Seeds From Friends

Hey @Vagabond_Windy, are you running gen 3’s or 2’s?
I ask because I just built one similar (20 x Gen 2’s, 640 Watts), now I’m figuring out height/power/ventilation. Tough keeping the tent under barbecue temperatures at full power :joy: :sunglasses:
sunglasses a must!

Cheers
G

3 Likes

Is one better than the other? Would a mix be good? I have been wondering about this as well.

3 Likes

These are gen3 strips. I have to sit down and really read up on everything but I suffer from some kind of adhd I think

2 Likes

I’m thinking they might just be cheaper and older tech but still efficient. But tbh I have almost no knowledge on leds

2 Likes

I’m using them in a 4x4 tent at about 80%. The drivers have 2 dials and I keep them both at about 80% on the dial. Once again not really hip to LED stuff, learning as I go. Feel free to use this thread for help because I need it as well

6 Likes

@Gpaw They’re 2700k Bridgelux Gen 3 90cri 4ft strips, 20 total strips in the tent, 10 per remote-mounted HLG-320H-42a drivers. 90cri because of the significant extra far red.

@Badger People do it because people do everything, but you generally don’t want to mix and match strips of color or model on the same driver for a variety of reasons, mostly having to do with voltage differences that stress the strips since the drivers only produce a single voltage. A single color temp is all you need for either veg or flowering, but people often use 3000k or 3500k as a general purpose color temp to do both in a single grow space.

6 Likes

I worked the numbers for myself last month:

Gen 3 is kicking out 14% more lumens/watt
and costs 76% more $$

The physical sizes & voltages are different as well.
So I went Gen 2. Another guy here went Gen 3 because of the physical size and efficiency.

Cheers
G

5 Likes

Are you sure the physical sizes are different between the regular Gen 2 and regular Gen 3? Or are you thinking of the Gen 3 Slim? When I look at the spec sheets the dims, pcb, and all hole positions and everything else look the same for Gen 2 and Gen 3?

As for price, the Gen 3 (11.29 ea) from Future Electronics are only 34% more expensive than the Gen 2 (8.40 ea) at Digikey’s closeout pricing (only place you can get them anymore), and Gen 3 has 90cri which adds much needed far red. It’s more expensive, but I feel like the extra efficiency and efficacy of the added far red are worth it if you can afford the extra $60 build cost in going Gen 3, since you won’t need to supplement.

5 Likes

Thanks so much buddy. Is there a good spec sheet that compares the 2 (spectrums also) ? I assume 3500 will leave you a bit more open to stretching in veg? Can you take that some by turning up the power or putting the light closer?

3 Likes

Ha, I picked the same drivers. :+1: :laughing:

I agree, a bad idea mixing different strips unless you are familiar.

On the other hand.
I looked closely at specs of the BXEB-L1120Z-35E-4000-C-B3 and the 50E
You should be able to swap those in even in a parallel build (the forward voltage numbers are a close match). Ok, no overdriving though.

Sorry for highjacking the thread… oops

Cheers
G

3 Likes

No worries please. This is a safe space. I’m perfectly ok with healthy discussions :+1:t3::heart:

9 Likes

It is much appreciated letting me learn with you. Maybe I even need to catch up at first :rofl:

2 Likes

Day 18F for these DLA 5 F2s

23 Likes

It will be a struggle for them moving forward because of their pot size but up potting is not an option. I will charge any issues to the pheno hunt/seed cleanup.
The last pic is a close up of the 4th pheno. She is developing trichomes faster than the others :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Can’t wait to see how those DLA 5 f2 turn out. Can really see the 88g13hp leaners in the group by the leaves! They didn’t stretch too much, either. That’s cool.

Is the rest of the tent harvested already? Landos, Jabbas, Runts, etc?

7 Likes

@nube Getting close on one of the Runtz phenos like literally a day or so. Then the others have a few weeks still. Here are Runtz F2 1&2, Lando 1&3&4 followed by the cracked out pheno of Jabba as of today

27 Likes

Jabba is throwing nanners again upon inspection and they seem viable so I am cutting them down unfortunately

5 Likes

Runtz looking like a cookies cross should look. :slight_smile: Landos needs more time but is looking solid. What the fuck happened to that Jabbas? Cracked out is an understatement. So it wasn’t environment last round, I’m guessing? Rough. I guess they can’t all be keepers.

7 Likes

Day 24 F for the 4x DLA 5 F2s

The one in the bottom left corner almost died due to my procrastination and busy schedule, hence the leafs. Also none of these were 100% healthy going in. Looking forward to more issues but otherwise they are doing well. The zoomed in picture is of the tallest pheno in the top right.

18 Likes

Those DLA5 F2s sure are pretty. Do they still have that hot, wet dumpster smell? The thought makes me salivate; it is safe to say that I am a weirdo haha. Positive vibes…

~nugzz

7 Likes