“Seed Breeder” discussion/opinion

I’ve heard that Black Widow is good for migraines.

2 Likes

A Tanzanian strain called the Elephant flattener, aka Kilamanjaro, was around at the time, but I’m thinking you smoked an old Hawaiian Thai heirloom called the Elephant, being that you are on the West Coast.

7 Likes

It’s Cryptic Labs Oaxaca. I still have a few seeds from @Papalag and @Trowertripper I could pass out, but my own Old Silversides Oaxaca line won’t be ready for a little while yet. It’s about as close as you’re going to get to Dr Grinspoon, which is alleged to be an old Thai by some. I see Oaxaca in it myself.

5 Likes

I still have the Oaxacana I made from your original offering you sent me as well as the cross I made with the chocolate rain

If you all need any.just hit me up

3 Likes

@Panamajock has been seeking Chocolate Rain for some time. Where did you find seed?

As I ran low on my stock, I began passing out seed from you and @Trowertripper. I’ve passed out nearly as many as I want to. I like keeping seed from several lines if possible. Good to know I can hit you up for more😁

6 Likes

I still have a few

These were gifted to me from our friend @Islayhearts
He did a repo years ago

Paps

4 Likes

I keep seeing people say this, yet all indications are that there’s more diversity and variety than ever. The world is our oyster, we can have our pick of landraces and thousands of strains to be at our doors inside of a week. Also, clones and seeds/strains from various eras are easier to get than ever.

Sure, there are a lot of cookies out there, but there is nothing homogenous about the gene pool in my opinion.

4 Likes

Just send the PM and I’ll get you some. Not an issue at all.

2 Likes

I yet don’t understand this “homozygous “ term being thrown around in response to my comments,
I will ask YET AGAIN…
what homozygous traits are you looking for? White? With brown eyes? This is a plant people; not a dog.
Ie the “homozygous” traits your looking for would In Theory be the color green, (purple is the recessive there)
Correct me if I’m wrong,

“I don’t see any homozygous traits”

tell us the traits you are indeed referencing and we can go from there.
(Ie. Height, shape, color)
Broad statement there tho the “homozygous” statement.

2 Likes

We both have been skeptical as to how relevant Mendelian laws are to our favourite plant.
It’s only relevant when you have single locus simple traits that are completely homozygous and exhibit traits via dominance/recessive outcomes. Mendels punnets are interesting from a general perspective in that they introduce the concept of alleles and dominance etc but it’s not something you can apply to the practice of breeding weed and can be a bit of a dead end for understanding how it works in practice.

Exactly, for any ‘trait’ to be homozygous, it needs to be one that breeds true to type AND it needs to be defined as a distinct trait etc. i.e. lemon smell is not a ‘trait’, but instead a whole bunch of contributing ‘traits’.

One example I have messed about with is pink/red pistils, as this seems to be a simple trait.

6 Likes

@Upstate
I have plenty of oaxacan seeds but I’m careful about who send to. If they just show up and start demanding seeds withing a few days on overgrow I’m not interested.
Let me know if you have some one you want to turn on to my seeds.
I have a huge collection of (mostly pearl stem).phenos.

8 Likes

Hey i demand you send me seeds😎

I been here more than a week :sunglasses:

You send em yet ? :sunglasses:

15 Likes

We are not often aligned, but on this one it’s without any reserve for my side. I’ve to mark the day with a white stone ^^

The mendelian model still the tool i used the most (and still using), even with fems production at high constraint of stability. But never like i read often, with the mistake to understand the dominance as a binary status that is not relative to his own subgroup of expression.

For the Punett square, i just talked about it to my son this evening while he helped me to deal with the plants. He don’t give a fuck about cannabis and breeding (even if it pay his university lmao), i just explained from where come my actual genotherapy. From an evolutionist priest that played with peas to understand the real sense of the life ^^

So it’s a double white stone … i was sincerely thinking that you was handling the punnett square asked by Bateson as a predictive table. Like i see everywhere in our cannaworld and that make me crazy often ^^

7 Likes

Not sure I follow. I was introduced as a surfer 91-92, and this is how I know intimately about the infamous Crippy of FL, it’s also how I knew about G13, Bubblegum and Original Haze. I doubt I would’ve known any of it had I not been in a surfing clique. I wouldn’t say any of that is schwaggy chronic, but I definitely had my fills of brick compressed to dirt brown crap. And my first plant I grew was from schwagg seed, but I did that to LEARN before using my expensive seeds :face_with_monocle:

Sorry, nobody is going to tell me plants are BETTER now than then at mid to late 90’s, all the seed I traded/cuts were STABLE and no weird behaviors. The only odd ball plant was something called Wonderbud at the time. Again 95-2001 all the seeds I popped and cuts exchanged, not one dammed hermaphrodite appeared. I knew about them from reading books, but my personal growing experience never encountered any when sexing seed plants during that time era.

5 Likes

I would love a few of these if you have enough to spare @Islayhearts?

1 Like

Easier access to what appears to be more selections than in the past, doesn’t mean you have more diversity.
It means you have more access to homogenized polyhybrids than ever in history. In my opinion that is nothing to celebrate. Ever wonder why all these modern mashups just smoke like the same thing ?

Yeah, normally commercial plant breeders choose the best parent varieties by their measurable traits as well as their general and specific combining ability scores. The best looking and performing plants are not always the ones that pass on those attributes. Normally a ‘top cross’ over a known stable variety is done to find out a plants GCA/SCA scores according to the specific traits of interest. Heterosis is always greater the bigger the genetic differences, though not all genetically distinct varieties will exhibit marked heterosis when hybridized. Again top crossing is used to establish ‘stud’ breeding varieties/plants.

The main reason for using inbred lines for making F1’s is to maximize the hybrid vigour and their general adaptability as well as provide a known quantity of product. These goals are arguably less important to us than they are to most food and fiber crops etc. @upstate you might find the process of making composite and synthetic varieties to be an interesting approach. There is a good overview of the process here:

6 Likes

Explain this concept of homogenized polyhybrids. It feel like a contradiction. I grow a lot of old stuff and a lot of new stuff, it all depends in what you like, and you can find most of what you’re after easier than ever. That goes for the old stuff too.

In the last few years alone I’ve grown strains from the 90’s that you could not even acquire unless you were very well connected. You think it’s homogenized, I think it’s a good time to be growing cannabis with the variety of choices.

When someone can run Zkittlez Cake next to a Congo Hybrid, Blueberry, Cuban Black Haze, Stardawg, Diesel, SLH, and any number of strains new and old, it’s fun times I say :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

It’s probably less of a technical term than a description of when all the strains being sold by dispensaries are just genetic grey goo. Selfed to buggery, all cookiesgelatoruntz and all boring as bat shit.

That said, for growers I agree that it’s a bit of a golden age in terms of what is available.

5 Likes

Ok, but I don’t find it to be true. I’ve had SSH, Giesel, Jack, Stardawg, Deathstar and four or five of the dreaded cookies hybrids you speak of from dispos in recent times. The places I’ve been have a lot of cookies as well, many of which are varied in their high. I get what you guys are saying, but the problem is more the dispo and their suppliers than the genetics. But beyond that, its supply and demand, and the dispos will carry what they sell.

Until fairly recently I was lucky just to find halfway decent weed, let alone a believable name attached.

3 Likes