Seeds - Regular vs Feminized vs Auto

??How come when looking at the seed banks some say auto and some auto feminized. Aren’t all the autos female? They never say auto reg.

Most autos i see are fem but some seed banks do offer reg autos. Don’t see many wanting to breed em though cos for one thing the offspring are not inclined to autoflower lol

1 Like

@G-paS most auto’s are fem but there is regular auto’s though not many breeders put em out, see ,if they’re feminised then you need to buy more ( or reverse a female for seeds) ,but they’ll still be fem. I think top tao seeds do reg auto’s…?!
Anyway If you have regular auto’s then you can make more reg auto’s…
I hope this helps…
Gaz

Edit @G-paS it’s probably fem as regular auto’s are rarer than chocolate tea-pots… lol…:arrow_lower_right:
Happy growing…

@legalcanada did you up-pot your 3 bears og and how does it look now.?
Gaz

I am not breeding just planted my first Auto. It doesn’t state fem. I was assuming, now wondering???

2 Likes

i’m growing a 3bears OG right now but not giving it a fair go, it’s flowering in a solocup under a 230w blurple in 65* temperature but its getting some nice flowers on it so far

3 Likes

That’s not true, auto x auto is 100% auto. Auto x photo is likely all photo. F2 is where you see autos pop up about 25% of the time.

6 Likes

Whos auto is it? What variety?

Barney’s Farm either lemon or tangerine. It was a freebie I got from The Vault when I got my first order to go thru. Before I came here.
I looked it up & it is tangerin dream.

2 Likes

its feminised. regular autos aren’t very common i don’t think.

2 Likes

Have to think of the progression, and the growers wants, at first all we had were regulars, then feminized seed came along, i remember people bashing them that they are inferior, and that they just grow junk, and all of them were hermies. But now look where we are, what percentage is feminized sales out there, wouldn’t doubt they are in the 85+% range now of all sales. Now with autos becoming better the same thing is happening, more people are offering auto versions, but a lot are just jumping on the band wagon for increased sales producing mediocre to garbage stuff, but a few out there are actually breeding on improving auto genetics.

But yes there are regular autos out there, its just all the sales are in feminized versions as most people who grow them aren’t looking for males, all they want is bud. Added bonus especially with autos is your forced to go back and buy seed every time unless you make your own, but really is that a big deal for a grower who may grow a plant or two a year, again comes down to money and sales and nothing more.

Not gonna try and convince you of anything @ray ;), but i will give you something to think about. Our sativa’s and Indica’s of today were never as potent or produced as much compared to how they did through history. The goal of them has always been to carry on their genetics, no different than how us as humans do. But for example in the wild any plant will adapt over time to gain advantages on how to carry on, some plants grow tasty fruit that the seeds of get migrated by animal sources, some plant spread roots far and wide popping up new shoots to spread as far as they can, some create seed that can float on the wind.

Cannabis if left alone over time would favor those plants that can make and reproduce the most effective, whether its the first ones to seed, the ones that grow taller than their neighbors allowing more sun and more seed to be produced, to those ones that excrete chemicals to prevent eating by animals and insects or infectious issues causing the stronger more adept ones to survive .

But here’s the big one, how about plants that produce chemicals that when consumed by certain species “human” cause a wide range of pleasurable effects, which have caused humans to hunt, curate, and carry on those plants genetics because we enjoy them, and guess what over time we have cultivated and selectively picked the plants that are more beneficial to what we like, naturally that wouldn’t happen, but it’s the “good” genetics that are carried on by our own hand. Now who’s really using whom, the plant to carry on its genetics, or us to use the plant how we see fit ?

Saying that sure adding some auto genetics to a landrace probably wouldn’t help anything, but if bred over time for desirable traits who says we can’t get to the same level as desirable effects, or that we aren’t already getting there now.

Also the auto genetics you have to consider where it comes from, its adaptation is to carry on its genetics no different than any other plant, but for them success was to grow and finish as quick as possible cause if they didn’t winter would come and kill all of those genetic lines that couldn’t carry on their seed. So who’s to say we aren’t the ones polluting the highly tuned auto genetics that have been doing fine without us, and now were adding in stuff that slows them down, makes them less focused on seed production, produce scents and or chemicals favorable to animals, it’s really on how you look at it, as there is no clear answer.

Just something to think about :wink:

9 Likes

Fenotype is all we can really go by unless we have access to a good lab so i go by look, smell and general health etc. You cannot accurately predict which genes will remain dominant and appear in the offspring and which will be recessive and not reappear. From what i’ve seen the male Ruderalis genes can become recessive so the offspring quite often wont autoflower but i’m no breeder as you can probably gather. A male auto obviously has half of it’s mums genetic material and half of it’s dads so If you cross with a female auto don’t you run the risk of breeding out the male autoflowering genes? I’ve had plants that didn’t resemble either parent in any way because of recessive genes becoming dominant in the offspring. I guess what i’m trying to say is - when it comes to autos anyway, it’s better to pay for quality beans than wasting precious time and energy on crap. Real breaders know their shit lol

(Disclaimer) science according to a stoner (me) aint exactly known for it’s accuracy.

5 Likes

It’s basic Medelian genetic. The gene responsible for photoperiod is dominant, designated by P. The auto flowering gene is recessive, designated by p. The plant gets one gene from each parent. But in order to express autoflowering, it has to have both p genes (pp). So, if you cross an auto (pp) with an auto (pp) there are only p genes to give, so all offspring will be auto flowering. Now, if you cross an auto with a regular, it gets more complicated.

8 Likes

So how do you get something like feminized auto Blueberry?

Do you cross a Blueberry reg with ruderalis? Then grow out the progeny in search of a male and female that both possess dominant auto flower genes for breeding auto Blueberry?

3 Likes

That’s where the breeding work comes in. For simplicity, let’s assume you want to cross an auto lowryder (pp) with a photo Blueberry (PP). Your first cross will yield all plants that are photoperiod (pP). Since P is dominant, they will all be photoperiod. You would have to do one more cross to get 25% auto (pp) and 75% photoperiod (pP,Pp,PP). From that point you can continue breeding just the autos, or backcross to the Blueberry and start again locking in the traits you want along the way.

This is the same if you use a male or reverse females to make fems.

4 Likes

Pretty much it. Take a blueberry, cross it with your auto of choice. Grow out those f1’s finding the ones that best represent the blueberry genetics, cross those again as auto’s being a recessive gene only really pop up in around 25% of your f2 generations. So grow those out finding the auto genetics and the ones that best represent your blueberry genetics, and cross them again, and now you have the start of a “blueberry esq” auto line, that can be further refined or tuned as subsequent generations are bred.

Little bit different than doing an ibl as your crossing protogen with each other instead of back to the mothers or fathers of choice, but its essentially the same.

6 Likes

Haha posted at the same time

5 Likes

yeah beat me by a couple of seconds

4 Likes

6 posts were merged into an existing topic: Micro Growing with Mr. Sparkle 2018

Thanks for all the informative feedback! Some of it is really in depth.

So my take away from all this is that, for growers, they are all theoretically equal in terms of potency and being true to their breed. And autos will usually finish faster than regs or fems grown at 12/12 from the start. Is that basically the gist of it?

2 Likes

Is there any reason not to grow autos with 24 hours of light???..am i the only 1???..i havent given these autos any dark—…been 24 hour light for 63 days