Should I be worried about these leaves?

It would be easier if one side or the other was obviously WRONG, but both sides have logical, reasonable arguments that make good sense to me. On top of that, both sides can “prove” it by showing pics of awesome grows. That last bit makes me think it might not really be that big a deal either way.

5 Likes

Probably no, it’s what works for you in your garden.

2 Likes

If you do not mind, what is that book, booklet, etc… that you are showing in this picture?

Regards,

mike

thanks for the links!

mike

your leaves looked like calmag issue to me. i skipped the 50 posts after the pictures so not sure if you figured it out or not. was i close?

1 Like

The book is a real oldie. Not sure it is available new, but maybe on line.

The biggest problem was me under feeding. Once I started feeding regularly, and at much higher levels, they perked right up and look much better.

The last several days, I have noticed some purple coloring of the stems on some of the fan leaves, and a little on some of the main stems. From what I have been reading recently, that is a sign of calmag deficiency.
I ordered some calmag and will start adding it as soon as it gets here.

2 Likes

ya purple stems sounds like magnesium you could try adding epsom salts for magnesium if you have it. magnesium will also cause yellowing like this. sometimes some plants stems just turn purple though, it seems a bit more common under LEDs too. if that’s your only symptom and calmag doesn’t fix it i wouldn’t worry about it

this leaf def looked like calcium.

2 Likes

Other than the purpling, everything else looks pretty good to me. I started adding the calmag Friday, and they are looking happier already!

2 Likes

This is day 30 of 12/12, so I thought Id post a progress pic or two. Other than some minor feeding hickups, they are doing well I think.

Im having a hard time judging how these compare to other grows. Most folks dont show anything in the pics for a size reference, so its hard to compare. Thats why I stuck the soda can in there :slight_smile:

One thing I find interesting, and a little puzzling, is the wide range of variation between different chollas (sp?) and buds - even on the same plant? Some are tightly packed and others have a lot more space between nodes/buds. Some buds have long hairs and some dont, some are much bigger than others. Very interesting.

The other thing that is puzzling to me is that the rear two plants are significantly taller than the front two. I have two Northern lights on the left side and two Critical CBD on the right side. The two plants in the back sprouted first, and got planted first, but only by a few days. The CBD in the right front was last to sprout and be planted, but it was only about 4 days behind the first Northern Lights in the left rear. Those two in front have always been lagging behind the other two.

7 Likes

They are looking very good Larry. If you look closely you will likely find the top colas to be bigger than the bottom ones on the same plant. Might be difficult to notice with the screen. You can notice differences in clones grown from the same plant just by how fast they grow, or the size of the cutting can make a difference IME.

1 Like

Thanks for that info! I just looked under the screen and its kind of hard to tell, but I think you are correct. The lower branches do seem to be growing the smaller colas. The way my training ended up, I have from 6 to 8 main branches on each plant which then branch out again several times. The second and third branchings are for sure the smaller ones.

1 Like

Ok, another confused newbie question. Im 5 weeks and 2 days into flower, but Im seeing a lot of amber trichomes!

I have 2ea Northern Lights plants and 2ea Critical CBD - all from Nirvana. The flowering time for both is listed as 7 to 9 weeks - but Im only in week 5, and seeing a lot of amber trichomes in these pics.

Am I seeing this correctly or is something else going on? These pics are just using my cell phone and a cheap macro lens. I will be getting a 100x USB microscope tomorrow, so I hope to be able to get better pics then.

From what I have read, you dont want a lot of amber in the tirchomes?

Also, some of the buds still have lots of long white hair things but others buds have the hairs starting to recede or shrink a lot.

Its confusing. Should I start my harvest now or?

In this pic there are not that many amber ones.

quite a few here - but this bud still has lots of white hairs?

This one has a bunch too.

This is the runt of the litter - last to sprout and last to show sex, but first to have the white hairs recede. It has some amber trichomes, nut not as many as the older plants. The first pics is a lower, smaller bud. The second is a larger top bud.

5 Likes

@anon32470837 your garden is looking great. Nice canopy. The amber you’re seeing is mostly on the leaves, so don’t worry about it yet. They will plump up a bit still. You’ll want to look for a ratio you find appealing on the bulging calyxes in a couple/few weeks probably.

I only see glass and few cloudy trichs.

1 Like

So, you dont worry about the trichomes on the leaves?

I think Ive read at least 6 different FAQ’s on when to harvest and what to look for, and not a single one mentioned that you should ignore the leaves and only look at the calyxes. Is every one who writes up a FAQ on MJ high as a kite when they do it? It seems to me that is a fairly important detail to leave out. Especially since the leaves are a lot easier to see and the obvious place to look. (sigh)

Ok, sorry for the rant. Im better now :slight_smile:

BUT - can you define what an “appealing ratio” would be a little more precisely? I have no clue what that would be.

From what I have read so far, most seem to say that any amber means you have gone too far…

Oops - almost forgot - THANKS for the help :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@anon32470837, at five weeks, you still have two or three weeks minimum. Trichomes can turn tablet on leaves from handling. Nothing to worry about.

2 Likes

The hairs tell you she’s still hoping to get pregnant, and has energy left to grow. In many sativa-heavy plants they’ll just keep throwing white hairs tho, but with shorter flowering plants they’ll usually stop. To judge harvest based on hairs you really have to know the plant.

Trichomes are a good way to judge if they’re ready too, again, if you know how she affects you already.

My preference is to go by the size of a fully mature calyx vs the immature calyxes. When they’ve appeared to swell as much as they’ll ever swell, then, and only then, do I start looking for signs that they’re ready to harvest.

4 Likes

Thanks guys.

When the microscope gets here I will get some better pics of the calyxes.

The cannabis hairs, lol.

99%

1 Like