the one thing you got going for you with that pot

is the fact that it is a clay pot they will suck the water out of the soil

so watch how much you give it and it should be fine

all the best

Dequilo

5 Likes

turkey baster :slight_smile: here

3 Likes

Too much water. Water it only once every 4 or 5 days. You are drowning the plant.

1 Like

Another suggestion that was made to me was to not use a clay pot. They heat up more and can be dangerous for the roots as they get bigger. I am growing several plants right now with various soils. MG, Fox Farm and some of our own compost mix. I am using tap water without letting it set. The problem is definently over watering IMO. I do not have the experience growing weed, but years of growing plants. Good luck and wait a while on watering. What are the temperatures like where you are at now?

This is one of my plants my grand dog ate some of the leaves on. He chewed on 6 of them. None look like yours.

1 Like

It’s high 70s mid 80s

So I poked a bunch of holes like someone recommended to help it dry a little quicker so I’m going to let it sit outside in it’s normal spot and just let it do it’s thing prayers for the best but I will keep you updated in a couple days

1 Like

The temperature is to cool for watering that frequently. I have been dealing with the same temperatures and I have only been watering mine around every 5 days or so. I put my seeds in the Jiffy starter pods 4 weeks ago today, so I say our plants look close in age. I would give it some time to dry out. If it rains, move it to a protected area until it dries out, then once it is doing better, I would move it from the clay pot. I hope this helps. I have gotten a lot of good advice from the folks on here since I am new to growing weed. Just trying to pay it forward. Good luck and keep us posted

That may be true my friend but an advantages of clay is the pots lets air move in as it sucks water out

hard to kill a plant with water if the roots have enough air

plastic pots will hold water way longer and if they are black they get hot in the sun pretty fast

I have not grown in clay pots forever as they are not cheap, they do break and as you go up

in size they get heavy

back in 1982 when I started working in the greenhouses growing flowers for the florist trade

the greenhouses were glass, very tall and most plants were in clay

but times sure have changed

all the best and grow well

Dequilo

3 Likes

I appreciate that feed back on clay pots dequilo. Do not want to give bad information to others. I will eventually move mine to the fabric pots once any males that appear are removed. I only used my clay pot as a temporary fill in. I am glad to know that they can still flourish in a clay pot too. Always great to learn more each day. Enjoy your day!

2 Likes

@dequilo

From my understanding

Clay pot - doesnt keep heat well and can crack from the roots. One drainage hole

Plastic - easy to transport. Convenient. Can get root bound. Low air for the soil. Heats the soil

Fabric pots - good air circulation. Can be air pruned. Easy to move and carry. But difficult to transplant to a bigger size if required.

I ask you your opinion as you said you worked in greenhouses. Would love your opinions.

Currently i use plastic coz im lazy.

1 Like

not bad information at all :slight_smile:

I am just offering a different view point

have a great day and all the best

Dequilo

1 Like

all great points you made about different pots

I use plastic inside and out as i do not put plants in the ground

makes them to hard to move if need be :slight_smile:

also if you use blow molded pots they are dirt cheap to buy

but that being said i have not bought a pot since 2001, most of what I have

has come from the side of the road when people are tossing them out

so I try to keep them out of the waste stream

fabric pots work well but I would have to buy them and no need to spend money for me

it the all depends on the plants your growing

when I worked for Jones and Scully in Florida growing Orchid everything at the time was in clay

since you are growing in bark chucks, Osmunda root and charcoal

you need a heavy pot or your plants fall over

I will have to look for photo the last time I grew outside here I used rope handle tubs

that people put beer and ice in with hole cut with a hole saw for drainage

one way I have found to get any pot to drain is put a layer of gravel/stone at the bottom

soil will dry quicker

all the best

dequilo

5 Likes

We use stone in the bottom of all our large pots with things we do not harvest. Definetly helps the plants we feel. I have a lot of the black plastic ones since we buy distressed plants and try to safe them. I use the pot for things we start from seed or for plants we give away after they recover. We hate to see plants just get thrown out.

1 Like

Helps to keep plastic pots from blowing over when they dry out with large plants :slight_smile:

I have not mix soil as I have been inside for awhile using pro-mix

but when I do I always throw gravel, silica sand and soft rock phosphate

gravel gives you drainage and weight

grow well and stay free

Dequilo

3 Likes

Thanks @dequilo so helpful and insightful.

Yeah i just pick up pots on the side of the road. Or friends houses

2 Likes

I’ll never understand how people think a seedling needs to be watered multiple times a day, every day.

Seedlings themselves, don’t use much water, but they do need moist medium for proper root development and spread.

The terra cotta pot you are using is very porous and the medium will dry out quicker than it will in other pots. Get a saucer that the pot will fit in and start watering from the bottom by filling the saucer with water and let the medium absorb the water by capillary action. There is usually only one drain hole in the bottom of a terra cotta pot, that’s ok, the water may also be absorbed directly through the bottom sides of the pot that are touching the water.

Poking holes in the soil can be a bad idea. You can’t see where the roots are and run the chance of breaking some essential roots in the attempt to aerate the soil. For plants, all roots are essential, and causing root damage to a small plant can harm or kill it, depending on which root(s) was/were damaged.

No matter what kind of container is used for a plant, it can become root bound because the roots are contained and only have so much room to expand outward. Fabric pots use air pruning to expand the root tips and don’t experience much root circling, but they can become root bound too, because of root containment.

3 Likes

Ok and to be honest I was never told not to water him multiple times a day everyone I talked to before I started all told me there feeding twice a day so I just assumed that it’s completely my fault for not researching a little better in that department and it don’t look like this one is going to make it so I will take this as a learning experience and try and get some more seeds to try again

2 Likes

Give it a chance to dry out before you give up on it. Try with other seeds. I would not give up yet on the first one. Just my opinion. I started my seedlings in a Jiffy seed pod, then went to a solo cup after the first week. After about 3 weeks I went to a pot. I am very new at this, but it is what I have seen in journals and it worked for me. Good luck and keep growing.

1 Like

I’m just going to let it dry and see what happens

2 Likes