Roux's Hydroponics -fall 2018-

Hey all, hope you are all well. Kinda a rough week for the gardens. Unfortunately, they have suffered some ozone damage. You will see some necrosis in the older leaves, especially the young ones. With that being said, besides the damage, they are healthy and growing.

Sexing continues as all plants have pre flowers and the ones that haven’t shown their sex yet, should show the goods in the next few days. Counts as of today are:

• 11 Males
  • 9 Females
  • 10 Unconfirmed

Maintenance continues as the ebb and flow reservoir/equipment in the flower tent was drained, cleaned, and refilled. Treated 15 gal RO water to 1250 ppm @ 0.5 and 5.7 PH, set at 68ºf water temp. Once the males are all out I’ll trim the lower canopy.

For auto tent, they really are not as sad as they look…they are growing great, bumped their food, and they are building a great root system.

The DWC reservoir/equipment was also drained, cleaned, and refilled. Treated 10 gal RO water to 950 ppm @ 0.5 and 5.7 PH, water temp is 70ºf. I did cut off some the plants leaf tips due to the necrosis caused by the ozone damage.

Have a good weekend everyone!

5 Likes

Ozone Damage

Here is a little insight for ozone damage.

Notice in the first stages you will see necrosis in between the leaf veins starting near the leaf blade tip, working its way down to the rest of the leaf. This can occur very quickly during the first hour of exposure. Young plants tend to suffer more than older plants.

Beginning stages of ozone damage:

Advanced stages of ozone damage:

In the advance stages of the damage we will we the necrosis spread downward toward the base of the leaf blade. The affect leaf blade tip and edges will yellow and dry out, causing the leaf blade curling into itself. This picture is after 24 hour after initial exposure.

7 Likes

I’ve never used ozone, just didn’t see the need and while your not encouraging me to try, it is interesting to see what toxic levels can do to a plant. It’s not good for us humans either from what i have read :fearful:

3 Likes

Nice setup Roux.

When you move your babies into the netcups, are you taking them out of the rockwool, or putting the rockwool into the pebble medium and burying it?

And in image 3060 and 3061, where the netcups are freestanding in the black tub, is this basically just a black tub with a certain level of water / nutrients?

Thanks, I’m doing an aquaponics setup and trying to gain any wisdom.

1 Like

Hey there @FunkyPhantom, thanks for stopping in. I’ll help anyway I can.

I’ll share my process for these seedlings:

Pre-soaked the rockwool cubes in nutrient treated water to 400 ppm @ 0.5 (EC 0.8) and PH to 5.7 for minimum 24 hours

Put the seeds in a moist paper towel in a Ziploc bag, and set some where warm and dark (my computer server does the trick)

When they sprouted tails. I took a rockwool cube from the treated water, shook the excess water by windmilling (not squeezing) then gently placed the seedling in the rockwool tail down, seed head up.

In the seedling tray, they were covered with a humidity dome. Conditions were 75ºf and 80% RH.

Once they all had a tap root sprouted out the bottom of the rockwool, I transplanted them (including the rockwool) into the 5" net pots. Filled 1/3 way with hydroton, put the seedling cube in there, then filled it up the rest of the way until I covered the cube with hydroton.

Just be sure not to crush the top of the seedling when filling they hydroton.

But there are many ways to do it…this is just a way I found that works for me and my setup.

Now as far as your second question and based from the pictures you referred, I’ll refer you to this post of mine from last year for a second…

Know as Ebb and Flow, but more commonly referred on here as Flood and Drain

It basically a table that fills with nutrient treated water from a reservoir using a pump, for a certain amount of time then drains using gravity. This occurs for set hours throughout the plants day.

I use net pots so I can freely move the plants around…however many people fill the entire table with hydroton and plant without net pots.

Whelp, I hope this helps a little, and will be looking forward to see your grow once your up and running!

2 Likes

Thanks Roux.

I got it now (I think). I like your system, DWS for veg / clones, and Flood table for flowering.
I was aiming for a Bubbleponics setup like this:

Yep, my Solstrips should be here in the next day or two. My biggest concern is going to be keeping the water temperature in the sweet spot of 65-77 degrees… our winters here are cold. :wind_blowing_face:
I’ll be detailing everything in my post soon. Thanks again.

1 Like

Well the canopy is as even as a fun house mirror…in combat, I just tilt the light and skew the plants from shortest to tallest. They all healthy and happy at there 1200 ppm feed. They drink so much, I have to flood at night for a couple cycles otherwise the roots dry out. I’m adding 5 gals plain RO water every 2 - 3 days to maintain water and PPM levels.

