ROCKS! Any like rocks or gems?

Here’s the one that first got me interested. I was hunting and started noticing that the rocks up on the knobs is very different than what you see down in the valley where i live. It was all over the ridges. Very uninteresting in the grand scheme of things but gives clues of what was going on in very different times

3 Likes

This is a cool thread, thanks for posting.
My son is into gems, i think he’ll enjoy it too.

He found this at the beach, i told him it was a calcified dolphin turd, but I obviously have no idea what it is lol

3 Likes

:rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

I will wait until my deathbed to tell him the truth

3 Likes

It’s most likely metal Slag that was often used for the ballast of ships, I have found lots of stuff similar to that

5 Likes

Thats exactly what it looks like.

2 Likes

Nice little 2.5-3 inch plate I just cleaned up

5 Likes

Are there any drill attachments that will clean up rocks? Was going to buy a tumbler for my son but they look a little pricey

I section of 4 inch pipe, a cap for either end, a bolt and nuts to attach through center. Fill with rocks, ceramic or sand for polishing. Close the top, screw nut tight, and stick bolt end in the drill

3 Likes

Thats awesome thanks!

Here are a few of the bigger ones still in the process of cleaning and a few smaller cleaned ones.

7 Likes

Be careful, was watching a vid on cool rocks and stuff and how deadly some are to ignorant folks
Like me.
Some are radioactive, or contain compounds
That are dangerous.
There was something about even quartz
Anyway I love cool stones but now I eye them
More carefully.

1 Like

And that’s why my Trinitite stays in it’s case. :ok_hand:

:radioactive:

2 Likes

Stunning find! :eyes::sparkles:

1 Like

Both those are super cool… i have a weakness to fossilized/petrified pieces and i never seen fossilized turtle eggs , nice score… it reminds me of Birdseye rhyolite…

2 Likes

id kill for a pipe made out of gemstone, like amethyst or jade, bet the smoke is smooth

some minerals and gems have small pores that trap and have kind of a biosis with plant roots, but im just guessing

1 Like

Look what we just scored watermelon tourmaline in a matrix of quartz 20 ducks!!! And a huge quartz crystal!!! And this fossil and a dirty amethyst piece.

8 Likes

That’s an awesome piece of watermelon tourmaline, nice and dark piece for the amethyst too.
I need to get a black light, my amethyst is attached to calcite which glows red under uv

4 Likes

That’s sick. I was really impressed with the price on the tourmaline had to have it, been looking for it for a while.

2 Likes

Got some! Woot