Seed Run Co-Op Bodhi S1 Goji OG

@twistedinfinity For flowering, if I move the light to 18" above canopy, using the lux app and conversion, I am only getting around 40K lux which is around 580 PPFD. So, that’s why I lowered the light down to 12" in order to get around 800 PPFD, but as mentioned, my plants burned. So, now, I’m at around 18" and I’ll take another measurement tonight. I suppose it’s also dependent on the strains’ sensitivity to light intensity and we have to constantly adjust. Yeh, I know that for veg, you want lower PPFD.

What is your Lux and PPFD at 18"?

3 Likes

@farm3r Yeah they may not be a very direct comparison for LEDs since they are so different. These QB96s are running around 150-160 watts per little board, possibly more.

At 18’’ directly below one of the lights (there are 4 in my 4x4) my phone is reading 64,000 LUX - when divided by 67= 955 PPFD - In comparison to someone with a real meter that tested at right around 1000 PPFD.

That’s interesting that your plant would be burning at around 800 PPFD. I will have to check but I think I may even have some plants that are even closer than that because of crazy stretch and they still seem to be doing fine.

What’s the strain?

2 Likes

Thats because you are using that light meter app on your phone, which is crap, unless they have improved it over the last 18 months when I tried it. I would take those readings as a rough guide rather than fact. The light sensor on the phone is not sensitive enough to do a good job compared to the real thing.

6 Likes

@twistedinfinity At this URL, you can calculate your PPFD using Lux. It has QB96 Elite V2. So, I don’t know if yours is elite or not. https://horticulturelightinggroup.com/blogs/calculators/converting-lux-to-ppfd

Interesting that you’re getting 64K LUX at 18". I only get that kind of LUX reading at 12". Note that I got mine from China. Also, like you said, the QB96 are obviously different than the QB288 which are running around 120W.

The strains that are burning are: Lemon Skunk (by DNA Genetics, bag seed), Quarter Pounder Autoflower (by Canuk Seeds), and Honey Peach CBD Autoflower (by Sweet Seed). I had just finished Black Diamond OG (clones) and had them at around 12" but no burnt at all. hmn…

5 Likes

@farm3r Yeah looks like their equation came up with almost the same number as dividing by 67. I don’t know why they have different spots for the different boards… seems like Lux is Lux and you divide it by 67 to get in the range of the PPFD.

These QB96v2elites only have 96 diodes on them whereas the 288 has, well, 288 diodes.

The diodes on the QB96 are different and they call them “high output” in their description, which would make sense since they have a lot more power running through them. 160w with 96 diodes compared to 120w and 288 diodes that you are running.

3 Likes

@twistedinfinity I see, thanks for the explanation about the model number as I never bothered to figure out what those model numbers meant.; and I see now why the 96 has so much more power.

3 Likes

@Shadey Do you think the phone light meter app is really that much different than from, say a professional light meter? Even HLG website has the Lux conversion online calculator and by having this online they sort of endorse using it because a real PAR meter or something like that would cost thousands of dollars.

4 Likes

The software is only going to be as good as the camera light sensor on the phone.

I checked the link in your other post, to see if it was the same app as I used. I don’t think it is. The one I used had a spectrum analyzer on it as well as a meter and it was about 26 months ago. My phone back then probably only had a 2 megapixel camera on it.

The fine print on the one I used, said for teaching and demonstration only. Which told me it’s not a precise instrument and not to believe what it’s reporting.

For the light company to advise its use to test their product, says they have faith in this app, I guess they would test it before saying it’s good to test their products with.

The only way to know for sure is either put the app on another phone and see if you get the same readings from the same light, or get the real deal and compare.

If like me you got the app, because you didn’t have a couple of grand spare to get the real meter, I guess you are going to have to trust it, and maybe burn a few more plants or not, as the case may be lol.

Personally I wouldn’t :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Regarding the lux stuff, learn to read your plants. Light levels should be proportionate to other things such as VPD, hours of light and plant health. Increase the light as your plants need it - I generally aim to make them pray, they seem healthiest then. Having a set number or setting can often seem like the easier solution, but a little consideration generally gets better results. Same as ppm - the sweet spot is not necessarily a hard and fast rule.

9 Likes

@farm3r No problem my friend. In terms of using the phone vs an actual meter I am personally happy with the close enough reading of 950 PPFD when the actual reading from someone with a real meter and same setup is achieving a reading of 1000 PPFD.

That is using a Samsung Galaxy S8 to capture the LUX.

@MikeM Totally agree. I am shooting for the estimated ideal conditions and then listening to the plants and letting them tell me what they like… This can be a bit hard because im running a few seeds of different varieties that are all different heights, but im trying my best haha.

3 Likes

Since I’m new to the growing scene, even though I have read/researched a lot about Bodhi seeds and genetics in general from other breeders as well, why doesn’t Bodhi keep mother(s) of his prized and super popular strains like Goji OG? Sometime you lose mother, but geez, such a popular strain should be kept at all cost, no? Why even discontinue something that sells so well?

3 Likes

First this may not be that accurate :grin: I know that Bodhi has kept certain cuts of phenotypes of Goji around and even passed them out to the community down in California. I know that he has bred with his own selected cuts, but I do not know if he continues to hold those cuts (I am going to guess that he either has a lot of them himself or people he has passed them onto still have them, perhaps this more likely).

I think that a lot of Bodhi’s lines such as Goji, made with Snow Lotus male or his Appalachia crosses are no longer available because of certain mishaps that caused him to lose his male, possibly when gone on a collections trip etc.

There is a possibility of F2s being released… maybe? If bodhi still has seedstock of the original strain and feels obliged, although I get the feeling he wants to move forward and leave that up to us… I could be horribly wrong!

6 Likes

Gotta share, really proud of these after 5 weeks on the left and a little over 4 on the right. Flipped them on the 1st of July!

21 Likes

I think Bodhi is all about progression, not regression. Once a cross is made, why revisit when you can make a new strain? Similar to the artist known as Pretty Lights. All his sounds are analog. That forces him to progress instead of falling back on something out of complacency/ laziness. However I cannot comment on another mans intent

7 Likes

If and/or when you do i hope you will stick around.

2 Likes

@Badfishy1 Well, when you have created a masterpiece, then it’s wise to preserve it for future generations.

3 Likes

Who says Mr B thinks Goji is his masterpiece? We see it as a masterpiece but he may be aiming for something else.

6 Likes

This 100. Rarely do the public and artist agree on a masterpiece. Perhaps he sees ‘flaws’ in it. Those with his drive rarely settle on 1 masterpiece. Personally have never seen a billionaire stop at 1

6 Likes

Having a bit of my price Goji bud today

18 Likes

@MikeM

Fuck that looks delicious…

K.

7 Likes