29/30 plants have showed sex…12 total female plants

• 3 - C99 x Romulan
  • 3 - Grass Monkey
  • 2 - Tangie
  • 1 - Tan Hammer
  • 1 - Space Cookies
  • 1 - Cinderella 99
  • 1 - NL#5 BX

The one plant that is not showing is a runt (front left in pic), Its an NL#5 BX

Nice thing is, all 7 strains have at least one female, so we will get some variety this run.

I did end up trimming bit more. The bucket is all from today and just cleaning up the lowers. Looks much better, and the lower canopy fan now can blow threw the nutrient swamp.

Tomorrow will be maintenance day for the reservoir and flood table. They will be starting their full bloom nutrients at 1200 ppm, so we will start to see some bud production. They are currently at the end of there 2 week transition nutrient regime.

Meanwhile in the other tent…

The autos are taking off now. I spread them out a little bit, you can tell from the pic, they were fighting each other for space. Small buds are starting to form on both the FAMs and DDs. So during maintance tomorrow they will be put on full bloom nutrients as well.

We are at the crazy root stage for this DWC unit. We are starting to get our airy fuzzy roots on top, and the big “soaker” roots on bottom. It looks like a mess of roots, however they do separate easily with some gentle motions.

Have a good weekend y’all!

10 Likes

Well the plants seemed to enjoy the 1400 ppm of full bloom nutrients. I got a bit crazy with my formula and ended high and decide to roll with it. They are all fighting for space, so I’ll probably do another trim this week and get rid of any lower branches that won’t equate to much.

Buds are forming and the bouquet of smell makes its hard to leave the tent. Hoping the main stretch is done with, as I have maybe 6 more inches of vertical space, I have been supercropping them to fill gaps and to keep height in check. Gotta tell ya tho, them C99xRomulan are monsters!

The only sensitive plant in the bunch is Space Cookies, you might see some nute burn on the tips of her leaves in the front there. I’ve been pushing them hard, but seems she is the only one throwing a fuss, nothing too bad, and she will get over it.

Here dem autos…

Even the autos are starting to bud. Running them high at 1500 ppm with full bloom nutrients. They seem happy and content. There is a mutant in there, and against good advice I decided to keep it and let it flower instead of pulling it. The ease of autos is real, damn fun doing an auto run! Half way there…

Have a great week everyone!

8 Likes

Keep the great updates, strong and hungry laddies it seems.

My DWC cindies are actually eating a bit less than expected, but happy (two have reallly slight burns on the tips, other two showing nada)

1 Like

Flower Tent

22 Days from the switch to 12/12 and things are looking good so far…However, That last remaining Space Cookies plant hermed and was tossed along with a mutant tangie that hermed (should’ve been culled long ago).

Still rocking the feed at a modest 1400 ppm (2.8 EC) and they are loving it. They have been fighting me on stretching so I am supercropping them to keep them at a decent level. But they have all filled in quite nicely

The one NL#5 BX that hasn’t shown sex still hasn’t shown any preflowers - instead it just started to make them buds lol its a girl. So with 2 loss and 1 gain we are at 11 plant count between 6 strains.

Grass Monkey-

C99 x Romulan-

Tan Hammer-

Northern Lights #5 BX-

Tangie-

Cinderella 99-

Auto Tent

30 Days for these gals and they are loving the 1500 ppm (3.0 EC) feed. Outta the 5 FAMs 2 are punny and are extremely overshadowed by the 3 big ol FAMs. So out they went, Yoink! Now the other 3 big gals got some room to spread. Avg canopy height is about 18 inches.

Really cool to have the 3 Dark Devils going because of all the different shades of green, yellow, purple, violets, and magenta that these plants are throwing off.

• DD#1 has very purple / magenta calyxes
  • DD#2 has a mix of purple / violet / green calyxes
  • DD#3 has green / yellow calyxes

Dark Devil #1-

Dark Devil #2-

Dark Devil #3-

Have a good week everyone!

9 Likes

Thought I grab a few shots outside the tent, 25 days since flip…These are the donor plants for the selected moms that were cloned a few weeks ago.

Grass Monkey-

Tangie-

C99 x Romulan-

Cinderella 99-

9 Likes

looking good! nice to see the old avatar back

2 Likes

I find this post to be quite… erotic.

3 Likes

Awesome! Ive never seen anything like that Dark Devil. Good Halloween plant!

2 Likes

Snapped a few from the Auto Tent today at day 35. Phone isn’t cutting it anymore, think its time to get out the DSLR

Have a great weekend! :v:

12 Likes

your high def shots broke my phone speed lol

2 Likes

Id like to see what those look like with a super close-up. Im wondering if the trichomes are dark purple too or is that just the background or?

1 Like

I am hoping they turn out like @Pedro_Bann’s run

2 Likes

Thanks for that link. I had forgotten about those. Amazing looking!!

1 Like

My pants just got a little tighter.

3 Likes