Seed Run Co-Op Rare or Discontinued Preservation Project In-house Special

I’m sorry everyone…but I can’t happily go forward with all that’s going on with these seeds…i was just trying to give back…but grow culture is my personal safe zone…and I put my best effort in what ever part I’m involved in…but after jillz words…i know I won’t wanna give my time towards the genetics…which is a bummer because I picked those gifts from hearing good things about them…oh well thanks Sebring…:wink: if you find a keeper in those sweet strains…save me a clone. Lol

13 Likes

Add another strain to the preservation wishlist-
Pre-2014 malana village landrace (aka malana cream or malana hashplant)
This line has been contaminated with hybrid genetics at the origin point and is lost in it’s pure form. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to get enough healthy seedlings from my stock to preserve the line for the community. If anyone has malana stock from real seed co or other sources gathered in or prior to 2014, that would be well worth preserving.

8 Likes

so i have a question now. how do other seed manufacturers deal with things like this? places that make veggies and flowers and such that we buy every year? there can be hundreds of variants on some of these plants. do they patent them for a set amount of time, after which they are free to use by others?

i want to make sure that if i ever start growing on a large scale, maybe make a few of my own strains, that i don’t offend others by my choices now. i am accumulating some different hybrids and would like to use them to create something in the future. i would like to spend the time and effort to make it a stable IBL before marketing it and selling it. i would like to make money doing this. and i don’t want to step on any toes.

4 Likes

Discontinued and rare strains are a great way to start. (Hint, hint :wink:)
They provide a popular, well tested, non controversial, set of genetics with known characteristics, from which to start.
We had exactly you in mind when we crafted this preservation project!
Our strategy for preserving strains required that:
they be in demand;
more or less in the “public domain”;
that they be available to ALL at no cost (full inclusion regardless of the perceived communal worth of the recipients);
and that they be would be preserved by a community of dedicated knowledgeable committed growers.
I think we’re smashing it out of the park!?!?

This strategy would assure the maximum distribution and preservation of these genetics.
It would require us to work as a community towards a goal greater than ourselves. Also, we’d need to teach those less experienced and to rely on inspiring volunteers to make it all work. Where is it easier to accomplish that than here?

(Now you’re privy to what me and @Hoodini spent hours discussing!) :blush:
This project was started because we saw the talent, passion and commitment of the OG community! We believed in YOU! :hugging: :wink:

18 Likes

if by some huge stroke of luck i am able to start growing/breeding in the future and can make a living at it, i don’t want to be seen as some others that have been discussed here on OG. some of whom i had a great respect for until i learned more about them.

my idea was to try and find as many of the older strains as i can to find something new. take that and stabilize it so that when some one buys seeds they can count on getting the same thing from each seed. so much of what i see now isn’t like that. we buy seeds and hope it’s like they advertise. most of the time it is close. when i buy tomato seeds, i know what i’m getting and it’s the same from every seed in the pack. why can’t weed be like that? it takes a lot of work, i think one of you guys said some where else that NL#5 took about 20 years to make?

i want to grow weed. i have since high school. i still get weed fever every fall. every plant i see when i go outside looks like wild weed. i want to grow tons of it. and make money at the same time. not millions, just enough to pay my bills. i want to watch people smoke my weed and see them change mid exhale. (or pass out mid exhale, seen that too lol)

8 Likes

This is definitely the best place to work towards that!

3 Likes

I too am very interested in french touch’s reunion strains and they are reasonably priced . I have also been waiting on some Mauritian seeds, They are said to be closely related to reunion and with some Madagascar I think.

4 Likes

I have some seeds that are a cross of Ghana landrace X sour diesel that I think might go well with your current Jungle Spice projects…

6 Likes

Just going to drop this here. :grin:
:fire::fire::fire::fire::fire:Projects Needing a Breeder:fire::fire::fire::fire::fire:
:fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire:Infinite Euphoria:fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire:

Volunteer Breeders ???
@oleskool830 @MVB @Worcestershire_Farms

8 Likes

@Sebring Yeahhhh… I’ll need to pass on this one. Lmfao. Has anyone actually seen these genetics grown first-hand? There’s a bunch of joke genetics on that site listed for crazy prices that redirect you if you try to buy em.

7 Likes

Now that’s refreshing as hell.

:cowboy_hat_face:

5 Likes

Ain’t nobody got time fo dat. Thanks for thinking of me! Maybe in the fall. Love and Gratitude…

:cowboy_hat_face:

4 Likes

Ok! That sounds like it’s up my alley. I love sour d. Wanted to get my hands on that CBG Ghana, but slept on it too long. Do you by chance have pollen from that cross?

I’m planning on making hybrids of one African sativa each time I advance the JS ibl generation. Next grow I’ll be running F2 to make F3, and I think I’ve settled on running some Durban from cannabiogen. After that, possibly Nigerian and then Malawi.

9 Likes

Very good problem solving @Sebring …in a way we vote when we put our name on a strain’s list. I’m ignorant of all the breeders inputs on lots of these and really starting to think about the ethical implications. I guess I don’t want to ever get involved in a bickering over seeds. I sure don’t want to hurt somebody counting on seed sales for a livelihood. However, I equally think it’s a damn shame to lose genetics.

9 Likes

Those where my thoughts as well. :blush:
Good thing we aren’t actually losing them. It’s absolutely possible to run a BX2-3 and have a strain be considered “different” than It’s F1 origin. It probably shouldn’t be considered different, based on genetic distinctness, but it is within the commercial seed breeding industry, so I might just push Timewreck through that loophole and watch seeds rain down. :wink:

17 Likes

I’d like to grow some new strains, but just sprouted 3 more so my grow room is somewhat full. I’ll have a few in flower come June so I’d have some space for 3 plants then. I’ll grow them and distribute since my breeder tent is empty.

4 Likes

Hey @Sebring. If this is still an option I’m in. Thanks for reaching out

3 Likes

@zephyr I plan in purchasing the malana cream from the real seed company as soon as I can afford it. Hopefully it dosent sell out , I have several of there strains if anybody else has the malana and does a preservation run before I can I’ll do one of there other land races I already have and we could trade.

8 Likes

that’s awesome heritagefarms, I’d love to see some of these pure strains gathered at the origin point preserved for the community.

In general I think the seed co-op should try to preserve and distribute as many landraces as possible. after all, they are the genetic originators of most of out modern hybrids, and in the future, these may be the only way to bring vigor and biodiversity back into the hybrid genepool.

11 Likes

I do agree that keeping the landraces and older heirloom varieties pure for future breeding stock is essential to maintaining a diverse and healthy population, esp now that strains are making there way around the globe and intermingling with eachother at a ever increasing rate. Genetic bottlenecks are a dead end road, look at the royal family. It takes alot of work and planning to keep lines pure and stable but still maintain some genetic diversity amongst the population to avoid the mutations and lack of fertility that comes from inbreeding.

11 Likes