Sebring's Perpetual No-till Living Organics

I’ve never had currants, their completely banned in my part of the state. I’ve tried unsweetened black currant juice though. Man was that strong stuff! I like it much more after it’s been fermented :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. I am on my second year with my blue, black, and raspberry plants. Plus the new ones, strainaholic habit started with berries a few months before I started growing MJ again hehe.

9 Likes

Why would they be banned? Diseases?? Just curious.

Great to see you again, @Sebring! Glad to hear you’re staying busy. Here’s to a great spring! :beers:

5 Likes

Yes, the whole family of plants are host species to a disease that spreads to white pine trees. Until relatively recently, they were nationally banned. I’m in Maine, the pine tree state, big lumber industry. Up further where white pines aren’t the main type of trees, some currant varieties are allowed, but still not black currants.

8 Likes

I didn’t even look to see if currants were banned here. However, one of the currant plants I have is a direct clone of a wild currant I ran across and they sell them in nurseries (the real test for banned status). I tried to eat the currants, but they’re mostly seed. I have multiples because they bloom very early, giving my native bees an early food source, and they are just beautiful plants.

17 Likes

Glad you are providing for nature @Sebring . We always sway people from cleaning out their gardens until about now, in the Midwest, so the native bees and bugs can emerge. Many overwinter in the stems of native plants. We have been planting a food forest of natives, including aronia bushes, service berries, Golden currents, paw paw and persimmons, among other things. We try to stay away from plants that don’t belong, and could potentially take off and push out others. Let nature be your teacher. :green_heart:

13 Likes

I saw an article in the recent Maximum Yield mag (Aug/Sep 20) that has an article on the best plants for pollinators. I’m glad I saw it. I’m gonna try and find the best ones for my area and add something in. I have plenty of room.

3 Likes

Awesome man! Good on you. Mind if I ask what area? Maybe I can help. :green_heart::seedling:

2 Likes

My grandparents had a black current tree in central Illinois; oh man does that make some killer jam. Had cherry jello mix in it I think.

But that tree never really produced much, must’ve been 10 years old maybe 8-10ft tall. Surprised they’re so invasive.

2 Likes

Not so much the invasive problem, they host a disease that kills white pine trees.

3 Likes

Awesome podcast :+1:

Listening to this guest felt like hearing myself talk!

Also, I got bit by a raccoon two days ago showing signs of rabidness. So, I’ve spent the last couple days getting the rabies vaccine and dealing with my hand that the doctors stabbed 12 times with an a needle of immunoglobulin to make absolutely sure I wasn’t going to die of rabies.
I was able to get the raccoon tested, or what was left of it when I got done with it, and it turned out to have distemper rather than rabies! (Humans can’t catch distemper.)
Catching up on emails as quickly as I can and contemplating what photoperiod plants I want to pop seeds for. I’m also trying to figure out what I should do with my personal stash of seeds, aka the backup seed vault, since I honestly won’t ever have the opportunity to plant most of them. There are just too many.
What does everybody think? Should I toss them all in the freezer for long-term storage? Or put them out into the community where they’re more likely to be used, while holding back a very small percentage that I know I might actually grow in the future?
I’m mostly of the opinion that if cannabis seeds are just sitting in a stash with way too many to ever plant, then they might as well be future mulch that just hasn’t made it to the compost pile yet.

29 Likes

Feed the masses I’d say save what you want to keep and purge the vault even if 25% get grown better than none .

10 Likes

That’s how we feel about seeds too. Our company doesn’t hold onto seeds for more than 2 years, just so there’s a good rotation, and they are still viable. We deal with seeds that are native to the Midwest though, much different than cannabis. But still, like you said, compost waiting to happen.

So I’d say keep what you really want and send the rest on their way.

Glad you don’t have to deal with rabies. That’s not fun. :green_heart::seedling:

10 Likes

I don’ know you get anything done fella…always working with one hand it seems. :frowning: But here you are typing away. LOL At least no rabies…I heard the shots are no fun either.

2 Likes

Seed box surprises! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::grin::green_heart::seedling:

9 Likes

First and foremost, I am glad you don’t have rabies. To the other issue, what do you feel like running? Find that strain you have been wanting to run, but haven’t had the time and go for it!

4 Likes

Wish I could give that about 50 likes!

3 Likes

I’m really taking a shine to the idea of adding them in as surprise freebies in the spring box.

Well, I do know that I am going to be running LA confidential, for seed to give away, Maui moon glow and blueberry moon glow, because I think they’re going to be really good crosses that I made, but haven’t actually had a chance to run yet. The two moonglow variants are strains I’m planning on working with for a while.
I probably have room for one more photo period strain. I’m happy to take suggestions on what everybody thinks that should be. ( Whatever it is I’ll be making seed of it to give away, of course. )

Nothing but death will slow me down, and I’m a hard mofo to kill!:rofl:

27 Likes

Northern Lights #5. Or some variety.

And my vote goes to throwing extras into the spring box. Heck, clean out that old stock. People here will either grow them or get them to someone who will.

5 Likes

That’s like 50% of all strains.

Ask and you shall receive.

I’m thinking I might actually have to list them all out… Which is both scary and exciting…

[Saved for list]

13 Likes