Sibling Rivalry

I have said to Mrs Foreigner “I can’t go because i won’t control myself and it won’t be pretty.” In a different context though, but I feel you.

2 Likes

Oh i misunderstood, i thought you were one of the twins :man_shrugging:t2::joy: lol! My mistake

1 Like

I haven’t read this entire thread yet (I will go back and do so shortly), but want to answer before I forget the thread exists.

I have twin older sisters. They’re 9 years older than I am. I’m 73. I live in the U.S., they live in Canada and New Zealand. I have no relationship with either of them due to entirely personal/familial reasons. Nothing political. We all agree pretty much on politics.

They communicate on occasion I believe. The three of us got together at my Canadian sister’s house maybe a decade ago. It was ugly, and the three of us had not been together in the same room for at least 30 years.

It pains me, our lack of a relationship.

6 Likes

Maybe my expectations are too high. A serious possibility.

If they weren’t my siblings I would have pulled the plug long ago.

3 Likes

Sad thread to read but happy it’s a place for everyone to vent a bit.

I’ve got a ‘modern’ family like so many others with divorces and stuff like that so got different siblings across the age and distance spectrum. Overall they’ve all been great to me and I’m very lucky to have them. Life can get lonely and it’s special to have people you can count on.

5 Likes

Decided to not sleep today…

Nothing wrong with having high expectations though.

2 Likes

I have two sisters they are both assholes. I’m the middle child maybe I’m the asshole.

5 Likes

I e had issues here n there with my bro n sis. I’ve turned away and shit on the rest of my relatives because they are all crappy people. I only talk to my mom dad bro n sis now. nobody else from family.

1 Like

My sis is 13 years older than me, decided to have kids in her late 40’s resulting in her chemistry being a mess and no idea of what will happen with her twin girls once they hit puberty as they were SUPER PREMATURE.

On top of all this she chose to follow our mother’s career path, which made our mother’s health get worse and worse as she worked and is the reason I’m not close to my mom… as she was always working… on other peoples kids… as a Principal of elementary schools.

I looked at my parents and went: “okay, do this, but avoid that.” She saw the same thing but mixed up which was healthy and which was toxic :rofl:

Still love her though… but it took over 1 year for her to find out that she could have removed her side door by removing the hinge screws so she wouldn’t have to go 10km each way to do her laundry at our parents because her broken washer and drier wouldn’t fit out the opening with the door on.

Bless her… but also I’m worried for our future; she is a vice principle and I hope the kids are learning SOMETHING useful for the physical world versus only the online stuff.

:man_facepalming:

4 Likes

Me too. In my opinion, everyone is kind of a dick sometimes. The important point here is that we recognize that aspect of ourselves rather than glossing over it/denying it.

3 Likes

What is it… “all happy families are happy in the same way and all unhappy families are unhappy in different ways.”

I think it’s Chekhov. Maybe Tolstoy. Shit I don’t remember and I’m probably butchering it anyway.

2 Likes

It’s Tolstoy, from Anna Karenina.

2 Likes

Nice. I’m usually half right :joy:

It is really a dam shame with sibling and families with the problems we have with them as they are supposed to always have your back when blood is supposed to be thicker that water and you should always have the ability and know your family will be there for you without judgement. I find the direct opposite we all have better friends and relationships from total strangers on OG than with are family’s. I attribute that to respect for each wether right or wrong. No judging going on around here. I to have bad sibling issues to the point I don’t even talk to my younger sisters at all and my younger brother only calls when he wants something. They are always very quick to judge.

3 Likes

Im trying to have my brother’s back. Mrs Foreigner said if you were in trouble he would do the same. I’m forced to disagree. But I tried.

2 Likes

There is truth to the axiom “Familiarity breeds contempt,” and family are often the most familiar. It’s almost as if those words are somehow related! :laughing: :rofl:

3 Likes

My immediate family are all dead and have been for decades. There’s very little conflict or drama, and nobody’s feelings are ever hurt. Quite uncomplicated, if nothing else…

Usually, I distract myself by reminding myself that most people are subconsciously saying the latter, at least a little bit. Sometimes it works better than others. Sometimes I cling stubbornly to traditions and cook a Christmas ham, then eat the leftovers till February.

5 Likes

This is a good strategy.

It doesn’t work when they don’t show up at all.

Mrs Foreigners family is famous on a small island whose name you would know because they are known as the family that can’t even get along in death because of mysterious moving of the caskets. That seem to be kicking each other.

2 Likes

myself i have younger brother who has always been a thorn . he mooched off my parents for over 15 years. i lived in florida and owned a bar . my mom told me he had quit drinking and druggin…so i invited himto florida gave him the spare bedroom in my house put him to work in the bar. and once again was taken advantage of he stole out of the bar hit on my wife spanked my 3 yo and lied in court during my exs and my divorce procedings but thats another story. needless to say i havent spoken to himfor over 12 years wich suits me just fine. he has been a scum bag his whole life and im thinking nothing will change

4 Likes

Bro you look after you. It does you no good trying to help people like your brother. I understand he shares the same blood but if he cared about you like you did him he’d not have stolen from you.
Since I fucked my siblings off my quality of life has just got better. I’ve pre paid for my own cremation so I don’t have to rely on anyone and now I just live my life my own way.

2 Likes