once I press some rosin and smoke it :grin:

Jilly Bean 2

Jilly Bean 4

22 Likes

drop the bubble pen get a megatoke xl

Never heard of that one. If I went back to anything it would be my Hercules oil cartridge. That being said, I have more thoughts so here we have:

Bubbleman Pen Chronicles Volume VI

My Blue River terpenes arrived. So I got a gram of Zak Haze rosin and put it in a small glass container. I added five drops of the Cheese Quake terpenes and started to stir it with a clean dab tool. Once it was liquid, I put it in the syringe. Now here is where I messed up, I put it in the tank that I thought I fixed. I was wrong, the tank did the same exact thing. Suck and suck and no hit, so I put the rest in the good tank. The good tank hits like a freight train and tastes great. If both tanks worked like this I would have been very happy.

I should have enough terpenes to do one more gram. I am waiting for my Jilly Bean to dry so I can press some. Jilly Bean rosin with Cheese Quake terps would be a weed nerdgasm. Iā€™m hoping that the availability of terps goes up once the summer crops get harvested :wink:

8 Likes

https://megatoke.com/wp-content/cache/all//index.html

1 Like

Thats a pretty big price tag there, $300 for the pen, battery, and bubbler. I could buy three Bubbleman pens for that :grin: Maybe when I win that lottery I donā€™t play. I couldnā€™t put the terpene ā€œsauceā€ in it either. When used as intended, the pen kicks ass!

Do you own one? Do you use it for oils? How much will it hold? What do you like about it? Anything you donā€™t like? How does it compare to a nail? How is the taste?

2 Likes

im getting one my next pull as my me purchase an i cant lie its gonna feel good been pretty broke this last year getting all my shit together i have hit a megatoke just not the xl it holds quite a bit from what i seen taste good an the hit is outta here def the best pen ive tried

1 Like

an it comes with a herb an oil tank an mostly i like how it hits like a cannon im sick an tired of the dinky hits other pens seem to give you ive givin myself a headache trying to get a good hit from some pens

3 Likes

The Bubbleman pen Chronicles, Volume VII:

Finally got my True Terpenes VISCOSITY. They came with nice packaging and few stickers, though shipping took quite a while. So the first thing I did was put about 0.8 grams of Juanita la Lagrimosa rosin in a container. This stuff is very sappy at room temperature, so I figured it would work well in the pen. That and it tastes like flowers and honey.

Next I got the out the included dropper and added four drops to the 0.8 grams of rosin. The terpenes are colorless and odorless for sure. I didnā€™t put a drop on my tongue to taste it, maybe next time.

This mixture was stirred well for about 10 minutes until it stayed in a liquid form. I let it set for a few minutes and stirred it well again.

Then I loaded this up into the syringe I got with my Blue River terpenes. Iā€™m proud of myself for how cleanly I got the ā€œsauceā€ to get in the syringe.

Finally I filled up my new tank with the ā€œsauceā€. This was allowed to settle overnight. To be honest, I was nervous this morning when I went to take a hit that this new tank wouldnā€™t work. First hit, nothingā€¦ Crap! Second hit, wow thatā€™s not badā€¦ Third hit, hack coughā€¦ Too much! The color and smell did not change, but I think I can detect at slight bitter aftertaste similar to hops. Itā€™s better than the plastic taste of PG/PEG though. Iā€™ll be toking on this for the next couple of days to see what I think of the product, but I can say that it is as advertised so far.

6 Likes

Enough about the pen, letā€™s look at some plants!

These are the Zak Haze clones that I put in here on Saturday. They seem to be pretty happy, they are in my amended recycled organic living soil. Iā€™m kind of regretting giving a bag of it to my brother. Iā€™m still trying to work out how my perpetual is going to run. My original plan was for a nine week veg period. Iā€™m pretty sure after nine weeks of veg, there will be no room for stretching. So, think what I can do is keep them in the cup for the first three weeks, as planned, but put the cup in here.

These Bubba Kush S1s are really starting to piss me off. I have no idea whatā€™s going on with these. Even the clover seems a little stressed out. Iā€™m thinking it may be cal/mag deficiency now. I have been giving them RO water the last few waterings, so I gave them a bit of ferments (15 ml/gal of fish/gro). I will spray them this evening with some CalPhos to see if that helps. I will flower these out, just so I donā€™t have empty space in my flower cab, but the mother has been culled. Iā€™m sick of babying this cultivar.

After three or four weeks (I lost count) of spraying this Crystal Candy girl every day, I think I am finally starting to see some changes. You can start to see some clusters forming on the top bud, so I stopped spraying. I have been calling here Bruce. I also decided to spray one of the La Divas since I have four of them.

The rest of the autos are already starting to flower. I need to check the pH next time I feed, they look like they are getting either overwatered or the pH is out of whack. I have to remember that this is a sort of manual hydro type method so my pH is way more important with these small containers. Otherwise things are progressing nicely. The Lowryder, the only regular seed, is female. Iā€™m debating hitting her up with the Lowryder (male) pollen I have in the freezer.

15 Likes

Youā€™ve got quite the operation going on there. Those MD cups look like they are responding to your care. Crystal Candy looks cool with the huge fans so close to the cola. Cheers!

1 Like

Yesterday I was looking through my grow logs looking for a good picture of my veg area. I was zooming in and I noticed what I now know is thrip damage. So I started going back looking at pictures of my plants for thrip damage. Iā€™m not saying I got them from the Skywalker OG cuts, but I couldnā€™t see thrip damage before and did after. I found evidence of damage on my last CBD run in the main cab, my last auto run in the workbench, and the last Jilly Bean run. No wonder yields have been suffering. Thrips will never be an issue again, I know what the symptoms look like, and I know what kills them.

