Socal Seed Vault - Anyone dealt with them?

SSV was super responsive and prompt on my order. Friendly too. Picked up Highland Oaxacan Gold, repro from Classic Seeds, which I am growing for seed, sensi flower, and breeding projects. Just harvested the seed run and the beans are huge! Can’t wait to see how the sensi turns out!

8 Likes

Hey there. You say you already started his Oaxacan? How’s that looking? Legit? I picked one up from him too.

1 Like

Classic gave heirlooms to Kagyu and Snowhigh, so I assume his stuff is the real deal. I just ordered a ton from SoCal and the dude was great. I ended up picking up the Mexican Heirloom, Mexican Red Hair Skunk, AG, Old School Hashplant and a few others. The Red Hair are the next seeds I’m running and I’m stoked to find some of the 80s/90s mexi I remember.

6 Likes

That’s a hell of a variety. What do you hear about his AG? If anything

1 Like

I have noticed, to a degree worth mentioning, that the packaging often reflects the one who packaged it in the seed game. It reminds me of how the quality of acid was reflected by the choice of blotter. The best trips I had came on plain white blotter or green shields. It went down as symbols and cartoon characters increased. Not a definitive thing of course, but makes for a place to start when considering new packs. SSV passes this test with flying colors and I know them to be legit.

1 Like

Is this the print?

4 Likes

Holy shit where in the world did you get that?!??!? :laughing: :rofl: :joy: :joy_cat: :laughing: me and my homeboy are fuckin dying over here! I havn’t seen that shit since like '98

2 Likes

1998 was good times. Hell, the whole late 90’s

4 Likes

Thanks man and I haven’t heard anything, but I know a lot of the heirlooms Snohigh and Coastal have came from him, which makes me wonder if these are the AG that John works with and I love. It’s my favorite AG on the market and what I recommend to people, so I’ll be able to tell pretty quick once I run them. The first ones I’m running are the Mexican Red Hair Skunk and Jacalyn though as I’m dying to find those happy highs I remember from the good shwag in the early 90s.

3 Likes

Got a few more.

3 Likes

Always wanted to do your Romulan. Finally broke down and got it recently and will be running it outdoors this summer. Semper Fi!

Haha, loved it back in the late 70s, early 80s!!

Wow that was fun looking through that. I’m a bit worried that I took a metric shit ton back in the days of yore. I recognize way too many of those tabs :laughing: the Felix was incredible, I will say that, original blue backed anyway. Bummed black sunshine wasn’t on there though

2 Likes

Yeah, I only recognized a few. I was still in high school in the late 90’s, and I mostly had the turquoise colored mad hatter ones. And those weren’t really that powerful. Can’t say I ever had a true trip experience like you read about.

It is difficult for me to ascertain whether this is *the Highland Oaxacan Gold * for a couple of reasons. One is that I suspect there were multiple cultivars out of Oaxaca that were marketed as HOG, much like Kona Gold that came out of Hawai’i or Durban Poison from South Africa. These classics often eclipsed local varieties that had their own native names and local ethnobotanical histories but were rebranded for the international drug trade. I wish I knew what her campesinos called her when she was growing on the mountainside.

I can confirm that she does not look like typical NLD cultivars including some lowland Oaxacans I’ve seen others grow out. Her leaves are larger and a little broader, though they do become more narrow up the colas during flowering like many other tropical sativas. I am not sure if this is more typical of highland varieties given the different microclimate.

Here are two males and a female in veg:

And here are the three or them on the right side or the tent. The left side is Zamaldelica x Hawaiian, Kwazulu, and Afghani Humboldt heirloom. You can spot the Oaxacans as the plants with the largest leaves:

The stretch in early flower was not extreme compared to other tropical sativas I’ve grown e.g. zamaldelica. The stature is medium height. My understanding is that some of the old highland sativa heirlooms have been bred to be adapted to the shadier, cooler mountainsides of the sierra, worked by the hands of talented cultivators who have traditional ecological knowledge and understand how to select for powerful medicinal plants that are adapted to their microclimate. I can tell this plant has been worked, and probably does quite well on the mountainside.

I want to describe the sensory experience of this cultivar. The stem rub during veg reminds me of walking through the jungle after a herd of white lipped peccaries trampled through- they left very loud scent marks that could only be described as foul, musky, and offensive. Probably not a metaphor that helps most but if anyone had experienced this smell you know exactly what this plant is like during veg. However, during flower, the odiferous peccary stench faded and was replaced by salt water taffy with earthy floral notes. The juxtaposition caught me by surprise! I only took this strain to seed to make some crosses with the males (the female was heavily seeded and produced very little smokable flower) but current run looks like it’s going to go for maybe 12 weeks.

Here is the sensi at week 7:

A week ago I smoked some heavily seeded bud that was quick dried (had to remove like 80 seeds!) and I felt a tingly sensation in my head followed by a light elevated sensation. It only ran 8ish weeks so was not done developing psychoactive compounds or terpenes but it was still effective. I was drafting this response and became more curious so I de-seeded another few nugs and rolled one up. It is a smooth sweet smoke and gives me happy, warm feelings and an ‘up’
high. I’m listening to the song “Sonate Pacifique” by L’Impératrice and all the layers of synths and arpeggiators are popping out in distinct ways that tickle my brain. I can feel waves of endorphins rushing across my brain and through my central nervous system that correspond to chord changes. There is definitely some psychoactivity. There is also a body high. I can only describe it as a warm buzz- not the super electric feeling I get from my Zamaldelica x Hawaiian heirloom cross. This is more like a warm, glowy buzzy sensation that keeps the embers inside aflame.

The seeds I harvested last month are larger than average which I understand is a trait of Mexican strains. They are brown in color with faint tiger stripes. Can’t wait to pop more and explore some phenos as well as some of the crosses I made (Afghani Humboldt heirloom x the Oaxacan- going for a reimagining of Maui Wowie).

The true test, of course, will be whether she exhibits the effects typically associated with Oaxacan- soaring, warm euphoric high with no ceiling and some trippy sensory and cerebral effects. If she is anything like what I had in Mexico or Texas in the 1990s, I will be quite content! So far, I like her effect but am reserving judgment for when I can sample some fully ripe flower. She should be harvested by mid to late February, will report back again!

8 Likes

Fantastic descriptive report! Thank you much.
Was your HOG done by Alter Ego and sold by SoCal Seed Vault? Seed pack image below from their site for reference.

This HOG is sold out but they have others that sound really nice. Like a “Mexican Heirloom” “Colombian Gold” and “God’s Gift”.

https://www.socalseedvault.com/store/index.php?controller=search&orderby=position&orderway=desc&search_query=Alter+ego&submit_search=

2 Likes

Yep that’s the one by Alter Ego, repro of Classic Seeds. :wink:

2 Likes

Awesome. They used to be on strainly but now i order directly from their site. Great prices and “B” throws in a free pack of a SoCal Seed Vault strain w every pack ordered. Very generous they’ve been.
Read great things about B’s Chocolate OG.

1 Like

Can’t wait to see that Mexican Red Hair! Please post pics in the coming months! I keep resisting the temptation to pick up a pack each time I see them in stock.

1 Like

G, you are a very talented grower AND writer. Thank you for taking the time to give us a preview of those genetics. I had to look up what a peccary is.

2 Likes