Last time I was looking at the autos in the PC, I was thinking that the pH was off. I decided to test the pH after I mixed up the nutrients. My pH pen read 7.0 which didnā€™t seem right to me. I lowered the pH to 6.1 and it took way more pH down that normal. Something isnā€™t right. So I take out my spare pen and it reads 5.1. Holy crap guess itā€™s not working right. I again adjusted the pH to 6.1 and then calibrated both to read 6.1. I decided to be on the safe side and used my pH drops just to check and it was back up to around 7. So this time I just adjusted it as close to 6 as I could with the drops. Now, thinking back on it, there are a few clues that the pH pen was out of calibration. First one was that I mixed up the Lucas formula and remembered it needed a tad pH up. But when mixing it for the party cup hempys, I was using pH down. Another clue was when I had that high PPM runoff from the Bubba Kush S1, the pH was 7.0. I thought it was odd to be so neutral with such a high pH. So I gave them proper pH water and a foliar of CalPhos, letā€™s see how they respond.

I was spraying the plants with CS and decided I would check my PPM on the solution. Hmmm 40 PPM starting with 20 PPM RO water. Iā€™m going to get some distilled and try to run it until I get 50 PPM. I still canā€™t tell if it is working on that Crystal Candy, but I think sheā€™s going to produce pollen sacks any day now. I have a La Diva I just started spraying, so Iā€™ll mix up a batch at 50 PPM and follow the directions correctly (not supposed to use RO water I guess).

I was going to try and trim my Jilly Bean plants that I cut down Saturday, but they were still a little too wet. They have been hanging for five days, and usually it only takes around 3 to dry here. It has been raining for the last three days so thatā€™s slowing things a bit. I decided to take the bottom popcorn buds off and press them. I got about 15% return which is pretty good considering how wet they were. The rosin is pretty tasty. Itā€™s a mix of both plants, so itā€™s a nice orange and tangerine mix, with a hint of green. I have debated just turning the whole thing into rosin. I would have to trim anything. Maybe Iā€™ll just trim the main bud on each stem and rosin the rest. :grin:

7 Likes

Well I trimmed up the two Jilly Bean plants. Probably a half ounce each. Not too bad considering they had thrips the whole time. The left plant, #4, had denser buds and more sugar leaf. It also had a more mellow orange smell. The right plant, #2, had more airy bud with less sugar leaf. The right plant also has the sweeter smell more like candied manderine oranges. They will go in a paper bag for a day or two before going in jars and burping. Iā€™ll probably combine the trim and do one big squish.

This is the Jilly Bean #2 clone that had the ā€œfascinationā€. It came out pretty dense.

This is the Jilly Bean #4 clone, not as dense as #2, but still might out yield the mainlined plant.

Here they are trimmed up ready to dry. The clones may outweigh the seed plants.

The party cup girls are coming down. The pictures speak for themself.

24 Likes

i missed a bunch but shits lookin tasty dude! idk how you do the ph manegmentXD

2 Likes

What what what! That thing is bonkers! The award for the strangest looking bud Iā€™ve ever seen goes to you, sir. I am astonished.

2 Likes

I normally donā€™t bother with pH. But with the hydro I was, errā€¦ I thought I was. :laughing: Normally I let the microbes take care of it.

1 Like

Yeah dude i used the go box once and that was too much measuring for mešŸ˜‚

1 Like

Speaking of measuring, I figured out what the deal with the Bubba Kush might have been. I think she is a calcium whore. I sprayed them with some CalPhos and they instantly greened up! It got me thinking, I have recycled this medium several times without adding any calcium other than the original limestone.

So I amended a cubic foot of my soil with:
1/2 cup each neem seed meal, shrimp meal, kelp meal, and malted barley. And 1 cup each of glacial rock dust, basalt dust, oyster shell flour, gypsu, and bio char.

The Zak Haze clones I put in the same mix are thriving on RO water.

5 Likes

I got a new tool to play around with in my garden. This is a Brix refractometer. They are used in beer and wine making to determine the sugar content. By reading the Brix value before and after fermentation the alcohol content can be determined. Now, Iā€™m not talking about brewing beer right now (though I could). I will be measuring the Brix of my plant sap. Higher Brix values usually indicate a healthy plant.

I saw this discussed in another thread by @Uncle_Al , but here is a bottle of General Organics CalMag+. The funny thing is, it says right on the bottle not for organic farming in California. Whew good thing Iā€™m in New Mexico! Seriously though, Iā€™m not above using a non-organic supplement when needed. I mixed up a hefty dose of CalMag+ along with some fish hydrolysate. They also got a foliar of CalPhos.

I have come to the conclusion that the BBK S1 is a heavy CalMag feeder. I have plenty of Mag in my fertilizer from the molasses I use, but calcium is not added. They look lots better (again) after the foliar. Event he clover greened up a bit. This batch of soil will be re-amended after this round.

In contrast, here are the Zak Haze clones I put in there just last week. Look how happy they are in my re-amended soil. There are several calcium sources as well as other minerals. I watered them with yucca today and the soil easily easily soaked up every drop I gave them. Happy Happy!

The Ancestral Skunk #1 are doing well. Sorry about the white balance not being right, I should get a lights off picture to show just how green everything is. Still a couple of fungus gnats, I think I will do another top dress with malted barley tonight. Four are doing well, the one in the middle is lagging. Iā€™m hoping for one girl on each side of the bed, but will take clones of everything just in case. I havenā€™t decided how I will train them. Usually I do a ScrOG, but that is with clones. I will likely top once or twice and let them go at it.

11 Likes

I have a brix scope too! What range is yourS?

1 Like